HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2009, 11:28 AM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimple
I think this "Modelcraft" or whatever brand will soon be available on Ebay for half the price of conrad

They actually created a custom LCD display for the flysky TX... wow

Probably they use a separate LCD/Config controller..., because that would be the easyest.

regards
Hi, Hans

I don't think it's the same circuit with a separate LCD/Config controller, because, besides the display, it also has digital trims (like the 9 ch model, in fact the joys' mechanics looks the same), and this requires different HW and FW.

So it must be a new model, half way between the 6 and 9 ch models.

It must share a good part of the code with the 6 ch-no display model, but it's a pity they didn't take the chance to add expos and, most important, the possibility to change between different models from the LCD.
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Last edited by MoFl; May 28, 2009 at 11:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2009, 01:25 PM
Joined Sep 2008
2 Posts
I have flown on am and fm now for over twenty years and I am looking to break into 2.4 without spending a fortune and have the reliablity I have with my FM I now use. I am looking at a Turnigy 9x radio and Assan module. Now what I am curious about. They now have version 1 and version 2. What is the difference?

The Turnigy radio it does not come with a battery what plug is used to connect battery to transmitter? What style JR or Futaba? What style charger is used for it?

Will the Assan module x8 series work ok? They have plenty of recievers under $50 usd.

I am also looking at the Hobby King 6 channel. Does anybody have a good link to get the software to program this? I am hearing good things about this radio too. Nobody around here has one. I am I correct to assume this radio will charge with a Futaba charger?

Can anybody help me negotiate this 2.4 minefield?

Thanks
rcer88 is offline Find More Posts by rcer88
Old May 28, 2009, 01:51 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Here is some info on the same Radio but branded under a different name.
This is geared towards helicopters but the software links and such still work.
http://www.mycoolheli.com/t6config.html
I think the HobbyKing 6ch you have to buy the USB cable seperatly.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old May 28, 2009, 04:14 PM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcer88
I am also looking at the Hobby King 6 channel. Does anybody have a good link to get the software to program this? I am hearing good things about this radio too. Nobody around here has one. I am I correct to assume this radio will charge with a Futaba charger?

Thanks
Regarding config SW, several links have been posted in this thread, possibly in the first 20 pages (I can't remember where, but you can perform a search).

Anyway, at this other thread (HK forums) there are several links to the config program.

Also, at post#390, you have the link to keepitsimple's program (alternative to original t6config).

Regarding Futaba charger, I've used one and it works OK.

Finally, regarding the 9 ch system, this thread is mainly related with Flysky's 4 and 6 ch systems, which are sold under several brands (Hobby King, Turborix...), but there's a good thread about the 9 ch system here. You can find also good info about different 2.4 GHz systems at www.rcmodelreviews.com
Last edited by MoFl; May 28, 2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old May 28, 2009, 06:11 PM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
This has probably been anserwed before but I was wondering what to look for in a PDA to programme the 6 ch Tx. Not knowing anything about them hopefully someone can chime in. Thanks for any responses.

B x
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Old May 28, 2009, 07:56 PM
Baby Boomer Builder!
Henderson, Nevada
Joined Feb 2006
32 Posts
rcer88: Having come from a similar background (including single channel w/escapements - see my photo!) and now just getting into 2.4GHz so I can mitigate more crashes due to RF interference, I ordered both the HK and the ASSAN systems. The ASSAN X8F module w/2 receivers was $80 and works fantastic with the TX module installed in my Hitec Optic 6. The guys at the flying field were so impressed with the solid performance that several plan to order the ASSAN as well. Just my experience... Jimaroc
Jimaroc is offline Find More Posts by Jimaroc
Old May 28, 2009, 08:25 PM
I enjoy the voices
Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcer88
I have flown on am and fm now for over twenty years and I am looking to break into 2.4 without spending a fortune and have the reliablity I have with my FM I now use. I am looking at a Turnigy 9x radio and Assan module. Now what I am curious about. They now have version 1 and version 2. What is the difference?

The Turnigy radio it does not come with a battery what plug is used to connect battery to transmitter? What style JR or Futaba? What style charger is used for it?

Will the Assan module x8 series work ok? They have plenty of recievers under $50 usd.

Thanks
rcer88, thought I would share my experience and hope it helps, as I went down the same path a year ago.

Firstly I suggest you mentally detach the Controls/man machine interface (ie gimbals and how they feel, computer functionality, switches, screen etc) from the "radio system" (ie link between controls and Rx be it FM or various 2.4 GHz systems). The reason I say this is there are now options to mix and match different controls with different transmitter systems.

On the controls side, you are probably fairly familiar with the known brands (JR, Spektrum, Futaba etc) and have an idea of the functionality/quality available. On the new comer’s side:
  • I have a HK 4 channel and it is definitively at the cheap end (plastic gimbals etc).
  • I haven’t used a 6 channel, but suspect it may also of the same quality and be at the cheap end. It is programmable, but you need a PC or equivalent to do this, and can only store 1 model at a time
  • There are threads about the Turnigy, by all accounts the feel is excellent (though there seem to be some quality control issues) but there seem to be some faults in the programming (that should be fixed in the next model??)
Now on to the radio system side. To me a big part is the cost of Rxs – I have around 10 models, so the Rx’s will outweigh the cost of the Tx. Again lots of choices – I will only cover 3 here:
  • Spektrum, I would say industry leader, expensive Rx’s
  • Assan. I have been using the system for a year now, without a problem. I have also been following the threads on this, and in general most of the problems people have encountered seem to be user error. In theory the system it uses is not as robust as for example the Spektrum (Assan uses single Rx, no antenna diversity, only single pre-assigned channel backup) but it works and they are working hard to evolve the system. While I say it is not as robust as Spektrum, this does not mean that you will experience problems – we are talking decimal places of differences to me. As I say I have had no problems, after being driven down the 2.4 route after numerous glitches/crashes on FM. Way cheaper than the main brands, more expensive than FlySky.
  • FlySky. This is the system in the HK 6 channels and 6 channels. I have one, but have only flown with it a few times. Again have been following the threads on it. Seems to be a reliable system, cheap Rx’s, only minor point I would raise is that they only seem to have one type of Rx (6 channel) but it’s small and works and is cheap. And I’m sure more will follow.
Now what choice to make. Options are:
  1. Buy a complete system out of the box
  2. Make up your own system – ie get controls Tx that takes a module and then plug in a brand of radio module for your chosen radio system
  3. Modify an existing radio
Number 3 is the path I went – I had a JR 6 channel / 10 model memory computer radio that I liked using, had all the functionality I wanted and was a quality set. I tossed up between hacking it with an Assan or the FlySky out of the HK 4 channel, and decided to go Assan. Also by modifying it I have both 2.4 and FM (hack is actually quite easy). I am about to modify another radio with the FlySky for a mate. With this option you could modify your own radio you have now.

With number 2 you could also buy a good second hand module based radio and plug in an Assan or FlySky or Corona module and off you go, and to me you would have a quality set with much better signal reliabiliy.

One last point of note - if you fly at a club they may limit you to certified equipment - so you may not be able to go down the cheap Chinese equipment route.

Hope that helps.
Lead Wings is offline Find More Posts by Lead Wings
Last edited by Lead Wings; May 29, 2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old May 28, 2009, 08:44 PM
I enjoy the voices
Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by com210
Lead Wings, I used the exact same divider as the turborix one, consisting of R14 R49 and R50. You can see it here thanks to MoFl.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...967207&page=16
Starting voltage? I assume you mean the JR ppm voltage. I measured it at about 5v which if my memory serves me was about the same as the turborix ppm voltage before the divider.
Thanks Com210. How has your hacked radio been going?

Reason I asked is that the turborix is designed to take the PPM signal off the chip, which I assume is 0-5V, and then regulate it down to 3.3V.

I am concerned the PPM voltage from my JR might be higher than 0-5V (though I'm wondering now why!). I measured the PPM with a volt metre at 0.7V, but as it's a PPM signal people told me you really need a oscillocope to measure it. If the PPM is 0-9V (I don't have an oscilloscope) then after the bridge it would be higher than 3.3V, and I have also read that putting more than 3.3V into the FlySky module may cook it. But yours should be the same, and looks like youve had no problems.

Anybody got any idea of the voltage of the PPM signals of FM JR computer radios?? Just want to make sure I don't cook anything!
Last edited by Lead Wings; May 29, 2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old May 29, 2009, 01:09 AM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Wings
FlySky.
This is the system in the HK 6 channels and 6 channels. I have one, but have only flown with it a few times. Again have been following the threads on it. Seems to be a reliable system, cheap Rx’s, only minor point I would raise is that they only seem to have one type of Rx (6 channel) but it’s small and works and is cheap. And I’m sure more will follow.
...[/font]
Flysky also has an 8 channel receiver, under Imax brand.
Suposedly, HK is going to sell the Flysky module for the Turingy 9 ch, so I imagiune they'll also sell the 8 ch receiver.
Old May 29, 2009, 01:23 AM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
...Reason I asked is that the turborix is designed to take the PPM signal off the chip, which I assume is 0-5V, and then regulate it down to 3.3V...
If you make the maths, the signal is divided to approx. 2.4V:
Vout=Vin*10k/(1k+10k+10k)=5*10/21
So it seems there is some margin for Vin until Vout reaches 3.3 V. With this divider, Vin could go to 7V with Vout=3.3V (BTW, others have posted using the module without divider, I wouldn't do that, but it seems its tolerant to high volt input).

Worst case for JR Vout would be Vbattery. If nobody reports its value, you can try to measure it with a voltmeter, with a diode from signal and a capacitor in parallel with voltmeter (kind of peak detector).
Old May 29, 2009, 03:29 AM
I enjoy the voices
Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFl
Flysky also has an 8 channel receiver, under Imax brand.
Suposedly, HK is going to sell the Flysky module for the Turingy 9 ch, so I imagiune they'll also sell the 8 ch receiver.
I'm hoping with the success of their sales we'll see some more Rx's - mainly a small light weight 4 channel. I know you can operate the 6 channel without the satellite unit, and with the cover removed it comes down to 5g, so that's pretty good to start with!
Old May 29, 2009, 03:30 AM
I enjoy the voices
Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFl
If you make the maths, the signal is divided to approx. 2.4V:
Vout=Vin*10k/(1k+10k+10k)=5*10/21
So it seems there is some margin for Vin until Vout reaches 3.3 V. With this divider, Vin could go to 7V with Vout=3.3V (BTW, others have posted using the module without divider, I wouldn't do that, but it seems its tolerant to high volt input).

Worst case for JR Vout would be Vbattery. If nobody reports its value, you can try to measure it with a voltmeter, with a diode from signal and a capacitor in parallel with voltmeter (kind of peak detector).
Thanks for that MoFl. Like your cheat's peak level detector! I'll give it a whurl on the weekend. What sort of cap do you reckon?
Old May 29, 2009, 05:33 AM
Bouvard Western Australia
Joined Feb 2009
41 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Com210. How has your hacked radio been going?

Reason I asked is that the turborix is designed to take the PPM signal off the chip, which I assume is 0-5V, and then regulate it down to 3.3V.

I am concerned the PPM voltage from my JR might be higher than 0-5V (though I'm wondering now why!). I measured the PPM with a volt metre at 0.7V, but as it's a PPM signal people told me you really need a oscillocope to measure it. If the PPM is 0-9V (I don't have an oscilloscope) then after the bridge it would be higher than 3.3V, and I have also read that putting more than 3.3V into the FlySky module may cook it. But yours should be the same, and looks like youve had no problems.

Anybody got any idea of the voltage of the PPM signals of FM JR computer radios?? Just want to make sure I don't cook anything!
Lead Wings, I have been using my modified jr for months now, I have had a few lockouts usually while flying towards myself and a long way out so I guess its due to some form of shadowing. One other glitch tho crashed a model. I was on approach about 6 meters high and about 30 meters from touch down when the model went full down into the ground. I repaired the model, replaced the elevator servo and havent had a problem since. I use this radio two days a week on 2.4 so it gets a fair old workout. The JR being a computer radio, model programming is a breeze.
By the way I tried using the radio without the voltage divider and it worked fine but I wasn't comfortable leaving it that way.
com210 is offline Find More Posts by com210
Last edited by com210; May 29, 2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old May 29, 2009, 11:56 AM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for that MoFl. Like your cheat's peak level detector! I'll give it a whurl on the weekend. What sort of cap do you reckon?
I guess 1 uF would be more than enough.
Old May 30, 2009, 07:17 AM
Joined Aug 2008
9 Posts
I found

If you want get 5 and 6 chanel you need go to mixers and mix Vr A with chanel 5 and thesame with Vr B and chanel 6. You may also mix Vr A with ch 6 as you wish.

Vr's are able only in source. Also you should set ON in "switch"

Also you have one more mixer so if you want you may mix flaps with elevator.

Nice radio for 36$
ertman_176 is offline Find More Posts by ertman_176