SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2009, 03:44 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb
NO, it is not compatible systems. This is something different this time. These systems are using neither DSSS nor FHSS, but what the mfgr calls "PPM/GFSK". GFSK, Gaussian Frequency Shift Keying, is a different modulation from both FHSS and DSSS. It sends its signal on a single carrier/frequency, and blocks this frequency, just as old-school 35/72MHz equipment. But there's no old-school crystal - the system selects the frequency by itself. As the name implies, the frequency is then varied (shifted) very slightly to indicate the 1's and 0's of the digital signal. GFSK is still legal according to the european standard EN 300 328 which regulates 2.4GHz equipment.
It is 100% compatible with Turobrix systems.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2009, 05:05 AM
Rouen (FRANCE)
Joined Nov 2003
69 Posts
Hi waga,

nice work, there is a cheapest way (few $ chip and connector) is to use a MAX232 like on the 12C5408AD datasheet page 17 http://www.mcu-memory.com/datasheet/...C12C5410AD.pdf (5410 is the same as the 5408 10KB flash instead of 8KB, sorry it's in chinese, not found in english or other language, but can use a in line translator), cut the unused pins and solder directly wires and some parts on the chip.
for those with programming knowledge, why not try to change the MCU program to have more MIX, EXPO etc ..., it is to be a powerfull MCU to get more from this radio.

Géo .
geotrouvetout is offline Find More Posts by geotrouvetout
Old Jan 28, 2009, 06:20 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,113 Posts
Tom said:
Quote:
Does anyone know if I could hack that $30 2.4ghz radio so that I can convert my RC Car radio (Airtronics MX-3) to this system? It does not have a trainer port to make it a simple external box setup. I am not even sure if the MX-3 radio uses the same FM/PPM code, standards are not always standards. I do need to get a 2.4 car radio, but I do not need it so bad that it warrants a $160-$250 purchase. All I need is 3 channels anyway. I have been using my DX7 radio, but it is a pain to be using it for a car.
Well, you may be able to just move all the parts over from one to the other. If the main logic board fits, it depends on if the board is too long or not, then it looks most promising. The only other gotcha is if the gimbal potentiometers have a similar total resistance to them or not. If the pots are like 40k in one radio but 100k in the other radio, that can cause problems. Usually the pot shafts are similar in size, so one may be able to move the pots over too.

I am not sure on just moving the RF module over, but for $30 it isn't a huge expense to have to learn on.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jan 28, 2009, 07:07 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,113 Posts
Quote:
It is 100% compatible with Turobrix systems. AJ
I was sort of suspecting that it might be. The transmitters look a lot alike, same case with different stickers, and both use a 6 channel receiver.
What might be interesting is if the 4 channel HobbyKing transmitter can be programmed or not like the Turborix transmitter. Not sure if it is worth the effort or not, but what the heck.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:35 AM
Joined Jan 2009
6 Posts
Hi,
have you somebody try it to entlarge from 4 chanel to 5 or 6 chanel ?
sebikolo is offline Find More Posts by sebikolo
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:11 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
I don't know enough of the MX-3 to do it I think. Maybe if I had a schematic to work with. Today's first look at the MX-3 insides it has everything on one board, so unless I knew exactly where to connect the 3 wires I'd be out of luck. The only other thing I could think of is a trainer port hack, but there is none on this radio that I know of. Thanks for ideas and stuff guys.
Tom
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Jan 28, 2009, 02:55 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb
I was sort of suspecting that it might be. The transmitters look a lot alike, same case with different stickers, and both use a 6 channel receiver.
What might be interesting is if the 4 channel HobbyKing transmitter can be programmed or not like the Turborix transmitter. Not sure if it is worth the effort or not, but what the heck.
4ch HK cannot be programmed for any other channels. The whole design is for 4ch max.
AJ
P.S. I have 4 turborix rcvrs and 9 HK rcvrs and I use both types intechangeably with the HK xmitter and the Turborix xmitter (of course, I have to rebind after switching a rcvr).
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jan 28, 2009, 03:15 PM
USA, TN, Fayetteville
Joined Dec 2004
878 Posts
Does anyone have the serial code that it's using to read/write the model save files? I'm wondering if we could use a arduino/sd mmc card to read and write the model files to the transmitter.
madmike8 is offline Find More Posts by madmike8
Old Jan 28, 2009, 05:17 PM
have foam, will fly
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike8
Does anyone have the serial code that it's using to read/write the model save files? I'm wondering if we could use a arduino/sd mmc card to read and write the model files to the transmitter.
the 69 byte model configuration is a few pages back here

If the ardiuno can tx/rx at 115Kbps it would be doable.
waqa is offline Find More Posts by waqa
Old Jan 28, 2009, 06:44 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Sep 2003
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waqa
Hey keepitsimple,

We are working on the same thing

I grabbed my old Ipaq 3650 after flying today and got about as far as you did. Here's a short vid.

Pocket PC Programmer

I used eVB as well. I needed to use a level shifter to get the 5v signal up to standard 12v rs-232 so the Ipaq would read the signal. Did you run into this problem? My electronics knowledge is pretty rusty and I had a level shifter sitting around but I hope there is a better way to get around this.

I used the eVB vertical and horizontal scroll bars for stick positions. I have the inputlen and input thresold set to 100 bytes and that seems to give near instant and very smooth response between the tx and the Ipaq.

I have to say thanks, you definitely provided the catalyst with the protocol and all. I'm going to finish up the programming parts this week as well as move the level shifter into the tx case. I installed a 2200 lipo in the tx as well and will be adding new bettery level monitor for it. Now if I can just figure out a way to mount the Ipaq to the case ...

Oh and since the programming parameters only use 69 bytes, I can use the remaning 20mb of memory in my Ipaq to store over 200,000 models

I love this radio, it will end up being exactly the way I want when I'm done

Edit:
eVB source I have done so far is here: Source

Once I have a ready version I'll post a full build report and installer link. But, you'll need to make your own cable and possibly a level shifter. Maybe keepitsimple will have some better ideas.

This site has given me a great deal, it's nice to be able to give something back.
I have a Ipaq Pocket PC abd it shows Version 4.20.1081 (build 13100) . will your eVB program work with this model?

Thanks

Tom Watson
Sydeny Australia
tommywatson is offline Find More Posts by tommywatson
Old Jan 28, 2009, 08:50 PM
I enjoy the voices
Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTEOR
Does anyone know if I could hack that $30 2.4ghz radio so that I can convert my RC Car radio (Airtronics MX-3) to this system? It does not have a trainer port to make it a simple external box setup. I am not even sure if the MX-3 radio uses the same FM/PPM code, standards are not always standards. I do need to get a 2.4 car radio, but I do not need it so bad that it warrants a $160-$250 purchase. All I need is 3 channels anyway. I have been using my DX7 radio, but it is a pain to be using it for a car.

I am almost inclined to even pull apart my JR-6102 that I installed the 2.4ghz module from a DX6 to achieve the same. I have RX on hand for that at least.
Thanks in advance,
Tom
Tom, I think it depends on if the Airtronics is running a 10V PPM signal or a 5V PPM set-up - a volt meter will quickly tell you.

If it is 5V, then it is easy. If it is 10V, then you need some smarts to change the voltage of both the power and PPM signal - which for a simple join wires together guy like me falls into the too colmplicated category.

I'm about to hack my JR 2106 (JR 2610 in oz) to 2.4 GHz and have gone for the Assan module simply because of this - it just involves soldering wires, not additional circuits etc. Bit more dosh, but still reasonable.
Lead Wings is offline Find More Posts by Lead Wings
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:00 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
I did email Airtronics to see if they would supply a schematic, without it I am DONE, the whole board in the radio is 1 piece, and I'd have no idea where to hook up stuff. At this point could just try to hack in a wheel control onto the JR6102DX, but that is a whole different thread. Thanks for the into Lead Wings, if it is a 10v signal, then like you said no dice. I doubt adding in a 5v voltage regulator onto both the Signal wire and the Power wire would work correctly, otherwise that is simple enough. Maybe I would get lucky enough and there is a hidden connection on the board for a trainer port.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:17 AM
have foam, will fly
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommywatson
I have a Ipaq Pocket PC abd it shows Version 4.20.1081 (build 13100) . will your eVB program work with this model?

Thanks

Tom Watson
Sydeny Australia

Yes, any Ipaq running OS version 3 or later will work.

So far I've got 9 screens.

I'm trying to exploit the touch screen as much as possible to make it a nice tool, any and all ideas are welcome. This is all open source so any and all good ideas go into the design. I need to clean up the screens, get all the fonts right, and barring any major issues should have it all done this weekend.

For anyone interested, the source code as it evolves will be here. I make no warranty etc. on the software, use it at your own risk.
waqa is offline Find More Posts by waqa
Old Jan 29, 2009, 06:03 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,113 Posts
Looking good Waqa. The program is coming along nicely.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2009, 02:02 PM
USA, TN, Fayetteville
Joined Dec 2004
878 Posts
keepitsimple, would you mind posting your source/binary?

Thanks.

I can't really do anything till I get my radio in...
madmike8 is offline Find More Posts by madmike8