HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:54 AM
I enjoy the voices
Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb

The 4 wires on mine, from that connector, go to the 2.4ghz RF module.
The small connector with 4 wires (next to the larger connector with 12 wires) goes to the trainer jack. The larger 12 wire connector is to the pots on the two gimbals.
Interesting -mine has 4 wires going to the RF module as well, but two come from the underside of the PCB and two come from the connector (with the two cut wires).

Looking at the photo, it looks like they had to fix a stuff-up - it looks like cut wires (red and orange) were back to front, so they cut them and re-soldered to the back of the PCB the other way around - scary!!

See photo below.
Lead Wings is offline Find More Posts by Lead Wings
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:58 AM
Joined Dec 2008
3 Posts
i just ordered one today as a back up. I just sent in my dx6i to horizon hobby for repair, so i will be using this radio, for a couple of weeks.

I will post on its performance when i receive it in 3-5 days
mysks45 is offline Find More Posts by mysks45
Old Jan 21, 2009, 01:05 AM
I enjoy the voices
Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Wires back to front??

What's also interesiting is where the wires go to - on my RF board the order of the wires are:
  • PPM in - Yellow
  • SW1 (assumed for range check switch?) - Red
  • GND - Orange
  • CC_5V - Brown
And the order off the PCB (after the factory fix) is Brown Orange Red Yellow

EarlWB, looking at your photo the order of the wires from the main PCB is Brown Red Orange Yellow (the order they would have been on mine if they hadn't switched them).

Suggest you check your RF module - if the order is Brown Orange Red Yellow like mine, then one of us has switched wiring!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 07:08 AM
Brno, Czech, Europe
Joined Jan 2009
2 Posts
Hi,
have you somebody try it to entlarge from 4 chanel to 5 chanel ?

It's at all possible?
kachlos is offline Find More Posts by kachlos
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:52 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,585 Posts
Lead Wings,
Well my radio works OK, no problems that I know of.
Color codes have to be looked at carefully, as they likely wire the radio up any old which way. if it works, ship it.

kachlos:
There is a fifth place for a servo reversing switch, but I do not know if one could wire in a 5th channel or not. Maybe sometime I'll try it. No hurry, as for what i wanted the radio for, it isn't needed.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:43 AM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
Lead Wings,

I am watching this very closely, because I have a Polks Tracker III with 99 model memory and it would be great if I could hack in a 2.4G from one of these with a switch allowing me to run either ppm or 2.4 depending on the plane I'm flying.

It would give me a universal radio for all my planes and I could have the benefits of 2.4G too!

BlueFFF
BlueFFF is offline Find More Posts by BlueFFF
Old Jan 21, 2009, 02:22 PM
Brno, Czech, Europe
Joined Jan 2009
2 Posts
earlwb:
5th port for the switch reverse channel, I found also, but the not input from potentiometer. It seems that the on board is missing.
Kachlos
kachlos is offline Find More Posts by kachlos
Old Jan 21, 2009, 02:38 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,585 Posts
On mine, when you look at the longer connector, there is a empty place for a wire to a unused pin. That may be for the fifth channel. But I don't know as I haven't taken a more detailed look at it.
The microcontroller has 8 Analog to Digital port pins on it. So they use four for the joysticks. One or two ADC's for monitoring the battery voltage. So theoretically there is the possibility that the next ADC port not being used by the joysticks would be the fifth channel.

I would assume something like a 15k pullup to Vcc, and a switch to either switch it to ground/common or to Vcc via the pullup resistor. One may have to wire it in directly though, if the PC board runs don't go to the unused connector pin.

I sort of suspect that the main logic board is a 6 channel board, and they simply didn't hook up the other parts. The transmitter case is a 6 channel generic case with stickers and stuff blocking the extra holes and cutouts. I would be surprised if they actually programmed the CPU for 4 channels only. So it may all be there, just not connected.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jan 21, 2009, 07:23 PM
I enjoy the voices
Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
[QUOTE=earlwb]Lead Wings,
Well my radio works OK, no problems that I know of.
Color codes have to be looked at carefully, as they likely wire the radio up any old which way. if it works, ship it.

QUOTE]

EarlWB,

If you have the back off your radio any time soon I would be interested to know the order (colour) of your wires off the PCB and into the RF module.

I agree that they may switch wire colours between sets, but I am assuming that the connection order from the PCB to the RF board should be the same regardless of colour of wire.

From what I can tell they found a stuff up with mine and fixed it, which sort of leads to the question of did they stuff others up and not notice before they were shipped?
Last edited by Lead Wings; Jan 21, 2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 07:34 PM
I enjoy the voices
Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFFF
Lead Wings,

I am watching this very closely, because I have a Polks Tracker III with 99 model memory and it would be great if I could hack in a 2.4G from one of these with a switch allowing me to run either ppm or 2.4 depending on the plane I'm flying.

It would give me a universal radio for all my planes and I could have the benefits of 2.4G too!

BlueFFF
BlueFFF,

I must admit Ive kind of got myself to the space that if I am going to hack my JR 2610, I will use the Assan hack module.

Main reasons for this are:
  1. It is made as a direct shoe-in, and I must admit the 5V thing mentioned above may make using the HK set too hard to hack with
  2. Assan seem very responsive to the feedback they are getting, and are improving their products
  3. The Assan V2 uses 2 frequencies (one as backup) so should be a stronger link (this is a whole subject in itself which is way over my head and is discussed in great lengths in other places. It is noted the HK uses the second Rx module, which is a plus in its favour. Also the HK sets seem to be getting a prety good rap from those using them.)
  4. I have sort of got to the point that I feel if i am going to go to all the effort to hack my radio, shoulld I be doing it with a replacement RF module that is so cheap ($30 - Rx value - rest of handset = not much)
  5. Assan have a range of Rx's 4g 4 channer, 6 and 7 channels, which are not that much more than the HK ones to suit the $30 radio.
Just airing my thoughts here in case others are interested - I'm not trying to say the $30 HK is not good value and a usable set, but for me if I'm going to hack I will go the Assan route.

But in the mean time Ive got the HK set ot play with while I wait.....
Old Jan 21, 2009, 09:04 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
Lead Wings,

The real problem with hacking my Tracker III is it would void the 5 year warranty, if Polks is still honoring them, I think they are. Also they aren't available to buy anymore. looks like Polks has gotten out of the RC business. Too bad it may be ugly, but it's a nice radio for the price. For now I will keep buying the cheap 6 channel recievers from bidproduct.com for $8 with crystals and watch what the future brings. At least with the Tracker III it does not matter to me what channel my planes are using as long as no one else at the field is using it at the same time.

BlueFFF
Old Jan 21, 2009, 09:58 PM
I enjoy the voices
Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Lead Wings,

The real problem with hacking my Tracker III is it would void the 5 year warranty, if Polks is still honoring them, I think they are. Also they aren't available to buy anymore. looks like Polks has gotten out of the RC business. Too bad it may be ugly, but it's a nice radio for the price. For now I will keep buying the cheap 6 channel recievers from bidproduct.com for $8 with crystals and watch what the future brings. At least with the Tracker III it does not matter to me what channel my planes are using as long as no one else at the field is using it at the same time.

BlueFFF
BlueFFF, do you have a trainer port out on the Polk? If so, one option may be to have an external 2.4 GHz module, taking the signal off the trainer jack. Velcro on the back of the handset. Will avoid warranty issues!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:59 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
Yes it does have a trainer port. Tell me more. Who makes the trainer jack option?

Thanks,
BlueFFF
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:54 AM
Avoid The Ground!
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Sep 2008
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Yes it does have a trainer port. Tell me more. Who makes the trainer jack option?

Thanks,
BlueFFF

bphobbies or tower..... same connections as other trainer cords...
Flexserve is offline Find More Posts by Flexserve
Old Jan 23, 2009, 05:29 PM
have foam, will fly
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
278 Posts
deleted
waqa is offline Find More Posts by waqa