919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie
This one though
http://r2hobbies.com/proddetail.php?...cps61206_61411
is programmable & has 4 model memories at only $42

Happy Flyin'

Kev

The idea of a transmitter that has to be programmed through a computer kinda makes me nervous. What happens when your XP machine dies and you replace it with a Vista machine, or Vista machine dies and you have to go to Windows 7 because you can't purchase Vista/XP anymore....
Or, even just a service pack comes out that breaks the driver?

Similarly, the Castle Creations programmer for BL ESCs is neat and I trust them quite a bit to keep it up to date, but I really like the little programming cards that are now available...no worries about computer compatibility.

I suppose it's a throw-away TX in the first place...but I'm sure it would stop working at the worst possible time, and then you'd have to transfer everything to a new system, but you might not be able to get the old setup out of the old TX as it has no screen...ugh.

D.
darkith is offline Find More Posts by darkith
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2009, 06:38 PM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
It strikes me that this manufacturer might be advised to bring out a little stand-alone programmer that can be plugged into the transmitter.

The programmer device could probably be manufactured and retailed for US$50 and it would allow "at the field" updates/changes to be made without recourse to a PC. A simple LCD display ($8), a microcontroller with USB interface ($5), some switches, a cable and a case ($10).

That would allow such a system to start competing with the low-end of the "big name" systems and might encourage more sales into clubs where someone already has this gear. ie: several people could share the one programmer if they needed to.
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old Jan 03, 2009, 05:19 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
HK 2.4ghz info

Hi all - I just ran across this thread and I learned a few things. So, thanks. I am including some info that I have put together from several sources and my best interpretation of Chinese to English instructions on how to bind the tx and rx(s) together. Thanks again. Oh, for the weight concious, you can use just the main receiver for those little indoor planes. Range does not seem to be compromised by doing this. I hope a few of you will try this and let us all know your results on a range test. Like several of you, I just got this and I have not put it in a plane yet. Soon, though. I will let you know.
AJ
P.S. It is plans for a Fokker Dr.1
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 08, 2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2009, 02:30 PM
Joined Sep 2004
98 Posts
does anyone know if hobby king receiver works with the turbotrx and does the turbotrix come pre prigramed for a heli. thanks bob
oc500 is offline Find More Posts by oc500
Old Jan 05, 2009, 03:29 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc500
does anyone know if hobby king receiver works with the turbotrx and does the turbotrix come pre prigramed for a heli. thanks bob
I suspect they will work. I have 1 HK unit (and 1 on order) and 6 receivers (on order). The setup worked out great. I just ordered the Turborix and I will try it out and let everyone know. It would be very cool if the Turbrorix xmitter would work with the HK 6ch receivers. The HK receiver (6ch) is $12.74USD and the Turborix (from r2hobbies) is $16.52USD. I will let you know if the r2 unit comes programmed for a heli (I suspect it isn't). It also appears that the r2 unit has low/high rate too. I am going to be greedy and hope it has EPA as well.
AJ
Update: It does have EPA but I am not sure about expo.
P.S. I just flew the HK 2.4ghz on my SlowMoWatt. WOW!!! Range is "as far as I could see". All glitches and minor throttle stutters are GONE! I am probably going to convert all my planes to the Turborix/HK combo if it they are compatible. No more forgetting to extend the transmitter antenna or getting the plane antenna caught on everything. I am really impressed with 2.4ghz!!
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 05, 2009 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Update
Old Jan 05, 2009, 08:07 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Programming r2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc500
Take a look at this
AJ
Old Jan 07, 2009, 06:16 PM
Indianapolis, IN, USA
Joined Jun 2000
179 Posts
well waiting for mine to arrive.

Has anyone found ways to put in channel 5 & 6 yet?

Thanks,

ray
rayc is offline Find More Posts by rayc
Old Jan 07, 2009, 07:33 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
4ch HK and 6ch r2 - compatibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayc
well waiting for mine to arrive.

Has anyone found ways to put in channel 5 & 6 yet?

ray
See post #35. I have a Turborix on order and I am waiting for it. I hope to get it in 7 days or less. My plan is to use the Turborix transmitter (6ch) with the HK receivers (6ch), if they are compatible (thereby, I would have full use of ALL 6 channels). I will post the results as soon the Turborix system arrives. The down side of the Turborix is that you need a computer to program any changes. Meanwhile, I do not think there is any way to make the HK transmitter (4ch) operate all 6 channels of the receiver that comes with it.
AJ
Old Jan 07, 2009, 10:02 PM
Arizona
Joined Aug 2006
94 Posts
Charging the Hobby City 2.4 TX

Thanks for the postings regarding the Hobby King 2.4Ghz 4Ch Tx & Rx system.

It's been mentioned that the TX can be charged? Does it come with a charger? If not what connector , charger and voltage setting are you using?

Thanks a lot!

Desert Hawk
Desert Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Desert Hawk
Old Jan 08, 2009, 12:08 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
HK Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hawk
Thanks for the postings regarding the Hobby King 2.4Ghz 4Ch Tx & Rx system.

It's been mentioned that the TX can be charged? Does it come with a charger? If not what connector , charger and voltage setting are you using?
Thanks a lot!
Desert Hawk
You are welcome. The TX can be charged. No, it does not come with a charger. A typical futaba charger or another transmitter charger with + on the center post of the plug (and a 12vdc output) will work just fine (on nicd or nimh). Just go buy some "AA" NiMh batteries and use whatever charger you have (must be 2.5mm plug on charger [to work with HK & futaba] with center of plug +). Dont, worry about something going wrong. All the electronics are diode protected from the charger that you use if it is wrong. Also, you can use a peak charger. But, you will have to modify the electronics a little bit. It is simple, but you will need soldering skills and the necessary tools. Here are some pics.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 08, 2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2009, 01:59 AM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
You are welcome. The TX can be charged. No, it does not come with a charger. A typical futaba or JR charger will work just fine (on nicd or nimh). Just go buy some "AA" NiCd batteries and use whatever charger you have (must be 2.5mm plug on charger with center of plug +).
If it's positive to the center-pin then a JR charger most certainly *wont* work, they are negative to the center-pin!
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old Jan 08, 2009, 03:34 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJet
If it's positive to the center-pin then a JR charger most certainly *wont* work, they are negative to the center-pin!
Opps. I just checked out my JR. You are right. Sorry for the mistake. I corrected the post.
AJ
Old Jan 08, 2009, 04:39 PM
Marion
USA, NC, Hillsborough
Joined Oct 2003
1,014 Posts
The center pin on the charging jack on my HK transmitter is rather small, and my Futaba charging connector does not make contact

Marion
Marion is offline Find More Posts by Marion
Old Jan 08, 2009, 06:21 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion
The center pin on the charging jack on my HK transmitter is rather small, and my Futaba charging connector does not make contact

Marion
Yes. I noticed that early on. However, both my futaba plugs work great. The pin in the HK is 1.5mm. But, contact is not a problem on both my HK transmitters.
AJ
Old Jan 09, 2009, 12:08 AM
Arizona
Joined Aug 2006
94 Posts
Charging the HK 2.4 TX

To AJBaker and Others,

Many thanks for the HK TX charging information! That's just what I wanted to know.

Regards,

Desert Hawk
Desert Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Desert Hawk