HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by jfetter, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 04:56 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,161 Posts
Cool
A new plane (again)!

I was thinking about some smaller sized planes to fly for days when I can't take the time time to drag everything out to the field or in cases like this weekend, where the field is closed because of a huge event. I saw the Great Planes Reactor Bipe 30e in an advertisement and bam, I thought "that's the one!". What a great looking little plane, design, colors, size, very nice looking.

I ended up ordering one along with a Hacker A30 16M and Jeti Spin 33 for the power system. I have to say this may be the best built, nicest fitting assembly, cleanest lines and tight finish I've ever seen on an ARF! The attention to detail with magnets pre-installed for the battery hatch and cowl (neat idea!) along with the very slick wheel pant mounting system made this plane a dream to assemble.

The manual (which BTW is full-featured, detailed and accurate) was easy to follow and even though assmebly time was supposed to be 6 hours, took a bit longer, something like 8 to 8.5 hours. I can't think if a single thing they could have done better with this ARF and that says a lot. This is an absolute winner, I highly suggest this ARF to anyone looking for a small-to-mid-sized electric, the quality can't be beat...

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2008, 05:14 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
Nice

I have been eyeballing one of these but I do not have the flying skills to adequately 'enjoy' this plane.

In the future for sure!!

Do you have more pictures for me to drool on??
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Dec 12, 2008, 05:15 PM
Really?!?
Lost ...on the 3rd rock out
Joined Sep 2001
1,235 Posts
I concure, I have been flying one for the last four months or so and feel exactly the same way. Fast, slow, 3D or pattern, the little bipe just takes it all. It has become my favorite grab and go plane...

I have mine running a Hacker A30-12L, TP 3S 2250 ProPowers on a 12X6 prop and the power is breath taking.

Chris
ChrisS is offline Find More Posts by ChrisS
Old Dec 12, 2008, 09:01 PM
Jets are for kids-of all ages
Florida, USA
Joined Jun 2008
2,892 Posts
Yep,
I have had mine for about three months and love it. It does the prettiest Flat Spins and standard spins I have seen in a long time. It is really worth it. I added a tail wheel, to make long pavement taxing easier. You can see it in the pic.
R
mullinspsm is offline Find More Posts by mullinspsm
Last edited by mullinspsm; May 12, 2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 09:09 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed
I have been eyeballing one of these but I do not have the flying skills to adequately 'enjoy' this plane.

In the future for sure!!

Do you have more pictures for me to drool on??
I would tell you the slow flight characteristics are gentle, which is true but after flying it in a stiff breeze today I would also warn you that it can get caught in the wind and require quick reactions. I've only flown it in the wind (today was the maiden) but based on the slow flight characteristics when the breeze was gentle, I am dying to try it on a calm day, seems very stable and tracks great...

Jack
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:18 PM
Jets are for kids-of all ages
Florida, USA
Joined Jun 2008
2,892 Posts
I have flown mine in some pretty gusty conditions, I found it to be very positive in control. In fact it makes a very nice vertical decent to landing in a strong wind. Our field always has a cross wind, making our paved runway very short but extremely wide. It always handles it well. So with winter upon us, go out there and have some fun in the wind. By the way mine has a Turnigy 3536-1000 40 amp esc and 2200 3s1p and 11x5.5E prop. unlimited vertical.
R
mullinspsm is offline Find More Posts by mullinspsm
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:41 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullinspsm
I have flown mine in some pretty gusty conditions, I found it to be very positive in control. In fact it makes a very nice vertical decent to landing in a strong wind. Our field always has a cross wind, making our paved runway very short but extremely wide. It always handles it well. So with winter upon us, go out there and have some fun in the wind. By the way mine has a Turnigy 3536-1000 40 amp esc and 2200 3s1p and 11x5.5E prop. unlimited vertical.
R
Flying into the wind no problem, power to get through the wind and cross wind, no issue, unlimited vertical, sure. I did notice when turning downwind it really can drop, normal for any plane when taking away all the lift (flying at 20 MPH and turning downwind with a 15 MPH tail wind leaves you with only 5 MPH air speed). I was not implying this plane was bad in the wind, only that this size and weight plane requires quick response when flying in the wind, especially when flying low and making the downwind turn...

Jack
Old Dec 13, 2008, 02:00 AM
@amirhtown
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2008
71 Posts
Lost her when my RX went dead!!
The Oracle is offline Find More Posts by The Oracle
Old Dec 13, 2008, 08:28 AM
KF4IVP
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2005
2,154 Posts
Man Im a sucker for pretty planes, but I bet this is not a back yard flier.
Looks fragile.

______
Dennis
34Ford is offline Find More Posts by 34Ford
Old Dec 13, 2008, 09:58 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34Ford
Man Im a sucker for pretty planes, but I bet this is not a back yard flier.
Looks fragile.

______
Dennis
Dennis,

Not fragile at all! The fuse and wings are quite strong, sheeted more than leading edge-to-1/4 only and they have even doubled the covering on some spots rather than trim the base layer where it shows only. Usually when building a plane this size you have to be gentle during construction, I can say this was not the case here. Once you epoxy the wings and have the carbon rod glued (hidden inside the center cabane), the fuse/wings are locked together and have no flexing. I can't recommend this plane enough, certainly the top of my list of all-time ARF's for quality, fit and finish, engineering and finished product!

Jack
Last edited by jfetter; Dec 13, 2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:47 AM
Really?!?
Lost ...on the 3rd rock out
Joined Sep 2001
1,235 Posts
Yep, it's strong. I had the same early fears of frailty...not realized at all. I stalled the tail servos at one point and had a rather abrupt, unscheduled landing, zero damage. Some luck sure but nevertheless... lesson learned, switched over to HS65MG's and a regulator

Backyard flyer? Only if you have really good self control or your backyard is big. This little plane can cover a lot of distance quickly. My favorite part about the plane is it's ability to eat up sky and perform big maneuvers.

I put a tail wheel on mine as well and changed out the spinner.

Anyone else thought about cutting back on the rudder counterbalance? I think it's too much and maybe even detrimental if too much rudder is used at too high of a speed.

Chris
ChrisS is offline Find More Posts by ChrisS
Old Dec 13, 2008, 11:09 AM
Joined Oct 2008
229 Posts
can you post a video please?
hotflyer80 is offline Find More Posts by hotflyer80
Old Dec 13, 2008, 11:31 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,074 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801953

Video and a review. Still one of my top 10 wanna haves.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Dec 13, 2008, 01:25 PM
@amirhtown
Joined Nov 2008
71 Posts
Before I lost mine to RX failure, I noticed one thing this is the one of the strongest wood airplanes I ever flew. I overpowered mine and I would do full stick inputs at full throttle to the point your hear the G's through the frame "WAAAH WOOOOH" during the snaps and spins at FULL THROTTLE...... It took it all hard landings, I was ina alow harrier and the wind smacked the plane on the runway and nothing no problem at all....
Old Dec 13, 2008, 01:26 PM
@amirhtown
Joined Nov 2008
71 Posts
And it was that you review you posted that helped me along with the build and subsequent flights.