SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 10, 2009, 07:08 PM
Suspended Account
SE USA
Joined Aug 2008
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPFlyer
Unreal. While I'm sure the tx is a POS, it is hard to believe they can even buy the 2.4 circuitry. Let us know how it goes.
IPFlyer: 2.4GHz PCB work is very inexpencive. Material wise, there are no exotic or new ICs required for operation. I would be suprised if the circut board inside the transmitter costs more than $4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjpaul
FCC ID? I would bet that the cost of hiring a qualified testing lab, running the tests and submitting the paperwork would be greater then the potential profits if it sells retail at $30.00

2.4GHz is under Part 15; no FCC ID required to operate given you are operating under the FCC rules. I doubt this thing has any high power transmission output.

I ordered one and it came in with the rest of my parts last week. The sticks are decent enough, trim tabs are mechanical. Overall the quality is very good, a step down from the typical $300 transmitters... no rubber grips, etc. however the plastic is clean and uniform, as well as the labeling.

No manual, however for something this basic everything is common sense. If this were your first radio, you'd probably have to figure out which channel numbers control which functions, but that's about it. The only programming feature is servo reverse (Set of four switches on the front). There is a trainer port, however it is only for PC use (No trainer switch, no buddy box function). I have not had time to look at it closer, will do so next weekend.

I bought this to see if it would be a practical radio for a first time R/Cer. A quality $25 with straight forward 4 channel operation would be ideal for a first time pilot. It looks like it fits the bill. I would probably recommend this as a first radio, unless if one had some extra cash + time to read long manuals and was planning on having several planes. I'm beginning to think if I can use this radio with my planes at R/C events, so I don't have to screw around with the pin board. Obviously if I were to go this far with this system it would be much more ideal to buy a Dx6 for not much more, however this would probably be plenty for typical park flyer operation or any kind of local flying club.

I'm not sure about this, but this radio may not have spread spektrum. Even if it doesn't, the chances of being shot down are small (not minimal) however it would be something I would strongly recommend avoiding this at a very large fly-in.

Nice little piece of gear. Seems great for electric flying at a field, not including large events. (i.e. SEFF, etc)
RTFD is offline Find More Posts by RTFD
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2009, 07:10 PM
Yorkville IL
Joined Oct 2008
87 Posts
So is this thing good? Also how do you like the other cheap system. I need something for a slo fly that im going to be building and I need something for a delta.
Rys2k8Altima is offline Find More Posts by Rys2k8Altima
Old Jan 11, 2009, 06:07 AM
I enjoy the voices
Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Possible hack donor?

I am thinking about getting one of these to hack the 2.4 G module out to put in a 36 Mhz computer radio.

Anyone opened one of there up? Is there a seperate radio board? Does it have the standard 3 wire PPM input?

For $30, I might just get one and pull it apart and see what's in there - I'll post results if I do
Lead Wings is offline Find More Posts by Lead Wings
Old Jan 11, 2009, 09:42 PM
Curitiba - Brasil
Joined Dec 2008
1 Posts
new review for this radio
http://www.e-voo.com/forum/viewtopic...252&highlight=

my topic in brazilian forum
fcamargo0101 is offline Find More Posts by fcamargo0101
Old Jan 11, 2009, 09:57 PM
Yorkville IL
Joined Oct 2008
87 Posts
Great glad I speak english
Rys2k8Altima is offline Find More Posts by Rys2k8Altima
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:18 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Wings
I am thinking about getting one of these to hack the 2.4 G module out to put in a 36 Mhz computer radio.

Anyone opened one of there up? Is there a seperate radio board? Does it have the standard 3 wire PPM input?

For $30, I might just get one and pull it apart and see what's in there - I'll post results if I do
It will cost you closer to AU$80
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Jan 12, 2009, 09:02 AM
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
825 Posts
Here is the range test on the ground of HK TX .
http://pfmrc.eu/viewtopic.php?p=151099#151099
- as it is not in english I translate
1000m range without problem , receiver 1m on the ground , more distance was not done as the road end . Looks like it is full range TX and RX system .
remzibi is offline Find More Posts by remzibi
Old Jan 13, 2009, 12:41 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by remzibi
Here is the range test on the ground of HK TX .
http://pfmrc.eu/viewtopic.php?p=151099#151099
- as it is not in english I translate
1000m range without problem , receiver 1m on the ground , more distance was not done as the road end . Looks like it is full range TX and RX system .
Thanks Remzibi.
This little baby is looking coooooool eh?

"receiver 1m on the ground " What do you mean here?

Kev

The future is not a place we are going to, but one we are creating. The paths to it are not found, but made, and the making of these pathways changes both the maker and the destination.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 02:19 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:

There is a separate radio board w/standard 3wire PPM. It is Spread Spectrum.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jan 13, 2009, 02:30 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
There is a separate radio board w/standard 3wire PPM. It is Spread Spectrum.
AJ
What is Spread Spectrum?

Kev
Old Jan 13, 2009, 02:56 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Follow Up - More Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
See post #35. I have a Turborix on order and I am waiting for it. I hope to get it in 7 days or less. My plan is to use the Turborix transmitter (6ch) with the HK receivers (6ch), if they are compatible (thereby, I would have full use of ALL 6 channels). I will post the results as soon the Turborix system arrives. The down side of the Turborix is that you need a computer to program any changes. Meanwhile, I do not think there is any way to make the HK transmitter (4ch) operate all 6 channels of the receiver that comes with it.
AJ
I got the r2 (Turborix) 6ch system and rcvr today. The short follow up is almost all positive. The receivers from r2 or HK are compatible with either transmitter and made by the same manufacturer (flyskychina.com). It took me about 9 hours to figure out every nook and cranny of the ACRO (airplane) programming. The big down side of the r2 is that you need a laptop to change models. For me, that is OK. I have 33 RTF planes and now I can program each one exactly as I want it. I did the math and I can save about 4500 models on a floppy. To change models takes about 20 seconds if the laptop is on. So, in summary, here is my recommendation: buy the r2 system and whatever number of receivers that you require from HK. I have a total of 9 receivers (8 from HK) and I bound all of them to the HK first. Right now, they are all bound to the r2 and I can use all six channels. One r2 system was $60.30USD - delivered to my doorstep. Cool, very cool low end system. It comes with a CD for drivers and a manual (22 pages) that you can print out. I did not see anything that looks like expo settings (still ok with me). However, maybe somewhere in the heli settings there might be something that sets expo (probably under another name). So, if anyone figures out how to set expo, let us all know. The r2 system fills all of my needs for now. Oh, I put NiMh batteries in the transmitter and use a peak charger to charge it. I put brand new Duracell batteries in the HK (4ch) system and left it on to see how long they would last. It went from green (OK) to Orange (warning) in 3hrs. 15mins. It went from Orange to Red (big warning) in 10hrs 22ins later. All this time the system is fully functional. It went from red to unreliable 26 hrs later. So, all it all, it was functional for almost 40 hrs of continuous flying. Wow. The pictures below show both systems and a glimpse of the program that sets all the bells and whistles in the transmitter. Enjoy.

AJ

P.S. Here is a thread with a lot of good info on the r2 system.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 13, 2009 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Add info on another thread
Old Jan 13, 2009, 09:41 AM
Marion
USA, NC, Hillsborough
Joined Oct 2003
1,018 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the info Keep up the good work. This is most interesting to me, and probably lots of others too.

Marion
Marion is offline Find More Posts by Marion
Old Jan 13, 2009, 06:24 PM
I enjoy the voices
Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
9 channel also??

I think this is the mob that make them:

http://colco.en.alibaba.com/product/...ansmitter.html

Interestingly they also have a 9 channel radio shown - anyone ever seen one for sale anywhere?

Also nothing I could see ont eh site on Rx's that they make - I wonder if there are others you can get (eg lightweight 4 channel Rx?).
Lead Wings is offline Find More Posts by Lead Wings
Old Jan 13, 2009, 06:36 PM
Trying to fly on the cheap!
Norway, Rogaland, Stavanger
Joined Aug 2008
615 Posts
This is probably the 9ch radio hobbycity will sell for us$ 99

See post #13
http://myhobbycity.com/showthread.php?t=4678&page=2
mosca.br is offline Find More Posts by mosca.br
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:25 PM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
Quote:
I think this is the mob that make them:

http://colco.en.alibaba.com/product/...ansmitter.html

Interestingly they also have a 9 channel radio shown - anyone ever seen one for sale anywhere?
It's the same as the iMax 9X
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet