HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2012, 05:30 PM
New Zealand, Bay Of Plenty, Tauranga
Joined Nov 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nail View Post
Thanks, it does look as if they have improved the thing. Seems to work well enough in my quadcopter.

Had a further thought about using NiMH batteries with my switching regulator: I can just fit 8 cells which will give me about 10.4v down to about 8.8V, so the current drain will be about 70 mA rising to 82 mA as the battery discharges. Average of 76 mA which means a 2000mA-Hr battery will give me 26 hours of operation. The only mod needed is to the voltage sensor that drives the led - it is a voltage divider comprising a 4k7 and a 10k in series, feeding an ADC input on the micro. Simple enough to change the 10K to scale down the trip points for green, red and orange.
Saves me having to change the battery connections to having 2 banks of 4 in parallel since I already have the switching regulator
harlequin2 is offline Find More Posts by harlequin2
Last edited by harlequin2; Jan 29, 2012 at 08:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:53 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequin2 View Post
Well, I have done it before - lots of times, its what I do and I have lots of smt parts available or else I wouldn't consider it.
actually my post was directed at others who read this thread because you seem to have things under control. for those who havent done it before diy can be an exciting and educational experience. although i dont recommend smd for starting out.

i run an assembly house business and have hundreds of ti simple switcher chips left over from a prevoius job. i personally wouldnt build one though considering the ridiculous low price of the ebay unit.

Quote:
I wanted to drop the current drain because my alkaline cells certainly didn't last 20 hours, it was more like 2 hours. Where do you get alkaline batteries that will supply 2.6 AHrs?
alkaline batteries are 3000mah and so generally have more capacity than most rechargeables. not very cost effective though. there must be something wrong with your radio or your ability to calculate:

3000mah/130ma=23hrs not 2hrs

actually in tests i got somewhere between 21hrs 15min and 21 hrs 30min with my ternegy 3000mah nimh because they are not 100% efficient.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:36 PM
New Zealand, Bay Of Plenty, Tauranga
Joined Nov 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
actually my post was directed at others who read this thread because you seem to have things under control. for those who havent done it before diy can be an exciting and educational experience. although i dont recommend smd for starting out.

i run an assembly house business and have hundreds of ti simple switcher chips left over from a prevoius job. i personally wouldnt build one though considering the ridiculous low price of the ebay unit.

alkaline batteries are 3000mah and so generally have more capacity than most rechargeables. not very cost effective though. there must be something wrong with your radio or your ability to calculate:

3000mah/130ma=23hrs not 2hrs

actually in tests i got somewhere between 21hrs 15min and 21 hrs 30min with my ternegy 3000mah nimh because they are not 100% efficient.
I thought that this forum was visited by lots of knowledgeable enthusiasts who would be interested in stuff like regulators and have the skills needed to build one of their own and if that's the case, I can make it easy for them. Also, these days it is surprisingly easy to build stuff with surface mount parts, I suggest even easier than the old thru-hole technology in many cases. Certainly for one-offs and if you haven't done it before, give it a go!

(That post directed at others who might read this thread!)

I did find out what the eBay regulator you mentioned did and it seemed to be a 5V one for supplying receivers, not sure what its current capability is, it didn't say. Perhaps you were able to calculate it?

I also took the trouble of looking up the discharge curves for alkaline cells and discovered that a "good" cell eg Duracell typically does around 2000 mA-Hrs at 100 mA so they should give about 15 hours of operation at 130 mA ie in the T6 transmitter. (Please check my arithmetic!)
Mine didn't last anywhere near that long, so I suspect that they may not be very high quality cells. Or maybe a bit old.

Maybe you'd like to put up a link to your "assembly house business" so we could get quotes for manufacturing jobs?

BTW, there's a Shift key at each end of most keyboards.
harlequin2 is offline Find More Posts by harlequin2
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:47 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
I thought that this forum was visited by lots of knowledgeable enthusiasts who would be interested in stuff like regulators
THATS WHY I RECOMmENDED YOUR DIY APPROACH. EVEN THOUGH HACKER TYPES ARE OUTNUMBERED 100:1 A SWITCHER IS A FUN PROJECT FOR ANYBODY WHO HAS NOT DONE ONE BEFORE. CHIPS COILS, CAPACITORS, RESISTORS... WHATS NOT TO LIKE!

Quote:
I did find out what the eBay regulator you mentioned did and it seemed to be a 5V one for supplying receivers, not sure what its current capability is, it didn't say. Perhaps you were able to calculate it?
MOST EBAY SELLERS LIST IT AT 4A BUT IT DOES 5A OR EVEN 6A FOR SHORT PERIODS. SPECIALLY IF YOU REMOVE THE SHRINK. OVERKILL FOR A RADIO BUT CONSIDERING THE PRICE.... CERTAINLY A BETTER DEAL THAN THOSE RIDICULOUSLY OVER-PRICED SPARKFUN UNITS THAT ARE SO POPULAR HERE.

Quote:
I also took the trouble of looking up the discharge curves for alkaline cells and discovered that a "good" cell eg Duracell typically does around 2000 mA-Hrs
ALTHOUGH TESTING MANY LITHIUM AND NIxx I MUST ADMIT TO NOT HAVING
ACTUALLY DONE SO WITH AN ALKALINE. HAVENT EVEN USED ONE IN QUITE SOME TIME. MY FIGURES WERE FROM HERE:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaline_battery

QUOTE: "An AA-sized alkaline battery might have an effective capacity of 3000"

Quote:
Maybe you'd like to put up a link to your "assembly house business" so we could get quotes for manufacturing jobs?
NAAHHHH... THATS OK. I HAVE DONE WORK FOR MANY RCGROUPS MEMBERS LAST FEW YEARS BUT NOT LATELY DUE TO SCHOOL AND DAY JOB.

Quote:
BTW, there's a Shift key at each end of most keyboards.
WOW! YOU ARE RIGHT! AND BOLD IS EVEN MORE FUN.

OMG! IT GETS EVEN BETTER!!!!
Old Feb 05, 2012, 06:53 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4 Posts
Hi

Just curious, is this a new HF module from Flysky?

Anybody knows what the unused, thus intriging, pins/connections are for?

I hope 2 way communication???

Thanks
eisenficker is offline Find More Posts by eisenficker
Old Feb 05, 2012, 07:14 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4 Posts
I came up with

SDIO: SPI output/ input data
SCK : SPI clock signal
SCS : SPI works. (Chinese translation)

So not that mysterious..
eisenficker is offline Find More Posts by eisenficker
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:19 AM
United States, DE, Newark
Joined May 2011
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenficker View Post
SCS : SPI works. (Chinese translation)
Serial Chip Select.
iksbob is offline Find More Posts by iksbob
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Nov 2007
909 Posts
Quote:
I had a look at that link on eBay and I can't even figure out what it is he is selling! Can you explain what it is/does? Since you bought one.
This is a switching regulator using the National LM2576 part. The National part is rated at 3 amps and only requires a diode, inductor and two capacitors, one cap for the input and one cap for the output.

There is no documents with it, the lead with the connector is the 5 volt output and the other lead without a connector goes to the high voltage battery pack. The maximum input voltage is 40 volts.

The circuit diagrams and efficiency chart are here:
http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM2576.html#Diagrams

The efficiency is fairly low, 75% to 80% but that is much better then any linear regulator.
mjsas is offline Find More Posts by mjsas
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:31 PM
Deutschland, HB, Bremen
Joined Dec 2008
247 Posts
Hi,
does anyone the five switches SWA -SWE on CT6A soldered
and tested how they work ?
or is not supported by the software of the cpu ?
snapper1234 is offline Find More Posts by snapper1234
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:38 AM
Espaņa, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper1234 View Post
Hi,
does anyone the five switches SWA -SWE on CT6A soldered
and tested how they work ?
or is not supported by the software of the cpu ?
I tested it, unfortunately doesn't wortk

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=478
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:07 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
They load those switches for reversing servos and run different firmware for th 4Ch I believe.
The 4C version does not have the programming capability or the mixing etc.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:11 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
the 4ch does have programming and mix via a pc just like the 6ch. it must since there are no switches. the t6 model memory expander i designed works with both:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1576790
Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:23 AM
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Dec 2010
116 Posts
Another mixing q...

So I have the Turborix 6 ch Tx and have been using it successfully on a plane with ailerons, rudder, elevator and throttle. I am also running flaperons thanks to F111John's very useful profile/tutorial and have been messing with various mixes for my next plane, but seem to have hit an impasse.

I've got a 2m glider (Raptor advance 2000) in the mail (it arrives Thursday!) with ailerons, flaps and a v-tail ... and a motor. My question is if there is ANY way to get flaperons/spoilerons and or crow on this new bird?

I was thinking that I might try to use a v-tail mixer (in the plane) for the v-tail (that gives me back two mixes). So if I use mix one to join the ailerons (CH1&6), I'd need mixes 2&3 for the flaperons... Now I still need the flaps (CH5). If I plug them in on a simple y-harness to ch 5 will they be automatically usable on VR A or do I need a mix for that to happen? I think I'd need a mix if I want the flaps on a switch but I'm not sure. In general if I put a servo on channel 5 (or 6) will it automatically be controlled by VR A (or B) or does it require a mix to do that?

At the very least I can use mixes 1&2 for the V-tail and mix 3 for the flaps which i will put on a y-harness, and just use the ailerons on a y-harness as well...

I am wondering if I can use another v-tail mixer to make flaperons/spoilerons? Since that device takes 2 servos and controls them through a ratio between 2 channels... I'm thinking there is a way but can't seem to get my brain around how to do it.

It sure would be nice to get a little extra camber, and/or possibly crow (ailerons up and flaps down) with this plane. I know I may be at the limits of this radio's capabilities but after searching and reading it seems like folks have made these bargain radios do some amazing things... I've been just blown away reading this thread.

I appreciate your thoughts and help on this.
Thanks,
Rookie
WH Rookie is offline Find More Posts by WH Rookie
Last edited by WH Rookie; Feb 15, 2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:06 AM
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Dec 2010
116 Posts
Bump...

Anyone ... a little help?
Rookie
WH Rookie is offline Find More Posts by WH Rookie
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:30 AM
wrong descision, wrong time
United States, WA, Maple Valley
Joined Sep 2010
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WH Rookie View Post
Anyone ... a little help?
Rookie
I read your requirements, and I'm going to be honest with you. You may want to look into getting the 9 channel flysky transmitter:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-th9x-r...nel-radio.html

It has 6 mixes, and a glider mode that you can use to setup crow and cruise modes. Plus its compatible with the flysky v2 6 channel receivers. Plus its has lots of other great features (on par with much more expensive radios).

If you really need to stick with the Turborix TX, then you will be limited on what you can do. I'd do the v-tail mixer, Y-harnesses for the ailerons and flaps. For the flaps mount the servos such that the arms move the same way (i.e. reverse mount one of the servos). For the flaps you can plug them into channel 5, then mix a VR knob with channel 5 and control it with a switch. To get crow, you'll need to mix the flaps channel to the elevator. By my estimation that leaves you with one extra mix you can use for something else.

Keep in mind this is just an idea, I'm not sure if it will work as I have never done this, just read about it on various forums etc.

-Heath
dumb_thumbs is offline Find More Posts by dumb_thumbs