HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2009, 11:41 AM
Espaņa, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Yes, an "obsolete" laptop or PDA are more user friendly and easier to use, but in the first case you have to carry another "big thing" to the field, and in the second you have to build your own interface cable, so I think there would be a good "market share" if somebody designed or, even better, if Flysky provided a "programming card" like the one in the photo, especially if they offered it at a price like that ($12-13 + shipping, BTW HK also sells it).

With this price, it'd be difficult to make it cheaper at home, and for a manufacturer, it wouldn't be more expensive to produce a version for transmitter programming than for ESC programming (possibly, same kind of HW with appropriate FW would do).
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2009, 12:18 PM
Joined Sep 2008
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renns
Mofl,

I had thought about the same kind of portable re-programming device. In the end, though, I think a custom program running on a Palm or other PDA would be of greater value. Those older PDA's are sitting unused in the back of many people's desks right now, so most people should be able to scrounge one for very low $ or free. They have a nice big touch-screen interface, and the older ones have proper RS232 capability, making the hardware interface between PDA and tx easy.
Even a choice of two PPC programs, see post #319 here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_81...13/key_/tm.htm
abbydawn is offline Find More Posts by abbydawn
Last edited by abbydawn; May 21, 2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old May 21, 2009, 02:47 PM
Joined Sep 2008
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb
I used one of my Turborix transmitters for three different planes, all with elevons on them. One is a F22 and two different sized JAR models. Once I figured out the mixing for elevons I was all set. It is no big deal to spend a little time trimming between different planes on the first flight of each. Helps keep one fresh on flying skills like trimming a plane. Thus I didn't have to reload settings for different planes.
Now the other Turborix transmitter might need reloading settings for different planes, but so far it hasn't been a problem. it is used for more conventional models.
Would this be another way of trimming your TX for several planes? Use the sub trims (after re centering the mechanical trim levers) and then resave the configuration. This is where the laptop or PPC comes into play at the field.
Old May 21, 2009, 06:58 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,307 Posts
Blackfoot,

I have some questions about this post of yours.

I assume that both regulators for the TX electronics and the RF module get their supply voltage indipendently from the battery.
Is it possible to replace both of them with a single switching regulator set to 5V?
If yes, and I solder it in at the right side of the PCB, what would I have to do with the tiny regulator at the left side? Which contacts of it are to bridge and which to connect with the switch mode reg?
I replaced R30 with an 8k3 resistor already. I assume the LED voltage warning level will not be affected by the regulator tinkering?

Merci beaucoup,

Julez
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old May 22, 2009, 02:06 AM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,692 Posts
Julez,
I think it is possible to fit a single 5V switching regulator to supply both the coder PCB and the RF PCB.
The way I would do it would be to remove the bigger 5V regulator, install the switching regulator in its place, lift the lower pin of the smaller 5V regulator as shown in my photograph) and connect the two points marked "5V Coder" and "5V RF" with a piece of insulated wire.
If any problem due to noise from the RF PCB interfering with the coder is found (or maybe noise from the switching regulator?), I would then remove the extra wire and reconnect the lower pin of the smaller 5V regulator, leaving the coder supplied with its own regulator again.

I haven't done any work in that direction however, being happy so far with the 4-cell experiment I am conducting. ( I found one more advantage: using only 4 cells leaves room in the battery compartment to store a receiver binding plug )

Since you will be using the same battery, the voltage monitoring circuit with 8,3k resistor need not be altered.

I checked the currents:
The 6-channel programmable coder PCB alone drains around 60 mA. This is what current goes through the smaller 5V regulator (4-channel Tx coder drains only 38 mA - I can check this easily because i have fitted 4-pin Deans connectors in the cable to the RF PCB's).
My transmitters have different RF PCB's.
The older one (no LED) drains 50 mA at switch-on, then rises to 78 mA after 2 seconds.
The newer one( with LED) drains 50 mA also, then rises to 136 mA after 2 seconds.

Readings on a crude field strength meter reflect the difference in current with a similar difference in apparent RF output. However, range tests with the same receiver yield equivalent results. I conclude that the data is sent differently, likely updated more often with the newer RF PCB.

I hope this helps.

PS : Vielen Dank! for your efforts last year about the Futaba "00000" ID problem.
JMP_blackfoot is online now Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; May 22, 2009 at 02:46 AM.
Old May 22, 2009, 06:10 AM
Joined Jul 2003
1,692 Posts
Here is shown how I fitted the FlySky RF PCB to my Supertef transmitter.
I have used a Murata switching converter 12V -> 5V type NKE1205DC, but the Supertef uses 10 niCad cells.

Unfortunately the NKE converters do not exist in 9V -> 5V, so cannot be used directly in the FlySky transmitters.
However, they exist in 5V -> 5V (NKE0505DC) which would have been my backup solution with 4 cells if I had met with problems. Still the direct 4-cell is of course making the most efficient use of the batteries.
Old May 22, 2009, 06:18 AM
SansHeli
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
13 Posts
Quote:
The tx itself works on a trainer cord with fms just fine on all channels!
Glad to hear that you have FMS working through the trainer port. Did you have to customise the trainer chord plug? If not which trainer chord are you using? I have a JR plug on my trainer chord and I'll be quite happy to modify it to work with the Turborix. I assume that the programming plug will not work with a simulator?

SansHeli
SansHeli is offline Find More Posts by SansHeli
Old May 22, 2009, 04:02 PM
SansHeli
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFl
I've used the turborix with an standard simulator cable (PPM to USB), but using the supplied serial to USB cable would avoid the need to buy one,
If you guys don't mind me chipping in with a rather simple question compared to the level of the discussion in this thread - will I be able to use my Flight Simulator Cable on the Turborix TX? (I have a Hi-Tech one with a JR plug on it which I can easily make a jack to PS2 connector for using the PPM out and ground).

In other words is the PPM out from the Turborix Trainer plug (at what ever voltage and positive or negative pulse) OK to feed into a PC Flight Sim cable?

I don't want to go ahead try this and risk damaging the radio until someone can confirm that it will work OK.

Thanks.

SansHeli
SansHeli is offline Find More Posts by SansHeli
Old May 23, 2009, 03:51 AM
Espaņa, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SansHeli
...will I be able to use my Flight Simulator Cable on the Turborix TX? (I have a Hi-Tech one with a JR plug on it which I can easily make a jack to PS2 connector for using the PPM out and ground).

In other words is the PPM out from the Turborix Trainer plug (at what ever voltage and positive or negative pulse) OK to feed into a PC Flight Sim cable?

I don't want to go ahead try this and risk damaging the radio until someone can confirm that it will work OK...
My simulator cable (this one looks like the same, and has beter reviews) is like the common cables sold also at ebay. Ends in a male jack, and comes with adaptors (female jack and different male connectors) for different brands.

If you want to make your own adaptor, PPM signal is at the upper left pin. It's 5 volt level and negative going (falling) pulses.

At keepitsimple's post#112 you have the complete pinout (for Flysky/Turborix 6 ch system), and a detailed description of the PPM signal.
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Old May 24, 2009, 08:20 AM
Joined Nov 2004
263 Posts
I've tested my TurboRix 6ch. tx powered by a 2s 900 maH lipo. I used it to power the tx during various setting changes via PC, and also to fly a foamie this morning. I could see no difference between the 2s lipo running around 8v, and the full set of AA's at nominally 12v. The exception being, of course, the low-voltage indicator on the tx was red the whole time. I didn't run the 2s down very far. That's the next test that's needed.
renns is offline Find More Posts by renns
Old May 24, 2009, 08:39 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,307 Posts
Thanks, Blackfoot!

Now I only have to find that darn regulator in my workshop. It disappeared somehow...

I wrote, that the USB cable does not work correctly. Today I found out the cause: The plastic case of the USB plug protudes a little lengthwise, so the USB plug does not stand out as far as others. This made it tricky to push it all the way into the jack.
When I took the plastic case apart and ground off the protrusion, this solved all contact problems.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old May 24, 2009, 09:57 AM
Joined Sep 2008
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renns
I've tested my TurboRix 6ch. tx powered by a 2s 900 maH lipo. I used it to power the tx during various setting changes via PC, and also to fly a foamie this morning. I could see no difference between the 2s lipo running around 8v, and the full set of AA's at nominally 12v. The exception being, of course, the low-voltage indicator on the tx was red the whole time. I didn't run the 2s down very far. That's the next test that's needed.
I'm a bit puzzled why the urge to run the Turborix on 2s lipos as the TX was designed for 12V. I've been running mine on 3s 1600mah since I got it many moons ago. I first did tests on the possibility of over stressing the two VRs and used a heat sensor taped to them. 43C was the maximum tempature recorded after 30 minutes which is a non issue. Is the issue for some cost related 2s vs 3s? There is a lot more flight time between charging with 3s.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:59 AM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
abbydawn,

I think the push to get the TX to run on 2s lipos has to do with finding a 3s pack that will fit in the battery compartment. I have been looking for a 3s pack that will fit for sometime, but most packs over 800mah won't fit inside.

What brand is your 1600mah 3s lipo and where did you get it? I would love to buy a pack for my Flysky TX.

Thanks,
BlueFFF
BlueFFF is offline Find More Posts by BlueFFF
Old May 24, 2009, 11:45 AM
Joined Jul 2003
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbydawn
I'm a bit puzzled why the urge to run the Turborix on 2s lipos as the TX was designed for 12V. .
The transmitter was originally designed for FM, were the RF (35/36, 40/41 or 72 MHz) required the 8 cells. Conversion to 2.4GHz is an afterthought and the designer/manufacturer wanted to keep things compatible so the user could switch between regular FM and 2.4GHz.The 2.4GHz RF only needs 5V as I have ascertained (Its buil-in regulators work down to 3.8~3.9V). The encoder board should work down to even lower, but 5V is where both are most confortable. In short, The manufacturer has arranged to have a 5V system live in a 9.6V house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbydawn
....There is a lot more flight time between charging with 3s.
Well... Actually, with the original 5V regulators, as long as the power supply voltage is above that required for proper operation of the regulators, current drawn is the same. 3S or 2S Lipo's will be discharged at the same rate and will give the same operating time, as will incidentally the 4 NiMh cells I use (providing they are all the same mAh rating - 2100 mAh for example). The advantage of 2S over 3S is that the regulators won't heat up as much, take up less room and they are cheaper solution. But certainly don't expect 3S to last any longer than 2S of the same mAh, unless the original regulators are replaced with switching regulators.
Old May 24, 2009, 12:34 PM
Joined Nov 2004
263 Posts
My sons and I fly scratchbuilt foamies mostly with 2s batteries. We have a bunch of these in the 900 to 1500 mAh range. For me, it'd be handy to simply toss one of the same batteries in the tx as is used in the a/c.

I also read somewhere between this thread and rcuniverse that people were reporting very hot regulators when operated in hot ambient conditions. That's not an issue for us Canucks in winter, but summer gets plenty hot. Seems pointless from a design standpoint to cram all that voltage into the circuit, simply to be lost as heat when regulated down to less than half the initial voltage.
renns is offline Find More Posts by renns