Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 02, 2003, 03:56 AM
Wollongong, Australia
Joined Feb 2003
75 Posts
How to repair Tiger Moth engine mount?

Flying about an hour before sunset tonight, I lost my Tiger in the sun and when I could see it again and work out which direction it was going I flew it into a power line. It nosed in from about 20' and broke the engine mount stick clean off at the firewall.
Any ideas how to repair this? I'm thinking I might drill about 1/2" into each piece and join them with a 1" long piece of carbon rod that I have. However not sure how to get the correct alignment if I do that , try my luck I guess.
Anyone have any alternative suggestions?
Thanks, Bernie.
bernie01 is offline Find More Posts by bernie01
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2003, 07:33 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,293 Posts
Here is how I did it. I drilled a hole in the mount that remains in the plane and put in a 2mm carbon rod and then drilled a hole in the broken piece, glue it all together with 5 min epoxy. Works well.

Pat
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest blog entry.
Old Mar 02, 2003, 10:39 AM
Abbotsford, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
288 Posts
I actaully dug the piece out of mine. It wasn't pretty but it worked. I used Pro bond to glue the new one and eyeballed the angle. No problems.
MrFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MrFlyer
Old Mar 03, 2003, 01:13 AM
Ohio, USA
Joined May 2002
1,623 Posts
Bernie-

When I broke my TM's motor stick, I did THIS.

- Jeff
galloping gimp is offline Find More Posts by galloping gimp
Old Mar 03, 2003, 01:18 AM
Inbox is almost full
Long Island, New York
Joined Nov 2002
1,679 Posts
I used a round wooden chopstick and now I can use a Dual IPS or Single IPS without having to rotate the stick 90 degrees.

My corsair also uses a round chopstick to mount to the firewall.

LESLIEx317537 is offline Find More Posts by LESLIEx317537
Old Mar 03, 2003, 03:27 AM
Wollongong, Australia
Joined Feb 2003
75 Posts
Thanks.

Gentlemen,
thank you all for your responses. I had more time to research this problem via the search engine today and marvelled at the variety of approaches taken; from the 'CA/epoxy the broken bits together 'approach to the elegantly engineered approach of Jeff/Doppler.
In the end I adopted a quick and effective fix; I drilled a small hole approx. 1/2" into both the firewall stub piece and the engine mount piece, then cut a 1" piece of 0.055 piano wire that I had left over from making a slightly beefier undercarriage. I then epoxied the stick back together using the wire piece as a 'dowel joiner'. The slight flexibilty of the wire afforded me a chance to slightly increase the thrust line angle, as the model turned left as originally built. Of course this robust fix means that I'll probably just bend the prop shaft next time, as I doubt it will break at the same place agin! Thanks again.
Regards, Bernie.
bernie01 is offline Find More Posts by bernie01