Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 22, 2013, 05:32 AM
Joined Jul 2009
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpiyush View Post

What stands for this good...?
Ground voltage and +5volt are available on many traces of the board.

A good ground spot will be a point on the mainboard where the -battery voltage is soldered to and where you can put your probe pin without the danger of making an electrical short with any other conductor.

For the +5volt, you will see the +Battery wire/printed wire going to a 5 volt regulator (7805/ 78L05 or similar 3 pin IC)) where the input voltage is battery and the output is the regulated +5volt that is used on the main board as power supply.
Find a spot where you don't risk to make a short when you put your voltage meter probe on it and you will have a good/safe spot to measure

Reinhard
ReSt is offline Find More Posts by ReSt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:51 AM
India, GJ, Bhavnagar
Joined Jun 2009
133 Posts
Thank you again. I got it.
drpiyush is offline Find More Posts by drpiyush
Old Sep 05, 2013, 10:58 PM
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Jan 2012
471 Posts
Hey everybody,

I have a T-6A (well, rather the receiver that goes with one, the R-6X) from ZD-FLY in my DLG, and I'm getting rather terrible range. With range-check on, I lose signal around 20 feet away, and without it on, I can only get a signal 40 feet away or closer. The antenna is hanging outside the fuselage (no interference from carbon structure) and the battery is full. This isn't making any sense to me.

Is this designed only for helicopters that don't go as far away as planes do? If so, shame on the manufacturer.
Zedtwitz is offline Find More Posts by Zedtwitz
Last edited by Zedtwitz; Sep 05, 2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2013, 11:17 PM
wrong descision, wrong time
United States, WA, Maple Valley
Joined Sep 2010
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedtwitz View Post
Hey everybody,

I have a T-6A from ZD-FLY in my DLG, and I'm getting rather terrible range. With range-check on, I lose signal around 20 feet away, and without it on, I can only get a signal 40 feet away or closer. The antenna is hanging outside the fuselage (no interference from carbon structure) and the battery is full. This isn't making any sense to me.

Is this designed only for helicopters that don't go as far away as planes do? If so, shame on the manufacturer.
Is the T-6A the first or second version of the FlySky recievers? I'm using the second version of the 6 channel flysky recievers in my my DLGs, with the antenna inside the fuselage (kevlar nose to make it 2.4Ghz friendly). I get great range and can fly as far as I can see. I did have a reciever that had a partially cut antenna wire, with this reciever my range was severly limited (almost lost a plane). Carefully inspect your antenna wire to make sure it is cut in any way.

If this is the first version of the flysky recievers, make sure you are using the satellite and again, make sure the antennas are in good shape.

Heath
dumb_thumbs is offline Find More Posts by dumb_thumbs
Old Sep 05, 2013, 11:28 PM
Joined Jan 2012
471 Posts
It is exactly like this one, and the receiver did not have a satellite (let alone a port). If there is an alternative I can get that has a satellite receiver - meaning a diversity circuit - I would prefer that over this one!

The antenna did detach a few months ago, but I resoldered it... should probably open it up again and check that out. Thanks.
Old Sep 05, 2013, 11:54 PM
wrong descision, wrong time
United States, WA, Maple Valley
Joined Sep 2010
493 Posts
Quote:
It is exactly like this one, and the receiver did not have a satellite (let alone a port). If there is an alternative I can get that has a satellite receiver - meaning a diversity circuit - I would prefer that over this one!

The antenna did detach a few months ago, but I resoldered it... should probably open it up again and check that out. Thanks.
Yes, that is version 2. It doesn't really need the diversity of having a satellite reciever. This reciever has been very reliable for me. The antenna on the reciever is very finicky. I had another reciever with a broken antenna, and I could never get the range out of it. I ended up just using it for bench testing only.

On a side note, for my DLG I removed the plastic case. To protect the antenna and reciever, I put a big glob of hot glue over the antenna. Then I covered the reciever with heat shrink. The process of heating the heat shrink tubing melted the hot glue, and this created a great antenna support on the end of the reciever. I'd take a picture, but its shoe-horned into my fuselage, and I don't want to dig it out .

Heath
dumb_thumbs is offline Find More Posts by dumb_thumbs
Old Sep 06, 2013, 05:45 AM
Joined Jul 2009
648 Posts
This short range normally points to a bad antenna, receiver or transmitter.
Even though the bind button may also be called 'range check', this button does only do the binding and in none of the radios it has a function of range check. This TX module is not able to do a range check.

Are you aware that these antenna wires are not single wires but coaxial ones, that have an inner conductor, an isolating plastic and an outer shell?

Both, the inner wire and the shell must be soldered carefully and to the correct tabs. And the antenna wire must not be pinched or have a short beween inner and outer conductor.
Antenna can be measured for shorts between inner and outer wire only as long as they are not soldered to the receiver.

A poor range could also be the result of a bad tx antenna. If available, check with a different receiver.

Reinhard
Old Sep 06, 2013, 01:31 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2013
123 Posts
I had a similar problem with my T6/R6B pair and it turned out to be the receiver. So if you can, try range check with another receiver. Haven't been able to fix the receiver though, just ordered a new receiver and put the old one in my "junk" pile.
No range problems since then and link seems pretty solid with all my other R6B receivers.
elewon is offline Find More Posts by elewon
Old Sep 06, 2013, 02:14 PM
Joined Jan 2012
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSt View Post
This short range normally points to a bad antenna, receiver or transmitter.
Even though the bind button may also be called 'range check', this button does only do the binding and in none of the radios it has a function of range check. This TX module is not able to do a range check.

Are you aware that these antenna wires are not single wires but coaxial ones, that have an inner conductor, an isolating plastic and an outer shell?

Both, the inner wire and the shell must be soldered carefully and to the correct tabs. And the antenna wire must not be pinched or have a short beween inner and outer conductor.
Antenna can be measured for shorts between inner and outer wire only as long as they are not soldered to the receiver.

A poor range could also be the result of a bad tx antenna. If available, check with a different receiver.

Reinhard
I'm aware; I did resolder both the internal (signal) and coax shielding (ground) connections but I have yet to check them.

I was under the impression that the bind/rangetest button reduced power to 1/10th normal operating power as long as the button is held. Is that not so?

I will have to check that my batteries are working.
Old Sep 06, 2013, 02:57 PM
Joined Jul 2009
648 Posts
No it doesn't.

Reinhard
Old Sep 06, 2013, 05:33 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,996 Posts
Quote:

I was under the impression that the bind/rangetest button reduced power to 1/10th normal operating power as long as the button is held. Is that not so?.
Sorry, but despite the clear "Range" label it works only as a bind button.

By the way, to provide a useful range test function, the power would have to be reduced by a factor of around 100. At 1/10 power, you should still get 200-300 meters range.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Sep 06, 2013, 07:25 PM
Joined Jan 2012
471 Posts
Well it is just a cheap Chinese radio anyway thanks for the info. I'll let you all know how this sorts out soon.
Old Sep 08, 2013, 02:22 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
139 Posts
I have had a receiver lose sensitivity, could only get about 30ft range. The antenna was ok, the Rx was just sick. I use it as a bench test Rx now.
KIWINB is offline Find More Posts by KIWINB
Old Sep 08, 2013, 04:20 PM
Joined Jan 2012
471 Posts
Replacements are only $20, so maybe I'll get one.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 02:55 PM
Joined Jan 2012
471 Posts
Hey, is it okay if I replace the 8 AAs in here with two lithium cells (18650s)? The main controller board is labeled as requiring 12v input but I've seen Turnigy 9x mods where a 7.4v lithium pack is substituted in.