SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2011, 09:54 AM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
John, once again thanks for the great advice!! Bonus points awarded!

I suppose its about time to finally upgrade to a new system. I have 2 of these TX's now so its hard to move to a new platform. I'm thinking of the V2 or this

http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddet...ps2805003_mode

any better options out there for the sub $100 range? I've also thought of a specktrum but I'm not so into mainstream stuff and overpriced rx's. My eventually goal is fpv / av.
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2011, 10:13 AM
wrong descision, wrong time
United States, WA, Maple Valley
Joined Sep 2010
513 Posts
Captain,
There seems to be just a handful of really inexpensive radio systems, which are then re-branded by several other companies. Luckily the rebranding is simply putting different stickers on the radio, everything else is the same. This somewhat limits your choice of sub $100 radios.

It looks like that radio from r2hobbies is the same as the turnigy 9x system sold by hobby king (and made by flysky). It also looks like its the V1 radio (non-frequency hopping). This radio was reviewed here:

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/imax9x.shtml

V2 was reviewed here:

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/turnigy9xv2review.shtml

The 2nd version looks like it uses the new flysky frequency hopping system. The cool thing about these 9 channel radios is that you can replace the firmware (not just program them like the 6 channel radios). There are a few opensource firmwares for these radios that add additional functionality and fix the many bugs in the factory firmware.

I was seriously looking at these 9 channel radios, but there were two things that dissuaded me. First, they were never in stock. Second, the receiver is very large, and I tend to fly smaller foamy airplanes (cause I'm cheap). The 6 channel flysky v2 works very well for me, and I've never had a frequency hit, even when flying around my house close to my internet wireless access point . Since my planes are small, the range check wasn't that far (only need to go as far as I can see the plane). I've been meaning to do a full range check (go out of sight and talk to a second party watching my plane), since I want to use this radio in a 40 sized nitro trainer.

-heath
dumb_thumbs is offline Find More Posts by dumb_thumbs
Old Feb 09, 2011, 10:26 AM
I don't speak German ....Yet !
Germany, Baden-Württemberg, Weissach im Tal
Joined Dec 2010
774 Posts
They are in stock here at leadershobby (both mode 1 and 2)

TBH I upgraded to this (waited for HK to have stock) and I ordered the mode 1 even thou I use mode 2 (because it lasted longer in stock levels) and changed it over, It was easy. I am sure you will not be disappointed with it.

Hope this helps

Groot
GrootWitBaas is offline Find More Posts by GrootWitBaas
Old Feb 09, 2011, 11:12 AM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb_thumbs View Post
...It also looks like its the V1 radio (non-frequency hopping)...
I don't think it's a V1 radio, as V1 RX's didn't have the sleeved type antenna and had a satellite receiver, so the R2hobbies' radio linked by captaingeek must be V2.
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Old Feb 09, 2011, 11:32 AM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Most likely, unless it is old stock, any 9X radio sold these days would be a V2. You can't always go by the pictures on the web site, because they might have a V1 picture, but you receive a V2 in the mail.

However, the rule of thumb is if the receiver has a satellite receiver, it is V1. No satellite and sleved dipole, V2.

Captain Geek, if you already have a 9X, then you have the option of replacing the FlySky TX module with a new FrSky TX module, and using FrSky's relatively cheap receivers. XJet (Bruce over at RC Model Reviews) flies with a 9X and FrSky, which is a true frequency hopping system, for all of his large nitro models.

If you have the CT-6A like I do, I'd take this opportunity to step up to a 9X with V2. The V1 and V2 RF systems are incompatible, so you'd either still fly your older models with the CT-6A radio, or you'd have to buy $9.00 V2 receivers to retrofit your fleet.
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Old Feb 09, 2011, 11:42 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Question, does the V2 have FailSafe?

Thank you.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Feb 09, 2011, 11:50 AM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post

Thank you.
No, it does not.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 02:38 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-111 John View Post
No, it does not.
thank you.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Feb 09, 2011, 03:58 PM
Joined Jul 2009
648 Posts
Quote:

Thank you.
The 3 channel receivers are said to have a failsafe. There is a small hole beneath the hole for the binding LED, that opens up for a switch.

As far as I recognized, it works for one channel only, probably throttle.

Reinhard
ReSt is offline Find More Posts by ReSt
Old Feb 09, 2011, 03:58 PM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Quote:
thank you.
The FrSky system does have failsafe, if that feature is important to you.

9X plus FrSky is still much cheaper than JR, Spektrum, or Futaba, and gets even cheaper with every receiver you have to buy.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 03:59 PM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSt View Post
The 3 channel receivers are said to have a failsafe. There is a small hole beneath the hole for the binding LED, that opens up for a switch.

As far as I recognized, it works for one channel only, probably throttle.

Reinhard
I was going to say that, but as you point out it really only does the throttle channel, and I wasn't clear if you could set it, or if it defaulted to 1/2 throttle which is brake for land vehicles with reverse.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 07:08 PM
France, Ile-de-France, Plaisir
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
Quote:
I was going to say that, but as you point out it really only does the throttle channel, and I wasn't clear if you could set it, or if it defaulted to 1/2 throttle which is brake for land vehicles with reverse.
You can set it, but it works only on channel 2.

To set it, position your stick at the fail-safe position, then push the little button (not very visible) and the receiver flashes when it's done. The fail-safe is activated approximately one second after the transmitter is switched off.

As already said, this little receiver works with the FlySky GT2 pistol, the 4ch, the 6ch and the TH9X.
jpparisy is offline Find More Posts by jpparisy
Old Feb 09, 2011, 08:44 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Anyone here running T6sim? I already have other alternative Sim boxes, but I wanted to get t6sim working out of curiosity. I have it installed as well as ppjoy. In t6sim, I can get it to recognize the CT6A tx and moving the sticks moves the little tabs, but in windows, nothing moves. Windows recognizes the joystick but nothing shows its moving.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Feb 11, 2011, 06:57 PM
United States, AK, McKinley Park
Joined Dec 2010
190 Posts
Quote:
+1. Chances are that you either broke the antenna lead where it solders to the circuit board, or you may have broken the antenna under the red heat shrink where it makes a folded dipole antenna.

Stripping a servo would not have adversely affected the receiver's range performance.
Sure enough...the reciever wire was frayed most of the way through right were it comes out of the case. Will it adversely affect things if it is 3 mm shorter? Looks like a delicate solder job, but doable.
MtnSnowFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MtnSnowFlyer
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:08 AM
I don't speak German ....Yet !
Germany, Baden-Württemberg, Weissach im Tal
Joined Dec 2010
774 Posts
It depends on the antenna type. Not sure myself on this RX as I don't have one. Is there a big heat-shrink on the end, if so then it should not make a change, if not then length is everything. soldering those cables is not easy.
GrootWitBaas is offline Find More Posts by GrootWitBaas