HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2009, 05:34 AM
Dan Thompson (MP8K developer)
USA, KY, Paris
Joined Dec 2002
329 Posts
Leadwings,

Nice document you have done.

You may want to mention in it a caution: The receive antenna for the RF deck is on the RF deck PCB. It does not use the long antenna for receiving to determine if a channel is being used. If this deck is put in a metal cased transmitter, it will not hear other transmitters that are on and may use the same channel as they are using.
Iflyj3 is offline Find More Posts by Iflyj3
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2009, 07:11 AM
SansHeli
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-111 John
AFAIK those Dealextreme USB cords only encode the four primary channels. They will work on 8 channel radios, but only send four channels to the sim program.
Oh well - can't complain considering what I paid for it.

Thanks.

SansHeli
SansHeli is offline Find More Posts by SansHeli
Old Jun 07, 2009, 02:21 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Thanks for the info on the other page, I broke down and ordered a pistol grip 2.4ghz in the "for sale" section. Figured it was easier and I got it for a great price. If I need a rig for my nephew, I'll come looking for this radio since the reports seem to be good!
Tom
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Jun 07, 2009, 03:19 PM
Joined Jun 2009
16 Posts
Hi, sorry that I disturbt your technical talk.

Do you think that, a beginner could fly a HK-450 helicopter with this radio?
lamppis is offline Find More Posts by lamppis
Old Jun 07, 2009, 08:34 PM
I enjoy the voices
Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamppis
Hi, sorry that I disturbt your technical talk.

Do you think that, a beginner could fly a HK-450 helicopter with this radio?
I'm pretty sure others are using this radio for T-rex 450's and copies. Best bet is post the question to the HK450 thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...76255&page=424
Lead Wings is offline Find More Posts by Lead Wings
Old Jun 07, 2009, 08:35 PM
I enjoy the voices
Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyj3
Leadwings,

Nice document you have done.

You may want to mention in it a caution: The receive antenna for the RF deck is on the RF deck PCB. It does not use the long antenna for receiving to determine if a channel is being used. If this deck is put in a metal cased transmitter, it will not hear other transmitters that are on and may use the same channel as they are using.
Good point thanks, I'll add it to the next revision.
Old Jun 08, 2009, 03:38 AM
I enjoy the voices
Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Latest update attached including MoFl's updated schematics and the note from Iflyj3 about metal cases. Ive also added a how to bind section from one of ajbaker's earlier posts.

It's become a bit of a book (16 pages) but figure it should be a help to others.

Old Jun 08, 2009, 06:40 AM
Flying 3 mistakes high
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,522 Posts
Has anyone measured the RF power out of the transmitter or anyone found a datasheet for the PA chip ZI1110?
Have been through the thread but might have missed it.

That's a great guide too.

Cheers,

Glenn.
GlennS is offline Find More Posts by GlennS
Old Jun 08, 2009, 06:52 AM
Dan Thompson (MP8K developer)
USA, KY, Paris
Joined Dec 2002
329 Posts
Leadwings;

There was an addition added to what I sent. Your manual says;

Point of caution noted by Iflyj3: The Tx and Rx modules actually communicate during binding (ie the Rx transmits and the Tx receives!). The receiver antenna for the RF deck is on the RF deck PCB. It does not use the long antenna for receiving to determine if a channel is being used. If this deck is put in a metal cased transmitter, it will not hear other transmitters that are on and may use the same channel as they are using.

It should read;

Point of caution noted by Iflyj3: The receiver antenna for the RF deck is on the RF deck PCB. It does not use the long antenna for receiving to determine if a channel is being used. If this deck is put in a metal cased transmitter, it will not hear other transmitters that are on and may use the same channel as they are using.

I do not know that the FlySky is duplex communications during binding, so the statement "The Tx and Rx modules actually communicate during binding (ie the Rx transmits and the Tx receives!). " should be removed.

I was talking about the transmitter receiving at a normal power on sequence.

Thanks,

Dan
Iflyj3 is offline Find More Posts by Iflyj3
Old Jun 08, 2009, 01:47 PM
Espaņa, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennS
Has anyone measured the RF power out of the transmitter or anyone found a datasheet for the PA chip ZI1110?
Have been through the thread but might have missed it.

That's a great guide too.

Cheers,

Glenn.
I asked at post#565, and geotrouvetout replied at post 567 that he had found it, and would try to find it again, but I'm afraid he hasn't.

Stated power output seems to be 80 mW
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Old Jun 08, 2009, 01:58 PM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyj3
If this deck is put in a metal cased transmitter, it will not hear other transmitters that are on and may use the same channel as they are using.
Hello ifly3!

Did you find a way around this ?
i have the same problem.
Thanks for sharing any ideas.
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Old Jun 08, 2009, 02:05 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,066 Posts
"Bind/Distance Test" button? HK-T4A

I have read somewhere here, that the "Bind/Distance Test" button does not seem to reduce rf output. If my memory serves me right, those posts were stated as being inconclusive. I do not have a way to measure rf output from my Tx antenna and I see no connection from the micro controller to the rf board that would lead me to believe that that button could be used for distance testing.
So, may I be so brash to conclude that, conclusively, the HK-T4A does NOT have a functioning distance test?

Thanks,
Walt Bankes
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Jun 08, 2009, 03:30 PM
Joined Sep 2008
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbite
So, may I be so brash to conclude that, conclusively, the HK-T4A does NOT have a functioning distance test?

Thanks,
Walt Bankes
That is true. If you turn your receiver on first (you can do that with these RXs w/o the servos going squirly) and while holding the bind button down turn on the TX you will not transmit RF. At least there is no affect servo wise on mine. Someone on a thread said to remove the antenna to range test. I haven't range tested that way myself. My feeling is if you range test antenna on and you get 30-40 yds/mtrs it's likely OK.
abbydawn is offline Find More Posts by abbydawn
Old Jun 08, 2009, 04:03 PM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbydawn
At least there is no affect servo wise on mine. .
I think the RF is actually "ON", but that no servo position data is sent, only bind info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbydawn
Someone on a thread said to remove the antenna to range test. I haven't range tested that way myself. My feeling is if you range test antenna on and you get 30-40 yds/mtrs it's likely OK.
It was Ifly3 I think, and his procedure made a lot of sense :

1) Remove antenna
2) Range test (say 30 to 60 paces)
3) Once control is lost, walk further (say 20 paces)
4) Reinstall antenna and check that control is resumed.

It is a true range test and the last step makes sure that the antenna and its connection are correct.

I suggest that this range test procedure could be added to the document by LeadWings ???
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Old Jun 08, 2009, 07:16 PM
Flying 3 mistakes high
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFl
I asked at post#565, and geotrouvetout replied at post 567 that he had found it, and would try to find it again, but I'm afraid he hasn't.

Stated power output seems to be 80 mW
OK, thanks. I saw that the Flyfly site stated "less than 20dB". I assume that they meant "less than 20dBm" or 100mW?

Glenn.
GlennS is offline Find More Posts by GlennS