HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by rockom, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 08:55 AM
USA, IL, Malta
Joined Jan 2004
796 Posts
Build Log
Lacey M-10 Build Log

I'Ve started my first Peanut Scale build. I'm working on the Peck Polymers Lacey M-10. My intention is to make this three channel RC. I'd like to use DSM2 electronics or maybe Plantraco. My next indoor fly is January 10th. I'd like to maiden by then.

I thought this would be quick and easy. My opinion so far is, this is much more difficult than a larger airplane. Everything is so small and breakable. Here is what I got so far.
rockom is offline Find More Posts by rockom
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2008, 01:24 PM
Joined Dec 2008
73 Posts
I spent many years in Free Flight Rubber Band airplanes. They are very challenging since they are generally stick and tissue and are extremely light. What kind of covering are you going to use. If anything but tissue stengthening considerations should be made. To me, if a rubber band can fly it at contest levels, the little extra weight from extra strength should be no problem. This looks really good. I definitely want to see your progress.

Good job.
kgreen6982 is offline Find More Posts by kgreen6982
Old Dec 15, 2008, 09:38 PM
USA, IL, Malta
Joined Jan 2004
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreen6982
I spent many years in Free Flight Rubber Band airplanes. They are very challenging since they are generally stick and tissue and are extremely light. What kind of covering are you going to use. If anything but tissue stengthening considerations should be made. To me, if a rubber band can fly it at contest levels, the little extra weight from extra strength should be no problem. This looks really good. I definitely want to see your progress.

Good job.
Thanks.

I plan on using the tissue included with the kit. I'd like to keep it as light as possible so I'll have a little more flexibility with electronics.

-Rocko
Old Dec 17, 2008, 09:14 PM
Just having fun before I die!
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
935 Posts
Hey Rocko

Looks like your off to a good start if you want to use that extra vapor receiver I have your welcome to it. I don't see me using it any time soon. Keep it going!!

Doug
BadLemon is offline Find More Posts by BadLemon
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:25 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightz
Thanks.

I plan on using the tissue included with the kit. I'd like to keep it as light as possible so I'll have a little more flexibility with electronics.

-Rocko
You might want to try Esaki, which is lighter and better quality than the domestic tissue in the kit.

Tom
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:52 PM
USA, IL, Malta
Joined Jan 2004
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire
You might want to try Esaki, which is lighter and better quality than the domestic tissue in the kit.

Tom
Tom,

Thank for the hint.

-Rocko
Old Dec 28, 2008, 12:08 AM
USA, IL, Malta
Joined Jan 2004
796 Posts
12.27.08 Update

I've spent some more time on the Lacey, below are a fresh bundle of photos. I suppose it looks alright for my first attempt at peanut scale. I definitely need more practice. I'll have plenty as I've collected several more kits recently but I'll save that story for another post.

So, I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I'm not real happy with the way the tail end of the fuse came together. The whole fuse could be a little more square. It's not bad, and certainly should be fine enough. I think all the imperfections I have noted won't make a difference once covered with tissue.

I've learned allot about glue application and control with this project. Hopefully I'll still have more blase than glue on this kit when finished. Thin CA moves fast. Through handling, I've had to re-glue several joints and fix a few snapped pieces.

Here are the photos....
Old Jan 01, 2009, 05:42 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,582 Posts
You can save a significant amount of adhesive weight using Superphaltic or Ambroid adhesives. They won't wick all over the place and get lighter as they dry. The Superphaltic debonds with water and Ambroid with Acetone. I usually thin the Ambroid a little with some Acetone so that it penetrates better and is easier to apply.

The fuse looks good so far.

I second the Esaki tissue suggestion.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2009, 06:13 PM
USA, IL, Malta
Joined Jan 2004
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff
You can save a significant amount of adhesive weight using Superphaltic or Ambroid adhesives. They won't wick all over the place and get lighter as they dry. The Superphaltic debonds with water and Ambroid with Acetone. I usually thin the Ambroid a little with some Acetone so that it penetrates better and is easier to apply.

The fuse looks good so far.

I second the Esaki tissue suggestion.
As I've been building, I kinda wished I'd used an aliphatic glue. Longer dry times but much better for all the reasons you mention. I'm getting ready to build the wing now. I'm kinda playing with different setups trying to figure out how to build it square yet keep it flat.

I haven't heard of Superaliphatic's....what type/brand of glue are you referring too?

Thanks,
-Rocko