HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2010, 07:05 AM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSt View Post

May be I can find a solution that is even a little bit better, but the problem is, that I have to make two timecritical timing measurements, that overlap each other and are asynchronous. So there are timing situations, where two different interrupts have to be handled at the same time. And that produces a little timing error for one of them, finally producing the jitter for the servo.

Reinhard
Does it have to be all in one PIC? Perhaps two small 12F's to split up the processing power?
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2010, 07:29 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Reinhard:
I am impressed!
I am especially impressed that you have analyzed the interrupt hold off time to know that you have possible contention between the two interrupts.
Humm.. or maybe it wasn't analysis, maybe it was some kind of measurement you made while the system was running - if so what tools do you use to do it?

Maybe Telemachus is on to something - maybe parallel processing is needed.

Thanks for your zeal

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Mar 08, 2010, 07:50 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,389 Posts
Antenna questions

I recently arrived at the field with my newly converted Hitec Flash transmitter fitted with a Corona DIY module. I had been fiddling with the final position of the parts, so had forgotten to screw the antenna back on, and left it at home on the bench

I decided to range check anyway, and went 140 yards no problem. Decided to fly and keep plane (Rascal C) within 100yd radius. No problem made 3 flights like that.

So question:

I was informed on the Corona thread that operation without the supplied antenna might overheat the module. Any thoughts?

Made me wonder if you might also have an issue with the Flysky type transmitter using add-on antenna?

Thanks!
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Mar 08, 2010, 08:15 AM
Joined Jul 2009
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
Does it have to be all in one PIC? Perhaps two small 12F's to split up the processing power?
That would probably solve that problem.

But two processors had to share a unique memory. So you would need at least three ICs and a much better board layout.

With one IC you need nearly nothing around the chip. A voltage divider with two resistors to adapt the output level. Thats all. And very easy.

To realize a two processor system will need some more experience than I have.

Reinhard
ReSt is offline Find More Posts by ReSt
Old Mar 08, 2010, 08:15 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
I don't have that radio, but I have had some experience with heating without the antenna connected.
It does heat up.
I believe the theory is about impedance matching.
When you try to move power from a source to a destination, the internal impedance of the source must match the impedance of the destination to get maximum power transfer. The side effect is that half of the unwanted heating occurs in the source and half in the destination. In our situation that is the way to propagate the most energy out of the antenna. If you remove the antenna you create a BIG impedance missmatch.
So ALL of the energy is dissipated as heat in the source. If the Tx is not designed to dissipate (maybe with a heat sink) twice as much energy as normal you get smoke
If it has been conservatively designed you just get heat with no bad effect.
I wouldn't plan on good design in an industry that is governed by competing for the lowest price. Probably an old Halicrafter shortwave Tx could be expected to make the grade, but not a hobby Tx, eh?
So, keep your range test short.

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Mar 08, 2010, 08:34 AM
Joined Jul 2009
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbite View Post
Reinhard:
I am impressed!
I am especially impressed that you have analyzed the interrupt hold off time to know that you have possible contention between the two interrupts.
Humm.. or maybe it wasn't analysis, maybe it was some kind of measurement you made while the system was running - if so what tools do you use to do it?
Walt
My tools are limited to mostly really old equipement.
An analog storage scope (100 Mhz) and a really old, but nevertheless useful 'digital scope' (a Biomation).

I was trying to get this expo running for several weeks (or was it months?).

Watching the input and the output signal chain and trying this and that, showed the impact of the two asynchronously running tasks. Some failures in the output stream, only happening from time to time, showed me that, while handling one interrupt (level change on input signal), another interrupt occured (end of a channel output signal).

In the moment, I start outputting channel pulses as soon as I have measured two full input pulses. So, from there on, input and output pulses overlap.
I did this to add as little as possible additional delay to the channel signals.

You also can't wait till all input channel pulses have been measured, because the remaining time till the next input channels arrive is shorter than 8 output channel pulses with maximum width.

You will need a certain amount of overlap in any case.

Starting the output chain later may reduce the effect of jittering.

May be, some time, I will find a better solution (but personally, I really don't need it )

Reinhard
ReSt is offline Find More Posts by ReSt
Old Mar 08, 2010, 09:34 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,389 Posts
Walt, thanks. My flights were about 2-3 min each. Just amazing that it worked!
Old Mar 09, 2010, 05:42 AM
United States, VT, Royalton
Joined Jan 2010
37 Posts
Old question.. new asker

Hey guys,

First off, let me say THANK YOU for all your hard work regarding this radio and receiver. It never ceases to amaze me how creative and resourceful hobbyists can be. You guys ROCK!

Ok, now to my question. I have purchased the t6 radio (the fly-sky branded flavor). I have done weeks of research online with regard to using it for a sim. All with no joy. I am specifically trying to use it with Phoenix as well / alternatively with AeroFly.

I have purchased the "Runtime Games Phoenix Mini-Din (Esky) Adapter" which is rumored to work. I also have SmartPropoPlus, PPJoy, as well as an interface specifically made for it... T6Sim. NOTHING seems to want to work for me.

The radio works just fine with T6Config. So I know its not a hardware issue. However, admittedly, I am REAL stupid when it comes to port emulation and all that jazz. So, I COULD be doing something wrong.

At this point, my mind is totally and udderely burnt out on the process. Not to mention, I have burned through 4 sets of alkaline batteries in the process of setting this up (my rechargeables will be here by the end of the week... thank god!!).

Any ideas, advice, death threats for asking the same question as 10000 other people?

Thanks,
~Erik
erikdravn is offline Find More Posts by erikdravn
Old Mar 09, 2010, 07:32 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,389 Posts
I got it all from here. Good Luck!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1026
Old Mar 09, 2010, 03:49 PM
five by five
Panama City Bch, FL
Joined Jan 2009
2,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
I recently arrived at the field with my newly converted Hitec Flash transmitter fitted with a Corona DIY module. I had been fiddling with the final position of the parts, so had forgotten to screw the antenna back on, and left it at home on the bench

I decided to range check anyway, and went 140 yards no problem. Decided to fly and keep plane (Rascal C) within 100yd radius. No problem made 3 flights like that.

So question:

I was informed on the Corona thread that operation without the supplied antenna might overheat the module. Any thoughts?

Made me wonder if you might also have an issue with the Flysky type transmitter using add-on antenna?

Thanks!
i wouldn't recommend flying without an antenna. even though it passes a range check, the radiation pattern is likely wacky and the transmitter may or may not be ok without a load.

31mm or 62mm of wire attached to center pin will work in a pinch.
-sj
sonicj is offline Find More Posts by sonicj
Old Mar 10, 2010, 06:46 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
i wouldn't recommend flying without an antenna. even though it passes a range check, the radiation pattern is likely wacky and the transmitter may or may not be ok without a load.

31mm or 62mm of wire attached to center pin will work in a pinch.
-sj
Thanks - I was so impressed by the range without antenna I couldn't hold myself back! Definitely not recommended!!
Old Mar 13, 2010, 08:39 PM
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
120 Posts
Ive recently upgraded to Windows 7 and have tried to install the driver and t6config.exe software. It all seems to work and I choose Com4 and the green bars that show your throws seem to move to the initial settings of the radio. But when I move the sticks nothing happens in the software and T6config locks up and I have to kill it. Any ideas what I can do to fix this? Sometimes the different settings windows will eventually show after 30 seconds or so of being clicked but I certainly cant see my stick movements within the software.
Truman40 is offline Find More Posts by Truman40
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:16 AM
mid-michigan
Joined Jan 2009
183 Posts
Help please,

I have an "Exceed RC 6 channel (FS CT6A) 2.4ghz" transmitter, a receiver and the "T6 config" software. I'm also trying to control a 450 sized TREX clone (a copterx)...

the T6 config software is working on my computer just fine but I'm looking to gain a better understand at all of the settings in the software to set this 450 up for the first time. Or....I don't know what all the settings are for in this software and what they actually do / are for.

I've gone through this thread trying to find some basics but this apppears to be very technical.....

Can anyone give me a URL of some place I can go to learn how to set up the T6 software for the radio and heli I have? For example, I don't know what the following means: Dual Rates, subtrims, throttle curves, pitch curves, swash afr, ETC....so this is the level of help I'm looking for.

Thanks
Greg
glhelinski is offline Find More Posts by glhelinski
Last edited by glhelinski; Mar 14, 2010 at 11:22 AM. Reason: clarifying my question
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:02 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,389 Posts
Try the series of videos at MikeysRC. There are a lot of them, this is #14

Cheapest Trex 450 helicopter clone HH gyro setup 14 (9 min 49 sec)
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:12 PM
mid-michigan
Joined Jan 2009
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Try the series of videos at MikeysRC. There are a lot of them, this is #14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO3rx...XW4&playnext=1
at first glance at those, that looks perfect...thanks!

these videos are VERY good for a first time kit builder. the puppet thing is a little different but very good info...thanks very much!!
glhelinski is offline Find More Posts by glhelinski
Last edited by glhelinski; Mar 17, 2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: after watching videos