HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2009, 03:17 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommywatson
I just received two new 6 channel receivers from R2hobbies. Both bound OK first time. I have a 3S lipo in my TX,

Regards

Tom Watson

Sydney Australia
If you need some more in the future, they are cheaper here even with shipping.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2009, 04:20 AM
Joined Feb 2009
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by com210
Congo, did you get to try the transmitter when you lost the settings? I mean did it default back to something or was it completely dead? Sounds scaringly similar to what happened to my tranny.
It just defaulted back to something. I'm not freaking out about it, it hasn't happened at a higher voltage, just when I try to use a 2 cell lipo pack.

I just think it would be nice if it was stable at 7.5v, it would relieve that regulator in hot conditions. I know how hot it gets where you live com210, people's PC's catch fire out there!
congo is offline Find More Posts by congo
Last edited by congo; Feb 24, 2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 05:38 AM
Bouvard Western Australia
Joined Feb 2009
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by congo
It just defaulted back to something. I'm not freaking out about it, it hasn't happened at a higher voltage, just when I try to use a 2 cell lipo pack.

I just think it would be nice if it was stable at 7.5v, it would relieve that regulator in hot conditions. I know how hot it gets where you live com210, people's PC's catch fire out there!
7.5V is cutting it a bit too fine for my likings. The specs for that reg specify a minimum input voltage of 2V higher than the rated output voltage. I have found some of these regs start doing strange things when run at or near their minimums. Also depends on temp. For me I wouldnt get any closer than 3V. I like a nice fat margin.
com210 is offline Find More Posts by com210
Old Feb 24, 2009, 07:47 AM
Joined Dec 2008
23 Posts
thanks for the tip ajbaker! What is funny is that I was already going to harbor freight today to pick up something for my dad. I had no idea these were that cheap there. I will pick one up for sure. No arguing here, digital is tons better haha. Now to test the ohm resistance on the R5, do I just touch each contact to either side of it I guess?
86waterpumper is offline Find More Posts by 86waterpumper
Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:41 AM
Joined Sep 2006
16 Posts
Sorry to post such an elementary question to you gurus here but here it goes:

Is there a way to use channel 5 and 6 as switches?

Thanks for your time...
mikesf is offline Find More Posts by mikesf
Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:53 AM
have foam, will fly
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesf

Thanks for your time...

I think you can mix one of the variable knobs to a switch using the mix function with source = var a/b, destination = a channel, and switch set to one of the switches.
waqa is offline Find More Posts by waqa
Old Feb 24, 2009, 09:11 AM
AMA 951 since 1958
USA, FL, Newberry
Joined Nov 2000
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie
OK, so it charges NiMh's alright but would the voltage of 9.6V from NiMh be insufficient if it was meant to use dry cells i.e. 8x1.5 = 12V??

It range checks OK, which makes me think 9.6V may be OK.

Range check is done same way as Spektrum, just hold down the bind button while doing the test.

Still haven't flown yet. Maybe today!

Kev
Re: TurBORIX (uses same RF module as Hobby King system)
While dry cells (Alkaline AA) have a beginning voltage of 1.5 volts, under any kind of a load for a short period of time they drop to 1.2 volts. At 1.2 volts you will have used about 30% of the capacity (Radio draws about 180 mA - giving you approximately 25 hours flying time on Alkaline AA cells).

As for range test button. It doesn't seem to do anything as confirmed by tests looking at the radiated power. I wanted to make sure and found that nothing happened at 250 feet, whether the range check button was pushed or not. Wrapping your hand around the antenna did make a difference at this distance, all control was lost. I guess you could use this as a range check.

Flight test have shown no problems with range even if there is no range check function. Hard way to find out if you do have a range problem.
Red Scholefield is offline Find More Posts by Red Scholefield
Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:43 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Ohm Meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86waterpumper
thanks for the tip ajbaker! What is funny is that I was already going to harbor freight today to pick up something for my dad. I had no idea these were that cheap there. I will pick one up for sure. No arguing here, digital is tons better haha. Now to test the ohm resistance on the R5, do I just touch each contact to either side of it I guess?
Yes. Turn on the meter. Turn the dial to 200 (at exactly the 6 o'clock position) and measure the resistance (0-200 ohms). The other settings on the meter are obvious - 2000=0-2000 ohms, 20k=0-20000 ohms,etc.
AJ
Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:51 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesf

Thanks for your time...
You are referring to a Turborix? Right?
AJ
Old Feb 24, 2009, 11:24 AM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by com210
Congo, did you get to try the transmitter when you lost the settings? I mean did it default back to something or was it completely dead? Sounds scaringly similar to what happened to my tranny.
Hi, com210

Remember congo was using the config program when he had this problem. It's possible he had a power glitch or brownout just when the TX was being programmed. The same glitch under "normal" usage probably wouldn't have had that effect (I hope...).
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Old Feb 24, 2009, 11:35 AM
Rouen (FRANCE)
Joined Nov 2003
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86waterpumper
Now to test the ohm resistance on the R5, do I just touch each contact to either side of it I guess?
you are right, and like ajbaker said turn the dial to 20K (because R5 is around 10K) but there is no risk if you turn it to other value 20, 200 etc... but you couldn' t read the resistor value, do the test with radio power OFF.

Géo .
geotrouvetout is offline Find More Posts by geotrouvetout
Old Feb 25, 2009, 12:32 AM
Joined Jan 2009
27 Posts
Did anybody experiment with the 5th (missing) switch on a 4-channel system?
alexsosnovski is offline Find More Posts by alexsosnovski
Old Feb 25, 2009, 02:15 AM
Bouvard Western Australia
Joined Feb 2009
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFl
Hi, com210

Remember congo was using the config program when he had this problem. It's possible he had a power glitch or brownout just when the TX was being programmed. The same glitch under "normal" usage probably wouldn't have had that effect (I hope...).
Hi MoFl, the reason why I asked is because mine lost all its config settings while taxing out one day resulting in no action from the transmitter but would bind OK. I had to reconfigure it with T6 before it would work again. It was a 40c + day so I put it down to overheating. By the way I flew it in the rain today (rain?? whats that) with no probs at all.
com210 is offline Find More Posts by com210
Last edited by com210; Feb 25, 2009 at 05:56 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 06:22 AM
Joined Sep 2006
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
You are referring to a Turborix? Right?
AJ
Yes indeed...
mikesf is offline Find More Posts by mikesf
Old Feb 25, 2009, 09:17 AM
Joined Dec 2008
23 Posts
thanks for the tips! Since it is into the work week the going will be much slower for me but I did get the tester, so will try and test tonight. By the way, just a tip, harbor freight had this thing marked 4 bucks in the store, but since I had the 2.50 price printout with me they matched it! I bought 3 of them at that price. I don't see how you could go wrong. I even read on another website where some guy did a test, and took one of these things and a fluke and he said at 20 or 30 degrees the harbor freight tester worked and the fluke didn't but I"m sure a fluke is nicer in alot of other ways has more setting etc..
86waterpumper is offline Find More Posts by 86waterpumper