HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:13 AM
Menifee CA 92586
Joined Oct 2009
38 Posts
Tug boat

Yes the Tug is a boat.yes I will be buying a marine ESC that is capable of running a brushed 12v motor. The question I was trying to ask was "are there special ESCs for digital Rx? On thinking about the question I suppose not, because all the Rx does is to send a signal to the receiver which then distributes that information to other systems. It does not speak directly to the servos or motors. I guess I have answered my own question. If I am wrong please tell me. Regards Martin Cross
martin cross is offline Find More Posts by martin cross
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:06 AM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSt View Post
I got ready a PIC, that converts the normal PPM output stream of the trainer port to an exponential data stream.

For my test, I'm using the PPM signal of the trainerport of a Turborix 6 channel radio and feed a PIC 12F675.
This is a great idea: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2964

Although REST is showing this functioning through the trainer port to an external transmitter module, this should also work well putting a decoder microcontroller internally, in line between the radio PMM signal and the 2.4Ghz transmitter module (used to be the yellow wire from controller main board to radio as in this post here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2704621).

By installing the 3 way switch in the radio, you could turn expo on (with two different settings) and off.

Also, would be a good idea to install a 5 pin header in the battery compartment or back of the radio to be used for In-Circuit Serial Programming of the PIC to change the expo as desired.

Another great idea, ReSt!
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Old Feb 16, 2010, 06:48 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSt View Post
Analog receivers probably have a signal like this, that they feed into the decoder, but digital receivers like the 2.4 Ghz radios probably not.

Reinhard
Thanks, Reinhard.
That is a new piece if info for me - it just didn't occur to me that those Rxs had digital output.
Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:25 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin cross View Post
Yes the Tug is a boat.yes I will be buying a marine ESC that is capable of running a brushed 12v motor. The question I was trying to ask was "are there special ESCs for digital Rx? On thinking about the question I suppose not, because all the Rx does is to send a signal to the receiver which then distributes that information to other systems. It does not speak directly to the servos or motors. I guess I have answered my own question. If I am wrong please tell me. Regards Martin Cross
No problem with brushed motors, just need a power source for the receiver, BEC either built in the ESC, or external. Usually either 4.8 or 6v
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:57 AM
Joined Jul 2009
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbite View Post
Thanks, Reinhard.
That is a new piece if info for me - it just didn't occur to me that those Rxs had digital output.
Walt
Just not to have a misunderstanding:

The digital receiver receives and supplies digital data, that the decoder has to convert to the single channel pulses. One pulse for every single channel.

There is probably no single signal chain, that contains the pulses of all channels. No pin where you can see the chain of six or eight channel pulses.

But six or eight pins with the pulses of one single channel each.

Reinhard
ReSt is offline Find More Posts by ReSt
Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:03 AM
Joined Jul 2009
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
This is a great idea: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2964

Although REST is showing this functioning through the trainer port to an external transmitter module, this should also work well putting a decoder microcontroller internally, in line between the radio PMM signal and the 2.4Ghz transmitter module ....

By installing the 3 way switch in the radio, you could turn expo on (with two different settings) and off.

Also, would be a good idea to install a 5 pin header in the battery compartment or back of the radio to be used for In-Circuit Serial Programming of the PIC to change the expo as desired.

Another great idea, ReSt!
Thanks

I did this setup just because I didn't want to kill my radio before I knew, that it would work.

And I'm just now installing it in my Turborix TX.

And for safety reasons, I add a switch where I can switch between the original signal and the modified one. (should ever go something wrong, I have the backup at my finger tips )

Reinhard
ReSt is offline Find More Posts by ReSt
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:09 AM
Aircraft re-kitter
15NM from CYYZ on 06L
Joined Feb 2007
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin cross View Post
They all need to work with a fairly standard servo PWM signal.
ergocentric is offline Find More Posts by ergocentric
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:42 PM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guntherv View Post
If it has already been mentioned, then sorry, just came across some russian people who made a pic based programmer for this Tx, might be interesting for some people:
http://forum.modelka.com.ua/index.php?showtopic=20055
Google translation to english link
I have tried to clean-up the translation of the thread to an easier-to-read format. (There are a couple of paragraphs I could not make complete sense of, so I left them as is - if anybody does understand them, let us know - they don't appear to be essential anyway?)
This is a simple programmer device for the 6-channel Flysky transmitter to carry 8 model memories to the field, with provision to alter reverse, endpoints, subtrim and dual-rates, without need for a laptop or PDA/Palm.
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; Feb 16, 2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 03:53 PM
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Jun 2005
47 Posts
Schematic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP_blackfoot View Post
I have tried to clean-up the translation of the thread to an easier-to-read format. (There are a couple of paragraphs I could not make complete sense of, so I left them as is - if anybody does understand them, let us know - they don't appear to be essential anyway?)
This is a simple programmer device for the 6-channel Flysky transmitter to carry 8 model memories to the field, with provision to alter reverse, endpoints, subtrim and dual-rates, without need for a laptop or PDA/Palm.

Is there a schematic of the device?
Is there a source code of the hex file?
I am more familiar with AVR than PIC.
datalex is offline Find More Posts by datalex
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:19 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datalex View Post
Is there a schematic of the device?
Is there a source code of the hex file?
I am more familiar with AVR than PIC.
Schematic (t6a_877_full_ok.EMF) is in archive ht_6a_commander.rar
No source code I could see.
PIC device is 16F887
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; Feb 16, 2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:38 PM
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Jun 2005
47 Posts
Many thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP_blackfoot View Post
Schematic (t6a_877_full_ok.EMF) is in archive ht_6a_commander.rar
No source code I could see.
PIC device is 16F887
I will see what I can do with my AVR Butterfly.
datalex is offline Find More Posts by datalex
Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:46 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,062 Posts
I think it is save to assume that the LCD display will display something that I can't read
Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:30 PM
Aircraft re-kitter
15NM from CYYZ on 06L
Joined Feb 2007
632 Posts
Not exactly open source either.

I only seem to be able to open the .emf image with windoze picture and fax viewer (zero editing) and the code is a .hex file, no source code

I'll see if there is a hex to asm (disassembler) for pic somewhere, that would be a start.

Tried two disassemblers, they both died in XP, god I hate windoze.
ergocentric is offline Find More Posts by ergocentric
Last edited by ergocentric; Feb 16, 2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:59 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergocentric View Post
...I only seem to be able to open the .emf image with windoze picture and fax viewer (zero editing) and the code is a .hex file, no source code
The picture can be opened in Open Office Draw and exported in pdf format. Then with Gimp (Photoshop for Windoze users), it is no problem editing it.
Quote:
I'll see if there is a hex to asm (disassembler) for pic somewhere, that would be a start.
Open MPLab IDE, goto "configure", "select device", "16F887",
then "File", "import" find and select the hex file.
Now goto "View", click on "Program memory"
The disassembled hex will be displayed.
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; Feb 16, 2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 09:23 PM
Menifee CA 92586
Joined Oct 2009
38 Posts
Tuborix

I can see a lot of frustration coming my way. If I get to the hair taring stage I will be emailing you gentlemen. Remember when I do that this is going to go in a tug boat. Regards Martin Cross
martin cross is offline Find More Posts by martin cross