SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 02, 2003, 01:33 AM
Frequent Flyer
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Nov 2001
757 Posts
Build a WASP Micro Air Vehicle!?

The WASP is a 13", 170gm flying wing MAV. In October of last year it made a MAV record flight of one hour and 47 minutes. It was built by AeroVironment and funded by DARPA. Control is via throttle, elevator and rudder. Power is Lithium ion, averaging 9 watts. All parts off the shelf.

I saw a blurb about it in Backyard Flyer, the pinnacle of aviation journalism, and my creative...ehh...replicative juices started to flow. Many of us have had 1 hour lithium powered flights without trying that hard. With a highly efficient tractor flying wing, I think 2 hours would be possible--especially since that 170g figure is a bit portly.

Looking at the picture, I'm guessing root chord is 5.5" and the tip is 4" for a leading edge sweep of 13 degrees and 61.75 square inches of wing area. 25% MAC at 2" back. Couple degrees of dihedral with the vert stab/rudder/landing skid beginning right under the nose. EPS cores, no spar, with a balsa trailing edge (with the elevator cut out) and a fiberglass or light film covering. The motor is a sub IPS direct drive (help me with the ID) with what appears to be a GWS 3x2 prop painted black with a Sharpie! I was thinking of using 2 1020 (or larger) Kokam cells--one in each wing panel, permanently installed. Receiver would be a tight fit--not much room if I went with a MH45 airfoil and a 5.5" chord. Pair of WES servos. Could work.
Nowell York is offline Find More Posts by Nowell York
Last edited by Nowell York; Mar 02, 2003 at 01:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2003, 01:49 AM
Frequent Flyer
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Nov 2001
757 Posts
WASP in hand...
Old Mar 02, 2003, 02:44 AM
Formerly of mcba fame
Luxembourg
Joined Apr 2001
3,007 Posts
That would be real cool, though i'm guessing these tiny planes must me kind of squirrelly. Where are the control surfaces? Does it use wing warping or something?

Matthew
Matthew Allen is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Allen
Old Mar 02, 2003, 03:31 AM
Frequent Flyer
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Nov 2001
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mcba
That would be real cool, though i'm guessing these tiny planes must me kind of squirrelly. Where are the control surfaces? Does it use wing warping or something?

Matthew
It has a little elevator at the midpoint of the trailing edge (hard to see in photos) and a landing skid+rudder on the underside.

Squirrelly--I bet it would be. Hopefully the dihedral with the rudder/elevator tames it down over conventional elevons without dihedral.
Last edited by Nowell York; Mar 02, 2003 at 03:33 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2003, 05:37 AM
Formerly of mcba fame
Luxembourg
Joined Apr 2001
3,007 Posts
Ahh..., I saw that but I thought it was too small

Matthew
Matthew Allen is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Allen
Old Mar 02, 2003, 08:15 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Matt's stuff all seems to use his own-built 900Mhz radio systems and actuators, either MW or some intricate 100 step stepper motors that are ~1/2" long and the diameter of Q-Tip stem. That 'hefty' weight also includes a GPS and TV system. I could be wrong here, but the props are almost certainly not off the shelf items since he CNCs computer designed props for everything he flies...
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Mar 02, 2003, 09:49 AM
United States, IN, Evansville
Joined May 2001
1,765 Posts
I would love to build this. You think you would need the 1020 or would a pair of 560 be able to handle a single GWS DD motor?

Let me know your progress. This would be really neat.

Thanks,
Kenny
kenny_dilger is offline Find More Posts by kenny_dilger
Old Mar 02, 2003, 10:00 AM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
I built a 16" wing. I had pico servos and receiver in it. The AUW was 2 oz. but if I used smaller gear and lighter foam (used 2 lb. density) I could have reduced that quite a bit.

Here's a pic of it in my transmitter case.

-- Acer
Acer is offline Find More Posts by Acer
Old Mar 02, 2003, 12:44 PM
Frequent Flyer
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Nov 2001
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Taylor
That 'hefty' weight also includes a GPS and TV system.
According to the BYF article it has neither of these, but the next gen WASP will. The point of the WASP is to experiment with using the battery in the wing structure. It's essentially a flying Li ion battery.

I could be wrong here, but the props are almost certainly not off the shelf items since he CNCs computer designed props for everything he flies...

The WASP was designed using "off-the-self components". I blew up the picture and compared the prop to a GWS 3x2 in hand--if it isn't a GWS 3x2 somebody reproduced it with a great deal of effort. I'm sure he CNCs props for his planes, but it doesn't appear to be the case here, given the spirit of the project. If you know him personally, it'd be great to get a little info on the design!

Acer--that is REALLY nice!

DARPA pdf
Last edited by Nowell York; Mar 02, 2003 at 12:51 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2003, 04:38 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Acer, the 16" MSW looks cool. Is it just cut down 24" wings or did you design it differently? Any wing cores available or plans to offer a kit?

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Mar 02, 2003, 07:15 PM
Frequent Flyer
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Nov 2001
757 Posts
After discussing the motor issue on the indoor/micro forum, I believe it is a Mabuchi # FF-N20PN. The recommended voltage is 1.5 to 3. Probably scream on 2 cell Li, but at just $2 a pop, short motor life won't be a problem. As I think about it, finding the higher voltage version may be a good idea!

The prop is a Jamara B2.

Both available from Todd's Models .
Old Mar 02, 2003, 07:27 PM
Gainesville, Fla
Joined Aug 2002
125 Posts
The UF MAV research team has 6-5" planes that can fly for 20 min and cary a wireless camera (no camera = more duration) we are always working on smaller but our designs are usualy taylored to what ever the rules are for the competition that year and what our competition is doing
Kallikrates is offline Find More Posts by Kallikrates
Old Mar 02, 2003, 09:49 PM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
How does it turn without a rudder or visible ailerons?

The motor doesn't look like a DC5-2.4, but I have a 5-2.4
and have done some experiments with it. With the 8:1
gears and a 5x3 prop it ran for 30 minutes when using
just a 150ma 9 volt rechargable transistor radio battery.
So it was only drawing about 300ma. With 560ma lipos it
should run for a lot longer. The motor itself only weighs 10 gms.

http://www.toddsmodels.com/dc5.htm
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA
Last edited by DNA; Mar 02, 2003 at 10:00 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2003, 10:27 PM
Frequent Flyer
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Nov 2001
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DNA
How does it turn without a rudder or visible ailerons?
See above.
Old Mar 02, 2003, 10:33 PM
Strange Plane Central
Poway (near San Diego), CA US
Joined Dec 2000
1,884 Posts
Saw the plane fly in Sepulveda.
I took video of it but it is so tiny and fast, you barely could see it in the video.
The servos are about 1/4" square.
frankenfoamy is offline Find More Posts by frankenfoamy