HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2009, 08:49 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFl
This subject has been discussed previously in the thread.
Thanks for the clarification. I get confused on this thread because I don't seem to be able to filter out what applies to the HK-4 channel transmitter and what does not - I am not sure how many different radios are being talked about here, lately.

XJET: Thanks to you, too, for the info on the NiMH x 8 packs - useful!

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Last edited by Kokopeli; May 19, 2009 at 08:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2009, 10:11 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,432 Posts
Flyski is the manufacturer and they probably sold the HK radio under something like 20 or 30 different brand names. All someone has to do is probably order a pallet or two and they can have any label name they want put on the radios.

The electronics are different but the Turborix 6 channel and HK 6 channel and the HK 4 channel transmitters all use the same transmitter case too. The same receivers work with all of them.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old May 20, 2009, 02:13 AM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP_blackfoot
Then we'll see about the 6-channel transmitter, but i do not expect anything much different.
Three small pieces of wire and one LED later, here is what my FlySky 6-channel transmitter main board looks like.
I bypassed both 5V regulators, soldered a red LED across R30 and bypassed D3 (charge circuit diode).
Now, the transmitter works off 4 NiMh cells like my Hobby City 4-channel transmitter.
Bench tests show that the operation is absolutely normal. I have played with the programming of the transmitter and bound two receivers to it. I'll be flying my model with this transmitter later today. I expect nothing unusual, and I now have 8 spare Eneloop/Kodak cells worth $21.54 (Walmart) I can use for flight packs .

Out of curiosity, I checked where the 50 mV noise on the power supply I visualised in post #769 might originate. I found that roughly half of it is generated across the NiMh cells themselves, the other half across the battery box contacts. I expect to reduce that noise to nearly half its present value by soldering the cells in series, so as to reduce power supply impedance as much as possible. Not that I have seen any problem, but I guess every little bit helps and good practice is good practice.
Oh, by the way, D3 was bypassed so as to allow for voltage monitoring and rapid charge of the battery.
I do this on all my transmitters as a matter of routine.
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; May 20, 2009 at 03:32 AM.
Old May 20, 2009, 02:37 AM
Espaņa, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbite
Thanks for the clarification. I get confused on this thread because I don't seem to be able to filter out what applies to the HK-4 channel transmitter and what does not - I am not sure how many different radios are being talked about here, lately.
Walt
You're right, sometimes it's difficult to know what applies to (Flysky-HK-...) 4ch and what is specific for (Flysky-Turborix-HK-...) 6ch.

But, fortunately, regarding the subject of battery voltage, these considerations apply well to both models, because the power feeding circuit is quite the same in both. Also, the RF module is the same for both radios.
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Old May 20, 2009, 02:43 AM
Espaņa, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP_blackfoot
Out of curiosity, I checked where the 50 mV noise on the power supply I visualised in post #769 might originate. I found that roughly half of it is generated across the NiMh cells themselves, the other half across the battery box contacts. I expect to reduce that noise to nearly half its present value by soldering the cells in series, so as to reduce power supply impedance as much as possible. Not that I have seen any problem, but I guess every little bit helps and good practice is good practice...
Maybe it would be a good idea to bypass the regulators with an inductance instead of a plain wire, or to insert a ferrite bead in the shorting wires. This way you get some "RF isolation" between both power rails (MCU and RF module), and also prevent RF noise from traveling upstream.

BTW: What is the time base at your scope's picture in post#769?
Old May 20, 2009, 02:47 AM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,658 Posts
Quote:
Maybe it would be a good idea to bypass the regulators with an inductance instead of a plain wire, or to insert a ferrite bead in the shorting wires. This way you get some "RF isolation" between both power rails (MCU and RF module), and also prevent RF noise from traveling upstream.
Yes, I'll try this later. Thanks.
My scope is misbehaving at the moment, time base is approximately 5~10 ms/cm.
As an aside, I really do like the idea that these modifications are entirely reversible.
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; May 20, 2009 at 03:07 AM.
Old May 20, 2009, 08:50 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Plea for help with BASIC, SIMPLE manual for the HK-T4A

Quote:
You're right, sometimes it's difficult to know what applies to (Flysky-HK-...) 4ch and what is specific for (Flysky-Turborix-HK-...) 6ch.

But, fortunately, regarding the subject of battery voltage, these considerations apply well to both models, because the power feeding circuit is quite the same in both. Also, the RF module is the same for both radios.
Thanks to those of you who have already contributed to this other thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1051701

It is my hope that those who delve into the hacking of both of these radios will bring all the info that they find that is SPECIFIC AND BASIC to the use of the HK-T4A radio and its Rx the HK-TR6A.
I believe that this new thread would be quite useful to those of us who don't understand many of the posts on your thread - it seems to be hard to separate out the basic info from the other radio when one does not understand the highly technical nature of what is being discussed here.
I guess I could state that more simply if I said:
I hope the other thread will become a useful user manual for the HK-T4A that looks like a low level radio that is a breakthrough in price (albeit, shipped with absolutely no manual )

So please take a look at my new thread and contribute the basic stuff that is appropriate to the HK-T4A and needed by the beginner.

Thanks a lot,
Walt Bankes
Old May 20, 2009, 09:22 AM
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Aug 2004
117 Posts
Why don't use "Search this thread" in top right corner corner of this page? I reed almost all of it and I don't think that there's anything new that can be sad about those radios.
Keep it in one place.
Kuba is offline Find More Posts by Kuba
Old May 20, 2009, 09:44 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Well, I have done that and didn't seem to come up with the proper answers.
However, due to the kind replies of people on this thread the answers that were likely there, had I understood them, were explained in a fashion that made sense to me. My conclusion is that there are probably many others (since that radio is an entry level radio) who are in the same boat as I and would benefit from a more compact display of the facts needed to get an entry level person in the air before becoming proficient (or maybe giving up on a new sport) in the more expert aspects of this sport.

Thanks,
Walt
Old May 20, 2009, 01:52 PM
Gnomish Aviator
Central Pennsylvania
Joined Jan 2009
81 Posts
ok, so I hope this isn't redundant ...

Hey all, I have read this thread completely through, and must admit to only fully comprehending portions of it.

some background first:
I have 2 futaba conquests (4ch 72mHz) obtained off of ebay, and a couple of seriously cheap 27mHz (yellow bee and harbor cub) tx's.

I am looking into getting a 2.4 gHz setup.

I would like to the ability to program elevons for planes like the pinata, and like the idea of having one tx for multiple planes without needing to swap crystals. I have access to multiple old xp laptops, so having one accessible in the field for programing will not be a problem.

the question:

So, assuming I don't intend to modify the unit to the extents detailed already by others, and that I do not envision building a plane needing more than 6 chs anytime soon, does the Turborix 2.4Ghz 6Ch seem to fit my needs?

What I am really looking for here is validation that I can show my wife that assures her I am not about to spend money on a cheap solution now, and then turn around in a year or so and want to buy a much more expensive "brand name" later.

Am I correctly inferring from the number and general tone of the posts here that the majority feel that for its price, this is a "quality" option that should fit the bill for a first time 2.4 gHz tx, without requiring that I mod it in order to get it to function reliably?

(I do understand that I could get a lemon, and that is a risk I will have to take.)

Thank you for your opinions,
Murp
Murpagato is offline Find More Posts by Murpagato
Old May 20, 2009, 02:37 PM
Joined Sep 2008
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murpagato
Hey all, I have read this thread completely through, and must admit to only fully comprehending portions of it.

some background first:
I have 2 futaba conquests (4ch 72mHz) obtained off of ebay, and a couple of seriously cheap 27mHz (yellow bee and harbor cub) tx's.

I am looking into getting a 2.4 gHz setup.

I would like to the ability to program elevons for planes like the pinata, and like the idea of having one tx for multiple planes without needing to swap crystals. I have access to multiple old xp laptops, so having one accessible in the field for programing will not be a problem.

the question:

So, assuming I don't intend to modify the unit to the extents detailed already by others, and that I do not envision building a plane needing more than 6 chs anytime soon, does the Turborix 2.4Ghz 6Ch seem to fit my needs?

What I am really looking for here is validation that I can show my wife that assures her I am not about to spend money on a cheap solution now, and then turn around in a year or so and want to buy a much more expensive "brand name" later.

Am I correctly inferring from the number and general tone of the posts here that the majority feel that for its price, this is a "quality" option that should fit the bill for a first time 2.4 gHz tx, without requiring that I mod it in order to get it to function reliably?

(I do understand that I could get a lemon, and that is a risk I will have to take.)

Thank you for your opinions,
Murp
Elevons no problem, set has 3 mixes to program that and a few other configurations. Can't be beat for the price. You are fortunate to already have a laptop for field changes, I went the PPC way, had to buy one. The only thing this set missed is expoential for acro but from the sets you've been used to they didn't have that feature either, is that correct?
Anyhow except for expo I'm happy with mine and so are many others here.
abbydawn is offline Find More Posts by abbydawn
Old May 20, 2009, 05:09 PM
Gnomish Aviator
Central Pennsylvania
Joined Jan 2009
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbydawn
The only thing this set missed is expoential for acro but from the sets you've been used to they didn't have that feature either, is that correct?
Yep, about the only "feature" my current tx's have is servo reversing switches.
So pretty much anything better than basic 4 channel is an improvement.

Having said that, the Futaba's have served me well - but I am beginning to want broader capabilities, but still need to carefully watch the all important budget.

I have been reading through this thread for the past several days, and I have to say I believe that the Turborix will do all that I want. I just want to ensure that I am not getting glazed by all the electronics speak and assuming it will be - and then finding out after the fact that my soldering and techie skills fail the test.

Thus far the wife has been incredibly supportive of my new habit (she bought me an a-10 for xmas and my mom in law bought me a Great Planes Fokker DR-1) but I don't want to "waste money" if I can avoid it.

It looks to me as if this option (the Turborix) is a way to be intelligently frugal.

Again, thanks for the input.
Murp
Murpagato is offline Find More Posts by Murpagato
Old May 20, 2009, 09:25 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,432 Posts
I used one of my Turborix transmitters for three different planes, all with elevons on them. One is a F22 and two different sized JAR models. Once I figured out the mixing for elevons I was all set. It is no big deal to spend a little time trimming between different planes on the first flight of each. Helps keep one fresh on flying skills like trimming a plane. Thus I didn't have to reload settings for different planes.
Now the other Turborix transmitter might need reloading settings for different planes, but so far it hasn't been a problem. it is used for more conventional models.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old May 21, 2009, 03:55 AM
Espaņa, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murpagato
It looks to me as if this option (the Turborix) is a way to be intelligently frugal.
I agree that's exactly what it is.

The idea of going without a display and keyboard (items that make price go up by themselves, and also require a more expensive CPU) is original and, to some extent, revolutionary.

Why expend more money on a part that can be replaced (with advantage) with something almost everybody has at home? It's obvious that, although the T6config isn't a brilliant piece of software, it's still much easier to use than a small LCD screen with 4 buttons. And there are better alternatives (Keepitsimple's program, for example).

And nowadays it's not uncommon, as is your case, to have an "obsolete" laptop laying arround, more than capable to run the configuration software.

It's true that it makes more complicated to make adjustments at the field, but I think, once you've reached a satisfactory combination, probably won't be touching it any more. Maybe the only thing I'd add to the concept is a shitch that could allow to change between, let's say, 4 pre-programmed models, so you can use the radio with more than one plane without having to take a PC or PDA to the field. Obviously, if you start thinking, you could add a lot, of things, but then you'd increase the cost and destry the concept.

Also, another idea that could keep the concept as is, but adding more flexibility, would be that Flysky produced an external "programming card" (could be like this one, intended for ESCs, and need not to be more expensive), so you coud adjust programming at field and/or keep and change between several model's configs with a little aditional investment. We talked about self developing this idea afterthis post, but it would be better if the manufacturer could offer it ready made.
Last edited by MoFl; May 21, 2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old May 21, 2009, 11:27 AM
Joined Nov 2004
263 Posts
Mofl,

I had thought about the same kind of portable re-programming device. In the end, though, I think a custom program running on a Palm or other PDA would be of greater value. Those older PDA's are sitting unused in the back of many people's desks right now, so most people should be able to scrounge one for very low $ or free. They have a nice big touch-screen interface, and the older ones have proper RS232 capability, making the hardware interface between PDA and tx easy.
renns is offline Find More Posts by renns