SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 15, 2009, 09:02 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyj3
Quite to the contrary. The dual regulators are to keep the voltage quite to the encoder. Most of the 2.4 Ghz RF decks transmit intermittently, so the voltage supply to them fluctuates and this can play havoc with the encoder in some cases.
So is bundling the 2 power rails together good or bad?

BTW, This was posted earlier in on the thread:
It looks like the RF module power is dropped down even more from 5V?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFl
Hello, Hans

Which is the voltage level? If they're TTL maybe I could use the programming USB cable instead of a level shifter.

Another information (I don't know why I didn't look there before!). Just searching applicant name "flysky" at the FCC equipment authorization search:
https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...ericSearch.cfm

I found information for the 3 TXs (4ch, 6ch and 9ch), including photos and schematics:

Turborix 6ch
Hobby King 4ch
Imax 9ch (future Hobby King)

As we guessed, the RF module is the same for all, but the photos are different from mine. Maybe it¡s an older (or newer) version. The MCU at the RF module is different, but the 2.4 GHz sinthesizer looks the same.

Unfortunately, no info on the receivers.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2009, 09:42 AM
Bouvard Western Australia
Joined Feb 2009
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic
JMP,
What about the voltage to the RF module?
What happens when that goes below 5V

I noticed that they put 2 regulators and it looks like one is dedicated for the RF module.
Possibly to keep the voltage regulation "quiet" that is going to the RF module.

Let us know how a range test goes w/ the battery down to 1/4 or 1/2 capacity.
Good work JMP blackfoot! but i'm with you Melnic. I would be a little worried if those regs on the RF board dont get a nice solid 5V.
com210 is offline Find More Posts by com210
Old May 16, 2009, 01:23 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,373 Posts
Cool, I just remembered that I still have a dimension engineering step down voltage regulator in the drawer. I think I will try this one out.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old May 16, 2009, 05:07 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
Need help!

I've got a couple of questions.

1) I've soldered up my adapter cable to hook my ipac to my flysky and when I plug it into the TX the green LED lights up instead of the red, see post 182. What have I done wrong? I've double checked the wiring and it all looks good.

2) I bought this flysky TX from a member of RCgroups for $20, but it was sold to me as just the TX nothing else. So I have no software or cable for the regular pc. I bought a couple of receivers from HK and they finally arrived. Well I can bind the radio to the receiver, but the TX does not seem to work well. I pluged a servo into the receiver, turn the TX on and then the receiver, but I am not always getting a signal to the servo and when I do it moves in a very choppy fashon and I will loose control after a few minutes.

Any ideas of what might be causing this or did I just buy someone elses junk radio that they sold because it did not work right?

BlueFFF
BlueFFF is offline Find More Posts by BlueFFF
Old May 16, 2009, 05:23 PM
USA, TN, Fayetteville
Joined Dec 2004
878 Posts
Mine did the same thing. I swaped the rx and tx pin 3 and 4 on the s-video connector and I get the red light, but I still can't get the software to work. When I connect the ipaq to the transmitter i get both the green and red light, but the software doesn't seem to be able to get any data.
madmike8 is offline Find More Posts by madmike8
Old May 16, 2009, 05:30 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
madmike8,

Are you able to program it using the pc? Also is yours a flysky or a Turborix?
Old May 16, 2009, 05:43 PM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFFF
2) I bought this flysky TX from a member of RCgroups for $20, but it was sold to me as just the TX nothing else. So I have no software or cable for the regular pc. I bought a couple of receivers from HK and they finally arrived. Well I can bind the radio to the receiver, but the TX does not seem to work well. I pluged a servo into the receiver, turn the TX on and then the receiver, but I am not always getting a signal to the servo and when I do it moves in a very choppy fashon and I will loose control after a few minutes.

Any ideas of what might be causing this or did I just buy someone elses junk radio that they sold because it did not work right?
BlueFFF
HK has now the cable, that can be bought separately.
The software can ve downloaded from http://www.flysky-cn.com/, and you can also use keepisimple's soft for PC

Anyway, there seem to be a problem with your TX that isn't related with configuration. Does this happen with all channels? If it's only one of them, might be a mechanical problem in the stick.
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Old May 16, 2009, 05:50 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
I opened up the TX and was looking at the trainer connector and I see that pin 2 & 3 are connected together with a surface mount resistor or something like that. It's a little black rectangular block with the numbers 04 written on the side. One end of the block has been soldered to pin 2 and the other to pin 3. See post 178 for the trainer port pinning http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post11541454. Also there is a picture of the back side of a normal trainer port in post 149 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post11501822 and I don't see this short between the pins.

The 2.4g module also looks different. There is a bigger chip towards the center of the board and non of the orange surface mount blocks. Now I wonder how old this TX is since it is appears to be different then the Tuborix. The module also does not say Flysky on it.

Well that's all I can see?
BlueFFF
Old May 16, 2009, 06:10 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
Ok,

Channel one on the receiver apears to be driven by channels 1, 2 and 3 on the transmitter. Like some kind of mix?

No signal to the receiver for channel 2.

When you attach a servo to channel 4 of the receiver and turn it on the servo moves full in one direction stops and then moves back. and seems to have no control by the TX.
Old May 16, 2009, 07:14 PM
Joined Sep 2008
112 Posts
Quote:
Ok,

Channel one on the receiver apears to be driven by channels 1, 2 and 3 on the transmitter. Like some kind of mix?

No signal to the receiver for channel 2.

When you attach a servo to channel 4 of the receiver and turn it on the servo moves full in one direction stops and then moves back. and seems to have no control by the TX.
I'm not a heli flyer but it sounds like that TX is heli programmed.
abbydawn is offline Find More Posts by abbydawn
Old May 16, 2009, 09:12 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
It probably is heli programmed. I'm sure the person I bought it from flies heli's.

Thanks abby...
Old May 17, 2009, 05:29 AM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
I opened up the TX and was looking at the trainer connector and I see that pin 2 & 3 are connected together with a surface mount resistor or something like that. It's a little black rectangular block with the numbers 04 written on the side. One end of the block has been soldered to pin 2 and the other to pin 3. See post 178 for the trainer port pinning http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post11541454. Also there is a picture of the back side of a normal trainer port in post 149 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post11501822 and I don't see this short between the pins.

The 2.4g module also looks different. There is a bigger chip towards the center of the board and non of the orange surface mount blocks. Now I wonder how old this TX is since it is appears to be different then the Tuborix. The module also does not say Flysky on it.

Well that's all I can see?
BlueFFF
If it's a resistor, connected between +5V and RXD, it may be a pull up to avoid noise at RXD when not in use, it shouldn't cause problems.

Also, have in mind that pinouts at post#178 and post#182 are mirrored, first one looking at the female and the second one at the pins of the male. If you are looking at the male from the back (solder points) then you should use post 178 pinout.

Also, check that you have +5Volts at pin 2 (post 178 numbering), as the level shifter needs them, but some versions might have not this signal (according to tthe FCC schematic at post#423).

Regarding the differences of the RF module, I think there are two versions: a first one, which corresponds to the schematic and photos at the FCC site, and a more recent one, which corresponds to my photos and schematics. The firt one uses a STC89C51 RC MCU, and the second one the customized FS8004 MCU.
Last edited by MoFl; Jun 16, 2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old May 17, 2009, 07:08 AM
Dan Thompson (MP8K developer)
USA, KY, Paris
Joined Dec 2002
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic
So is bundling the 2 power rails together good or bad?
It is only bad if the RF deck interfers with the encoder.
The problem manifest itself in the servo signal will be modified slightly which will cause the servo to twitch. If the servo deadband is loose enought that it will not move with a slight variation in the pulse, you will not see it.

I have had this happen with the Fly-Sky and Spektrum decks.
Iflyj3 is offline Find More Posts by Iflyj3
Old May 17, 2009, 09:56 AM
Baby Boomer Builder!
Henderson, Nevada
Joined Feb 2006
32 Posts
New to thread... Just received HK 2.4 4Ch (6Ch not available yet when I ordered) and am impressed for price. However, TX is cheap (of course), although RX looks great! Would like to swap 2.4 RF module from HK TX to NIB Futaba Skysport 6A TX because of Futaba superior hardware quality. Anyone know about connections to make in Futaba Skysports? I am technically savvy, but do not have schematic for Futaba. Thanks for any assistance. Jimaroc AMA4456
Jimaroc is offline Find More Posts by Jimaroc
Old May 17, 2009, 12:24 PM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
@Jimaroc

If you have the FCC ID, maybe you can find the schematic here.

Also, good info here on how to install the Assan 2.4 GHz hack module on your radio.

Once you have identified PPM, +Vcc and GND, installing the Flysky-HK RF module should be quite similar to other conversions posted in this thread.

Just remember you should step down Vcc to +5V, better with a switching reg to improve efficiency (and, if you feel confident, would be even better to use a +3.3 V switching regulator and hook it directly to the output of the 3.3 V reg at the RF module).

Also, if the PPM signal is >3.3 V, you should use a resistive divider to shift it down. I don't know if the Flysky-HK RF module works OK with both positive and negative going PPM pulses, but if signal polarity is a problem, then you'd need to insert a PPM signal inverter (one transistor will do).

Finally, it would be necessary to inhibit "origiinal" RF output. One possibility is just pull out the crystal, but it would be better to remove power feed to original RF part, to avoid waisting battery power. Also, according to this page, shorting pins 4 & 5 at the trainer port stops RF on some Futaba modules. Lots of info about trainer ports, signal adaption..., on that page.

If you don't want to install the 2.4 GHz inside, you can also put it in an external box, and connect it using the trainer port.