JR:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=923673

And now Spektrum:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005247
waqa is offline Find More Posts by waqa
Old Feb 25, 2009, 07:44 PM
Joined Dec 2008
23 Posts
I appreciate you all being longsuffering with me, on this janky radio I seem to have haha. It is disconcerting to see that the spektrum and especially the futabas are having some issues, I have always known futaba to be rock solid since the 80's but I admit that my experience with them has been with surface controllers and not air...Anyway both tests were successful Geo that you had me do. With the digital meter set to 20k ohms, the R5 registers 9.95. The continuity test between left pad sw1 and left of r5 did move the needle all the way over the scale as well...
86waterpumper is offline Find More Posts by 86waterpumper
Old Feb 25, 2009, 09:11 PM
Rouen (FRANCE)
Joined Nov 2003
69 Posts
Well 86waterpumper,

i'll make some other measure where the bug could be and tell you where to take these measure, do not be desperate .

Géo .
geotrouvetout is offline Find More Posts by geotrouvetout
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:56 PM
Joined Jan 2009
585 Posts
but ask youself... if the hobbycity one had the same problem as the spuktrum one would they post a recall?
drew1231 is offline Find More Posts by drew1231
Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:30 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew1231
but ask youself... if the hobbycity one had the same problem as the spuktrum one would they post a recall?
I don't expect they would recall them. But, for $30, if I had ANY problem with them, I would toss it out and order another one and have an extra receiver. To me, the extra receiver is worth the $30 (even though a receiver is just $15).
AJ
P.S. I ordered 2 systems just in case I ever have a problem. So far, no probs whatsoever and range "as far as you can see - and then some".
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:37 AM
Joined Jan 2009
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
I don't expect they would recall them. But, for $30, if I had ANY problem with them, I would toss it out and order another one and have an extra receiver. To me, the extra receiver is worth the $30 (even though a receiver is just $15).
AJ
P.S. I ordered 2 systems just in case I ever have a problem. So far, no probs whatsoever and range "as far as you can see - and then some".
but i screwed up my plane pretty bad and almost had to buy a $60 repair kit
drew1231 is offline Find More Posts by drew1231
Old Feb 26, 2009, 01:10 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew1231
but i screwed up my plane pretty bad and almost had to buy a $60 repair kit
Repairs and crashing are all part of the hobby. Any radio can do the same thing or some other failure causing a crash. Then, wait and wait for weeks/months for the factory (or whoever) to fix it. I prefer to just eat the crash and toss the transmitter or receiver. If I continued having problems, then, I would look for something else. And, of course, there is always the pilot errors. I suspect that most pilots have crashed 1000 times compared to a radio failure once. And how many pilot caused radio failures (servo or receiver comes unplugged, battery dead in transmitter, receivers poorly placed [2.4ghz], etc.) have happened? I think any "real" radio failures pale in comparison to the crashes caused by the pilot and get lost in the percentages to be almost insignificant. Funny though, how we human beings will always remember that once and forget the other 100's of crashes.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Feb 26, 2009 at 01:26 AM. Reason: typos
Old Feb 26, 2009, 07:59 AM
Joined Dec 2008
23 Posts
Thanks geo I am fine with it being a loss at this point, it is fun to test things and get more used to that kind of a thing. I can pick up another radio after awhile and like I say the tx working with the computer is a benefit even if it isn't worth the total cost. Ajbaker, you make alot of good points, I agree crashing is a part of the hobby for sure, and the tx/rx isn't always to blame. I guess one thing I can say about futaba is, when you buy a tx/rx combo set from them it comes pre binded already. So if hobbyking did this step I would have never been sent the faulty tx. I am skeptical to buy another tx, not even knowing if both my rx's do work properly. I am still debating on whether to get another hobby king radio or just get something else. I guess I will see what kind of deals I can get at the time I purchase.
86waterpumper is offline Find More Posts by 86waterpumper
Old Feb 26, 2009, 09:50 AM
Joined Feb 2009
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFl
Hi, com210

Remember congo was using the config program when he had this problem. It's possible he had a power glitch or brownout just when the TX was being programmed. The same glitch under "normal" usage probably wouldn't have had that effect (I hope...).
That's possible, but my PC's are solid server types with decent PSU's, clean OS's and no load. Plus the fact that I've been in the config for many hours and this only happened under the low volt Tx conditions on each occasion.
congo is offline Find More Posts by congo
Old Feb 26, 2009, 09:59 AM
Joined Feb 2009
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommywatson
I just received two new 6 channel receivers from R2hobbies......
Anyone had any RMA/Replacement issues with them? I'm not having much luck and they want me to spend more money to make things right :P
congo is offline Find More Posts by congo
Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:33 PM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by congo
That's possible, but my PC's are solid server types with decent PSU's, clean OS's and no load. Plus the fact that I've been in the config for many hours and this only happened under the low volt Tx conditions on each occasion.
I meant a power glitch or brownout on the TX, not in the PC, during programming, so this problem should'n mean there was risk of loosing your settings when in flight.

The settings are stored at the MCU's flash memory, so they should be safe in case of low voltage, but a different thing is if low voltage appears during a writting cycle.

You say "on each occasion". Have you had the same problem more than once?
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Last edited by MoFl; Feb 26, 2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:38 PM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86waterpumper
Thanks geo I am fine with it being a loss at this point, it is fun to test things and get more used to that kind of a thing.... I guess one thing I can say about futaba is, when you buy a tx/rx combo set from them it comes pre binded already. So if hobbyking did this step I would have never been sent the faulty tx...
In fact, my Turborix came pre-bound, and the instructions said this had to be the case, so maybe this is another clue to try to find out your problem.

I agree with you: Just playing with this TX, and figuring out alternative uses has been worth the cost for me. Something you would hardly do on more costly equipments, among another considerations, to avoid loosing the guarantee.
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Last edited by MoFl; Mar 22, 2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 03:06 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86waterpumper
Thanks geo I am fine with it being a loss at this point, it is fun to test things and get more used to that kind of a thing. I can pick up another radio after awhile and like I say the tx working with the computer is a benefit even if it isn't worth the total cost. Ajbaker, you make alot of good points, I agree crashing is a part of the hobby for sure, and the tx/rx isn't always to blame. I guess one thing I can say about futaba is, when you buy a tx/rx combo set from them it comes pre binded already. So if hobbyking did this step I would have never been sent the faulty tx. I am skeptical to buy another tx, not even knowing if both my rx's do work properly. I am still debating on whether to get another hobby king radio or just get something else. I guess I will see what kind of deals I can get at the time I purchase.
I can sure feel the frustration that is setting in. And, I agree. So, I have a deal for you. Send me one of your receivers (cost should be less than $1) and I will test it with my radios and make a brief movie for you if it works. Then, I will return it to you (at my cost). I really empathize with you and I would like to help. So, PM me and I will give you an address. I am sure that you realize that I don't just cruise the net forums looking to steal $15 receivers.
AJ
Old Feb 26, 2009, 03:08 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Binding

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFl
In fact, my Turborix came pre-binded, and the instructions said this had to be the case, so maybe this is another clue to try to find out your problem.
I have 2 HK and 1-r2 radios and they both came prebound. I agree, this may be another clue.
AJ