HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2009, 11:34 AM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
MoFl,

My RF module is the same as the first picture you posted (old version). I checked the TX and I do have 5V on pin 2 as shown in post 178, so perhaps the resistor is to avoid noise as you suggest. I double checked my cable again against the pinout for post 178 and looked at the connection labels on the circuit board and they all match up, so my cable is built right, but it lights up green instead of red when pluged into TX.

Thanks for the help,
BlueFFF
BlueFFF is offline Find More Posts by BlueFFF
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2009, 11:51 AM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
MoFl,

A simple votage test of the trainer port connector on the back of my radio as seen in post 178 gives the following voltage levels for each pin.

pin 1: 4.26V
pin 2: 5.01V
pin 3: 4.56V
pin 4: 4.76V

Could you please check your TX and see if you have similar voltages accross you pins. I just checked each pin socket to the ground shield.

Thanks,
BlueFFF
Old May 17, 2009, 11:59 AM
Espaņa, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Could be because LED colors are not the same in your level shifter?

Looking at this photo, and post 182, LED marked "RX" (center of the board) should be the one that should be glowing.
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Old May 17, 2009, 12:05 PM
Espaņa, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
BlueFFF:

My voltages are

pin 1: 4.30V
pin 2: 5.09V
pin 3: 5.04V
pin 4: 4.81V

I think pin 4 (serial data out) should go to level shifter's RX-I input, and pin 3 (serial data input) to level shifter's TX-O output. Maybe there's a mistake at post#182's schematic, related to +5V signal.
Last edited by MoFl; May 17, 2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old May 17, 2009, 12:55 PM
Baby Boomer Builder!
Henderson, Nevada
Joined Feb 2006
32 Posts
Mofi,

Just returned from flying - too hot here after 10AM! Thought about ASSAN Hack after receiving ASSAN X8F, which I installed in my Hitec Optic 6 - works great. However, at $30 US w/RX, I want to try moving the RF module from the HK to a Futaba Skysport - to go cheap, but with good TX (Futaba) hardware. So, any assistance with the swap is appreciated, from someone who did it already? Good info, though, which I will look into. Thanks, Jimaroc
Jimaroc is offline Find More Posts by Jimaroc
Last edited by Jimaroc; May 17, 2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old May 17, 2009, 01:34 PM
Baby Boomer Builder!
Henderson, Nevada
Joined Feb 2006
32 Posts
Futaba Skysport 6A: FP-T6VA; FCC ID: AZPFP-T6VA-72 can be located on FCC site, but when I try to access details, reply says not available for public access, co apparently, only FCC-licensed people can access info...

Good info from MoFi on training DIN connector pinout site, but prefer to swap RF module internally from HK 2.4GHz to Futaba Skysport 6A for permanent installation.

Thanks, Jim

Does anybody have details? Thanks, Jimaroc
Old May 17, 2009, 01:55 PM
Joined Sep 2008
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimaroc
Mofi,

Just returned from flying - too hot here after 10AM! Thought about ASSAN Hack after receiving ASSAN X8F, which I installed in my Hitec Optic 6 - works great. However, at $30 US w/RX, I want to try moving the RF module from the HK to a Futaba Skysport - to go cheap, but with good TX (Futaba) hardware. So, any assistance with the swap is appreciated, from someone who did it already? Good info, though, which I will look into. Thanks, Jimaroc
I've been watching for a hack on a Hitec Optic 6 as I want to do similar using my Turborix RF board. If you can I would appreciate the wiring connections/mods needed. PM if desired? I would be removing the 72Mhz capability. Mine is the Hitec Sport version TX and appears to have a seperate RF board so removing it entirely seems feasible. It doesn't appear HK will offer a plugin or a self contained 9X specifically for their HK receivers so hack is on.
Thx in advance.
abbydawn is offline Find More Posts by abbydawn
Old May 17, 2009, 02:00 PM
Espaņa, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Sometimes, when there isn't any info available it's because it may be old and they don't have it scanned.

When part of the information is purposely omitted, they usually have a "confidentiality request" letter posted among the info. External photos, for example, are not confidential.

Look at this one: AZPT6YF-72.

Maybe it's not exactly the same, but if it's close enough, in this one the schematic is accesible.

Also, this one looks like the 6VA (analog knob): AZPT6YG-72

Have a look at the photos-manual to see which matches best with your model
Last edited by MoFl; May 17, 2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old May 17, 2009, 02:22 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
MoFl,

I think you are correct pin wires 3 & 4 probably are reversed in the wiring diagram. That would explane why the TX LED is lighting up in stead of the RX LED. I will try resoldering the wire connections and let you know.

BlueFFF
Old May 17, 2009, 02:43 PM
Baby Boomer Builder!
Henderson, Nevada
Joined Feb 2006
32 Posts
MoFl - (I'll write your "handle" correctly yet!), Although the exterior of the TX's in the links are different, they may be the same internally, so I will check into that later. As previously stated, the challenge is to convert a "new" Futaba Skysport 6A from PPM FM to 2.4GHZ using the inexpensive HK 2.4GHz RF components. Thanks again!

abbydawn, the Hitec Optic 6 uses a module, so that is the best way to convert it. The ASSAN X8F module is a simple plug-in and comes with antenna, 2 RXs, a voltage hold-up cap and 2 binding cables (one for each RX) - all for $80 US, so it is a no-brainer. Mine works great, although I did have some difficulty at first de-ciphering the Chinese-to-English binding procedure. The trick is to move the Channel 2 input (elevator?) twice at turn-on and while the red light is still illuminated on the 2.4GHz RF module. Jimaroc
Old May 17, 2009, 02:51 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
MoFl,

I successfully swapped pin 3 and pin 4 wires on my cable and now the red RX LED light up, so I guess that was the problem. Now to try connecting the TX to my Ipac.

BlueFFF
Old May 17, 2009, 02:55 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
Good news! Both the "Chan" and "Pgm" LED's on waqa ipac program now light up when I plug things together. Now to figure out how to use the software.

Thanks MoFl!

BlueFFF
Old May 17, 2009, 03:24 PM
Time for another motto!
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2006
1,413 Posts
Does anyone know about a supposed transmitter module that is compatible with the cheap 13$ HK receivers? I would like one for my Turnigy transmitter, but otherwise could hack my other radio.
JelleB is offline Find More Posts by JelleB
Old May 17, 2009, 04:18 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
MoFl,

More good news! After playing around with the program and removing all the crazy heli mixes the radio seems to work ok. Also the intermittent loss of signal seems to have gone away with a fresh set of batteries for the TX. The old ones were starting to blink yellow red on the TX. I think I will have to change the batteries to a 3cell lipo setup with a warning buzzer. I like the idea of a warning buzzer before the voltage drops below what the TX needs to operate properly.

Someone else has already done this and I remember them saying they had trouble finding a 3cell that would fit. I will need to go back thru the thread and find that post.

Thanks again for all the help!
BlueFFF
Old May 17, 2009, 05:16 PM
Espaņa, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
@JelleB

Flysky's 2.4 GHz "JR like" module should be compatible with HK and Turborix 6 ch receivers (rebranded Flysky's as well).

This module is sold under Imax brand, and seems like you can also buy it from www.flysky-cn.com, but I've read at HK forums that they are going to sell them soon (few weeks they said, a week ago).

@Blueff

Don't worry too much about low voltage level; the battery voltage is regulated down to +5V in the TX's circutry, so as soon as battery voltage is over 7 volts (even 6,5 V, to provide enough overhead to the regulators), the circuits are OK.

Some posts back (726) JMPblackfoot suggested to bypass the regulators and use just 4 NiMH cells. This should work, although you loose the isolation between encoder and RF module power rails, achieved by means of the use of 2 independent regulators, so I think the best hack for this TX's powering is to use a 2s or 3s LiPo (or any kind of battery above 7 Volts), keep the existing linear regulator for the encoder part (which has a low consumption), and replace the bigger 5 volt regulator (which feeds the more power hungry RF module) with a 3.3 switching regulator, connecting it's output directly to the 3.3 volt rail at the RF module (this module is feeded with +5v, but they are directly converted to 3.3 V at the input). This way you have a efficient (up to 90%) conversion from battery voltage to RF power section voltage, thus maximizing battery's energy usage.