Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
View Poll Results: Which type of combat do you prefer?
One design (same plane shape/size) with common and battery) 1 4.35%
Similiar planes (Kens single motor combat planes) and common motor and battery. 14 60.87%
No limits except battery size (900 mAh 2S) 3 13.04%
Anything that flies....no limits 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 22, 2009, 06:38 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,443 Posts
relative to chargers, I have two, the first I got from Dealextreme ( http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12856 )and lucked out - I happened to have a wallwart power supply for something that had the exact voltage output (12) and connector, so just plugged it in. It will charge both 2s and 3s packs, and charges to exactly 4.17v/cell, just a little bit below the max recommended. It's slow, and only charges at 800ma one cell at a time, so not the best for field use, although i found a lighter plug with the same connector, so have used it at the field. For me, When I'm working on a plane (new or repairing the latest crash damage) I just plug a pack in and let it work while I play. I can recommend it as a good starter charger. (oh yeah, DE has free shipping, too! Takes about 2 wks to get here, tho) The second one I got from HobbyKing ( http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Charge_Capable ) It has .5,1 and 1.5 amp charge settings, so works for the smaller packs (got a 500mah 3s pack). It isn't quite as consistent as the DE one, but generally stops charging a little before the 4.17v/cell, and if I feel the need, I'll swap the pack to the DE to "top it off".

I also have had really good luck with the mystery 2s batteries from DE ( http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7621 ) Got over 70 charges on the first pair I got, and still working fine. Now have 6, and they are the most frequent packs I use. Even have made a "Y" wire set to run two in parallel for 1800mah capacity. The only downside is the jst connectors, but my planes seldom get to 10 amps static, so haven't had a problem (yet). I use powerpoles on the bigger packs.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2009, 09:48 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,526 Posts
You just reminded me I still have a few Airhogs chargers and 12v wall power packs. They were from StormLaunchers. I can sell them for a $1 each. Talk about a low cost balancing charger! Only good for 2S packs. I even have some factory sealed with the 2S 740 mAh 25C batteries. (I would need $10 for those charger, power supply, battery--packs.) I also have two sample add-on cell balencers, so if you find a low cost non balancing charger stop buy and I'll fix you up.

I heard today my table is along a side wall near a door. The door will only be open for setup and closed during the show.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Last edited by bz1mcr; Jan 22, 2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:15 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
geez Don, I'm thinking I should just head for your table & throw you what cash I do have and say hook me up!

I mentioned to the wife about coming to see ya & now she's afraid she'll be bored as while we talk shop & mentioned that maybe she'll hang with the baby that afternoon. If she only realized how big of a mistake she is making by letting me go alone.

Hey Springer, I appreciate your interest in watchin' my madness. Speaking of which, I couldn't wait for the weekend & printed Tony's BB plans & started cutting. Also bent my first airfoil! I figured I would document my first serious build. I threw a pic of Gene's Stang I did over the weekend too. I have been an artist all of my life & this stuff is right up my alley. I seriously can not believe how relaxing building a foamy can be.
The neighbor has a genious 11th grade daughter that is taking college course cad classes & made a stang & gave it to me so last night I tried my hand at hot glueing. Took a pic of my first seams as well.
I think I'll call him.... Mini Me.
Oh and I cant believe what the corner of a Kenmore dryer can do for you when you want to make a simple airfoil wing.

1 question & then I'll leave everyone alone until tomorrow.... for the simple airfoil wings, is just bending over a good edge alone good enough? or does it need to be heated also?

Thx again yall for all the good advice.
Jimmy

Oops, forgot to add my pics...
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Last edited by Jimmy JFlyer; Jan 23, 2009 at 04:05 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:01 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,443 Posts
If you heat it with heat gun/hair dryer (not sure if the hair dryer is hot enough?) it will "set" the foam better. It also will tend to take out the wrinkles you got on the inside of the bend. Don't know if taking wrinkles out makes the foam stronger, but it looks better. The heat does seem to make the wing slightly stiffer. I do my UC wings using the "bendfoam" jig perfected by Gene Weber (gpw), while Don bakes his. lots of ways to get there. Tony's original forming was just like you, cold over an edge of table. I think he also recommends heat treating the finished product.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2009, 04:08 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
my pc locked up doing pics last night. their up now.

Yeah Springer, I'll heat that wing before glueing it together. Actually, I'm off to Harbor Freight to get another gun tonight. Mine pooped.

Jimmy
Old Jan 23, 2009, 11:19 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,443 Posts
Jimmy: build looks good so far. do you have any dihedral in the wing? Hard to tell from the pix. You probably want about an inch at each tip. Also, you will want to reinforce the leading edge with skewers or dowel, makes stronger and damage resistant. do a search of the BB thread for skewers, Leading edge, LE reinforcement for tips on it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2009, 06:38 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Jimmy: build looks good so far. do you have any dihedral in the wing? Hard to tell from the pix. You probably want about an inch at each tip. Also, you will want to reinforce the leading edge with skewers or dowel, makes stronger and damage resistant. do a search of the BB thread for skewers, Leading edge, LE reinforcement for tips on it.
Thx for checking it out.
I don't have dihedral in it yet. I was so excited last night to be making parts but needed to go to bed. Had to get up at 4:30 am to get a jump start on claims before little princess woke up. I cut 'em out so fast, the h stab i didn't even tape down the template, just held it & let the blade fly. And the wing, I no sooner had that thing cut out that I was down stairs rolling it on the edge of the dryer. And yes I did learn the hard way about using SHARP BLADES.

I'm just too excited to be doing this for the first time & being at home with a wife I don't see & the 16 month old, what little time I get is usually spent in a hurry.
Actually my butt's in trouble. I have been done here at work for an hour now & haven't left yet. I couldn't stop surfing the attachments in the BB thread.

Tomorrow some time I will hit Michaels for wood.
OMG Tony's thread is HUGE! That man is on his way to "Devine" status for sure. I was just looking at your pics of the BB Fun Fly.

Can you do me a favor & post a link to how to do the dihedral in the wing? I saw it a long time ago & forgot how. Or maybe just "splain it to me.

I'm shuttin down, wife's gonna kill me.

I'll be around later after the little one hits the hey.

Jimmy ....oh and on a side note, Kendall's hand...ug
Old Jan 23, 2009, 09:23 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,443 Posts
Oh man, you're definitely hooked! I know how you feel, my Planes folder on the PC is 7.3gig. Next summer, you can join us out at Stony or the place on Shoenherr! The BB is a popular plane, and the thread is a great source, if gigantic. You can search just the thread and I'm sure you will find several posts with pix of how to do the wing dihedral. I think Ken (dz1sfb) posted a diagram not too long ago. Basicly, since you have the full wing cut, you could perhaps just heat it and put some dihedral in, but the precision way would be to cut at the centerline and holding the cut edge to a sanding block at the approximate angle, sand the bevel in each half. then using two things that are the same height (I've used bank checkbook boxes, erasers, blocks of wood, etc. set the wing up at correct dihedral. I typically put packing tape on the bottom before setting it up, then set to angle, drizzle gorilla glue in the gap, and apply tape to top to hold the glue in (or just let it foam and trim back then put the tape on). You will want to apply the skewers to leading edge too. I'll do a quick search for some pix.

didn't find any, must be using the wrong search words. Perhaps Ken will chime in and post the link to his sketches.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by springer; Jan 23, 2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:08 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
Well, I'm back at it for a few. Got the H stab hinged, (had to cut a 2nd one...hurried pace + dull knife = 2nd chance to cut an elevator.)

Just now cutting the 4 pieces for the monoblock. Couldn't find any foam think enough around the house.
Promised the wife I would go to bed with her tonight (which I need to anyways since Sat mornings are daddy daughter mornings ) instead of coming to bed 2 hours later after sittin at the pc surfing rc groups.

And don't even get me started on this summer!
I also want to check out the church in Troy as that is about a 2 minute drive from my work. I'm on the 5th floor in the West green glass building on the S E corner of Livernois & 16 mi / Big Beaver.
Notice the Slo-V on the floor in this pic, just begging to be flown. I will start keeping it in the car & try out the church if I ever get a slow enough day to take a lunch. I fly my little AeroScout in the court yard when its not windy after work sometimes too.

Yeah I got it pretty bad alright.

And yeah, the wing will get supts.
I'll look for dihedral pics too. Otherwise, I'm sure I can figure it out on my own. Already cooking up ideas in the brain for a jig. Maybe even use the heat gun too.
Cross your fingers.

Jimmy JFlyer, over & out
Old Jan 24, 2009, 09:07 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
found dihedral info

Fresh brain in the morning, some coffee....ah, there it is.

Post #75 of The Divine One's BB thread.
Although I'm sure there are probably other post's too, but that one answered my question with a good pic as well.

This may be a bad idea or a good one, I'm not sure. Probably bad since the swap meet doesn't go on for too long.
I think it would be cool to have an area cleared out with some tables and peeps can bring in some materials, maybe have some peeps selling foam on the spot, and have a designated work area. People could check out others idea's and get valuable info from others on building their projects. Maybe even have one of you Guru's hold Court on building a BB.

I dunno, maybe a bit corny... but I think it would be neat to have some peeps gathered for a building session.
And since your at the swap meet, if you find you forgot some gear or need something, just go look for what you need right there.

Hopefully I'll be able to show some more progress with my BB build later tonight. The honey do list is pretty huge for today so we'll see. I was actually pipe dreaming when I thought I would have it together in time to take to the swap meet to show Don.

Time for breakfast...

Jimmy
Old Jan 24, 2009, 12:10 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
music wire sizes for push rods

Hey guys, quick question... I might be able to make it to the Prop Shop later today & was wondering what size yall recommand for push rods? I already have .032 but didn't realize how flimsy it is. Or does that not really matter with the use of supts?
thx

Jimmy
Old Jan 24, 2009, 04:48 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,526 Posts
I use a lot of .032. Just install a suport about every 6 in.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Jan 24, 2009, 04:55 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
ok thx Don
Old Jan 25, 2009, 08:46 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
Got to meet Don at the swap meet.

Well, I can't say I will want for motors & esc's anymore. I didn't realize Don builds motors & has his own store of eq.
Don, thanks for hooking me up with needed equipment. When I'm ready to buy more for the next plane I'll be giving you a hollar.
And also, I can't seem to get that little 5g motor you build off my mind. I see 2mm foam & tissue in my future. If you don't mind, when you get a chance, would you mind giving me your opinion on what gear you would set up with that motor?

Swap meet sure was a cool place to be today. It just wasn't as cool as it could be with me only budgeted at $30.00.
Got my 2nd receiver, then from Don I got a couple props, motor mnts, & a prop saver.
I would have to say, for anyone who reads this, Dons is as far as I'll ever have to look for motors. (unsolicited commendation).
Springer, you were right.

Anyhow, I'm gonna try to find a quick couple of minutes to glue up some foam before hitting the sack.

Springer, check out my next post which will be pics of the BB progress. Coming in a few.

Jimmy
Old Jan 25, 2009, 09:07 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
BB build pics.

Well took some time to think about how to get dihedral into my wing & glued up the fuse. Actually, ended up doing it just how you said Springer.
I went 1.5 inches as Tony recommended. Turns out my camera, which I have 2, is 1.5 " wide. Cut the wing in half, figured out the angle, shaved the edge & plugged in the glue gun. I used the hot tip to V out my area & then filled it with glue. I'm suprised how well it holds. I'll reinforce it with some tape soon & will add popsickle sticks underneath, plus something along the LE. Not sure what though. I think I am going to get creative with the LE and do somehting other than just the skewers. I saw this hard but flexible material at the train shop by me that is half circle shaped and seems to be pretty strong yet slightly flexible. I was thinking about wrapping that over the LE. I dunno, we'll see where my creativity takes me.