HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2003, 06:38 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Beta build- the Wasp

You guys may remember this kit from the following thread by David (D-trafalgar):

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=wasp

David has released the beta kits for this model, and I was one of the lucky recipients! The kit arrived yesterday. Opening the foam packing exposed a nicely laser cut kit including 3 balsa sheets, 2 small light ply sheets and 1 ply fuselage section. David sent the 2nd fuse section under separate cover and it hasn't arrived yet. There's also a nicely drawn CADD sheet with the typical plan and elevation views plus some nice and informative exploded view diagrams. The final kit will include an instruction booklet. David was still working on it, so sent an electronic copy of it via email. The booklet is extremely well done, it has diagrams of where the parts are located on the balsa sheets (a very nice feature!!!) and photos, drawings and descriptions of each assembly. All instruction booklets should be this thorough!

Below is a pic of the just-opened package.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2003, 06:42 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
I like to sand the laser burns off of parts before assembling laser kits. The laser burns on these parts are light and easily sanded off. I spent about 30 minutes sanding all the wing parts and maybe 5 minutes assembling and C/Aing! This is a very fast building kit. The parts slot together very nicely. I built the wing without pinning it down and without glueing anything until it was completely assembled.

Below is the wing assembly. The leading edge is made up of 2 pieces laminated together (not attached in pic) to lessen the amount of sanding required to shape the LE.
Old Mar 02, 2003, 06:45 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
A closeup of the nice, tightly fitting components. You can also see the "Z" joints in the trailing edge and spar that join those parts together. Laser cutting at its best!
Old Mar 02, 2003, 06:47 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Wing ready for final sanding.

The ailerons took about 10 minutes of sanding and 5 minutes of assembly and glueing.
Old Mar 02, 2003, 06:51 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Tail feathers. 15 minutes of sanding and 10 minutes of assembly and glueing. All parts are laser cut including all the sub ribs in the tail and aileron assemblies. No messing with cutting parts in this kit!

You can see the exploded diagram on the plan sheet to the right in this pic. It helps to determine how the parts fit together, although this is a very easy kit even without that level of detail.
Old Mar 02, 2003, 06:54 PM
Joined May 2002
225 Posts
Great, just what you need another plane. Looking great as usual. Sorry I haven't touched base in awhile. I've been on the road!! Good luck with the rest of the build.
grizzowner is offline Find More Posts by grizzowner
Old Mar 02, 2003, 06:56 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
I spent around 30 minutes doing final sanding of the parts including shaping the leading edge, beveling the ailerons and elevator, and easing the edges on the ailerons and tail surfaces. I tossed all the parts on the scale, total is 26 grams or 1 ounce. Keep in mind that doesn't include the fuselage parts because I don't have one of the major parts yet. But still, this is clearly going to be a lightweight plane! The wing is quite sturdy, flexing it from the wingtips reveals very little movement and twisting is minimal.

Below is a pic of the wing and ailerons covered in SoLite (translucent yellow, white and dark blue). This is as far as I've gotten for now. More to follow!
Old Mar 02, 2003, 06:59 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
OK Blabermouth. I was going to hold up until I had a final opinion...

But, NOOOOOOOO!

OK, Here's what it can look like if you get the kit, and have still air in the day and an indoor meet at night, less than 24 hours later!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Mar 02, 2003, 07:45 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Hey J.R.-
==Great, just what you need another plane.==

Yes, yes, this we know. Oh wait, was that supposed to be sarcasm? Are you at home or traveling now? I can't keep up with you!

Gene-

That's Mister Blabbermouth to you Nice job on yours! If I get my other fuse part soon, I should be airborne shortly and we can compare notes on power setups.
Old Mar 02, 2003, 07:46 PM
BOSS
New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Apr 2002
4,984 Posts
Sweet.
j_z_123 is offline Find More Posts by j_z_123
Old Mar 02, 2003, 07:52 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tres Wright
That's Mister Blabbermouth to you Nice job on yours! If I get my other fuse part soon, I should be airborne shortly and we can compare notes on power setups.
OK, Mr. Blabbermouth, funny, I had the Vfuse piece a week early... No figuring customs, that's for sure. I wasn't surprised mine beat your's by a day, since you live in the 'Wild West'.

David and I have been discussing the power systems. Needless to say, you'll want a bunch. I will be switching to an IPS-2S for the next round of testing. I don't have any 3 cell K1020 packs, so it limits my options I'll hack together a 180 for a 8" prop setup, too, using the EPS box. I'm sure an 010 will work fine....
Old Mar 02, 2003, 10:12 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==I wasn't surprised mine beat your's by a day, since you live in the 'Wild West'. ==

What're you talking about, our Pony Express riders are the fastest anywhere!!

==I will be switching to an IPS-2S for the next round of testing==

I've got a 2S that I pulled off the Wing-E when I hybrid-ized it. I'll try a DX-A 9x7 (even though I think this plane wants to fly faster than the A will give), then the 2S 7x6, then a DX-A hybrid with 7x6. I suspect the hybrid is going to be the best setup for it. I've also got another (yes, another!) geared 010 on the way, this one is geared for smaller props. It may get a stint on the Wasp as well. Between the 2 of us we'll be evaluating plenty of motors it sounds like
Old Mar 04, 2003, 12:03 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Covered the tail feathers this evening. The other fuselage piece didn't arrive today, but hopefully it will get here soon so I can get this bird in the air!
Old Mar 04, 2003, 02:35 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Tres, Looks great so far, puts my covering job to shame! Funny, my Vfuse got here a week earlier than the rest.... Never under-estimate the abilities of our government employees

BTW, your plan is upside down, plan on flying inverted?
Old Mar 04, 2003, 09:54 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==BTW, your plan is upside down, plan on flying inverted?==

What are you talking about, it's not.... DOH!! Does anyone know whether it matters if the flat side of a semi-symmetrical airfoil is on top?

I forgot to mention that I weighed all the parts after covering. After subtracting the weight of the balsa, the covering by itself adds a whopping 7 grams or 1/4 ounce! Isn't SoLite great?