HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2008, 06:14 PM
Joined Sep 2008
210 Posts
Build Log
Yet another PT-109 (aka: YaPT-109)

My wife gave me an early Christmas present: the Dumas PT 109 Kit! I'm going to finish my Okie Rebuild first, really... But i couldn't disappoint her by not at least showing SOME interest...

I've read some of the other build logs here for this kit, i hope i can do as well as those. This will be my first complete build from a kit. I wanted to do the PT before a runabout because it gets painted and not stained. So if i mess up anything i can hide my mistakes...

Over all I'm impressed with the kit. As I've seen on other threads, i'll be making some modifications, especially with the armament and running gear. Also the "dash board".

Whenever i see pictures of PT 109 ( the real one, not the one they used at Kennedy's inauguration...) it never has PT 109 painted on the side, only on the Orlikon gun mount and the front cabin. So I'll probably stick with that.

The plan is to go with triple props with exposed drive shafts and triple rudders. I've seen the pros and cons in other threads and i want to make it as original as possible. The speed won't hurt either...

When you look at the pics, remember that none of the parts are cemented yet, except K1 and frame 7 (you glue 2 identical pieces together on each of those to make a thicker piece). Wanted to dry fit everything.

I've noticed that stringer 2 (s2) does not touch the keel (k1) on either side. Is it supposed to so that the two parts can be glued together?
daemuon is offline Find More Posts by daemuon
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2008, 06:16 PM
Joined Sep 2008
210 Posts
Just saw on a pic on this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1957091

And his S2 and K1 are touching, guess I'll be making the slots a bit deeper.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 01:33 PM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,320 Posts
Hi Daemuon, very few PT's had their numbers painted on the hull, except in the stern. I'm pretty sure that the 109 had none except for what you've seen! As you've seen we love pics! Boo
pkboo is offline Find More Posts by pkboo
Old Dec 15, 2008, 07:19 PM
Joined Sep 2008
210 Posts
So i'm not going crazy!

I'll need to see if i can find some good pics of PT 109. Or at least some PTs with similar armaments and setup so that i can get some details.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 08:02 PM
Joined Sep 2008
210 Posts
So i was just looking at the pics of of 109 on the Fine Art Models website, as well as some other mailing lists, and it seems that the life raft on the front of the boat was replaced with a 37mm anti-tank gun with the wheels removed.

There were also some other interesting details, like the torpedo tubes were probably either silver or bronze colored and the mast may have been missing but was also probably folded most of the time.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 08:43 AM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,320 Posts
Yes, JFK wanted some more firepower and did install an anti tank gun on the foredeck. I donīt think he replaced the dinghy but kept it somewhere else. I donīt really know about the torp tubes. Boo
pkboo is offline Find More Posts by pkboo
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:28 PM
Joined Sep 2008
210 Posts
Maybe i'll put the dinghy on the front cabin, like the italeri model.

I've also seen that their windshield was either painted over or replaced with armor.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:44 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daemuon
So i was just looking at the pics of of 109 on the Fine Art Models website, as well as some other mailing lists, and it seems that the life raft on the front of the boat was replaced with a 37mm anti-tank gun with the wheels removed.

There were also some other interesting details, like the torpedo tubes were probably either silver or bronze colored and the mast may have been missing but was also probably folded most of the time.
The anti tank gun was lashed to a pair of timbers that were nailed to the deck.

The PT 109 (part of the 1st batch of Elco 80's 103-196) still had the welded steel torpedo tubes, which were painted the same colors as the rest of the boat. PT 188 was the first boat to leave the Brooklyn Navy Yard with the roll off racks. This accounts for the silver or bronze color of the actual torpedos. Earlier boats were retrofitted with the roll off racks as kits became available. Some artists renderings may use silver or bronze to make the welded tube stand out against the green deck and hull.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:48 AM
Joined Sep 2008
210 Posts
Thanks for the great info!

Now i just need to find out where they kept their "torpedo juice"...
Old Dec 20, 2008, 06:06 PM
Joined Sep 2008
210 Posts
I got the balsa in the front pretty well sanded, as well as the stringers and butterfly keel.

But i got a little over zealous on one side while doing the stringer and sanded the frames too far.

So what do i do now? Do i add some body/wood filler and reshape? Or do i cement the side in place and extra cement to fill any gap after it dries? For the most part the 2 or 3 frames that i nicked are ok on one side of the stringer and gouged on the other. It was hard to get a picture of that, but if you look at the frame that is in focus you can get an idea.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:17 AM
"Damn The Torpedoes...."
Mount Dora, FL.
Joined Oct 2007
512 Posts
daemuon, I would just glue some addition wood scrap to the areas where you sanded too much off. When dry, you can always start sanding again.
PT-333 is offline Find More Posts by PT-333
Old Dec 21, 2008, 04:05 PM
Joined Sep 2008
210 Posts
That's what i was thinking... i'll probably use some pine. Balsa may be too fragile.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 04:32 PM
"Damn The Torpedoes...."
Mount Dora, FL.
Joined Oct 2007
512 Posts
It's better to fix any problems with the frames now, then wait until you start planking. Take it from me I made that mistake once but I won't be doing that again! I had to go back and use autobody filler to reshape a section that I should have fix before planking.
PT-333 is offline Find More Posts by PT-333
Old Dec 21, 2008, 06:46 PM
Joined Sep 2008
210 Posts
Good point. I'll probably hold off on working on this until Okie is done. I was i a hurry because i wanted to get to work on the Okie.
Old May 11, 2009, 04:18 PM
Joined Sep 2008
210 Posts
Now remember that this is the FIRST boat i've EVER built from a kit.

It's not all that bad, but i have a lot of sanding and puttying to do.

But... it's water tight! I held it down in the water to just below the top of the hull and no water got in!

My advice to any new modeler is to start with one of the PVC hulled boats that gets painted, that way you can cover up your practice work with paint.

Since it's plastic, do i need to 'glass it? The instructions say to 'glass the deck, the planking in the front and the transom. I guess it would be good practice, but if i can cut that chore i would.

I've seen posts saying that triple screw installs are not good. But i can't find specifics. I would like to do a triple screw, but what are the problems with such a setup?