Old Feb 23, 2009, 01:10 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Range Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by congo
I then fitted a 3s 11.1v lipo to the Tx, got a green light, loaded my saved config back in and everything was back to normal. I then range tested and flew my heli. Range test was done to 250 meters. While out there, I depressed the range test button and the model remained un full control with no signs of glitching, making me think the range test button does not function, unless I did not perform the function correctly.

Just thought I'd report that observation. It could be nasty in-flight.
I did pretty much the same thing with quite a bit longer test distance. I hooked up an FPV and ET systems to my 8' Telemaster and flew it 1.1 mi away to a small airstrip. At 2500' up (barely a dot) I tried the range test because I had the FPV (different frequency and batt) in case something went terribly wrong. Well, no change. Continuing my flight on FPV I landed at the airstrip (I was in constant communication via cell phone with a friend that helped me not get lost). I landed fairly well at the airport. Then, with my friend talking to me, I tried the range check button and all still worked perfectly. Not wanting to push my luck, I had my friend disconnect the battery and return it to me. It was scary fun. Afterwards, I thought about all the things that could go wrong and I will not do it again. So, I think it is safe to say that the range (as stated by many) is "As far as you can see". I would just add "and then some" to that.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2009, 08:59 AM
Joined Dec 2008
23 Posts
Ok I'm going to show my ignorance here...I'm fine on the continuity test, but how do you check for ohms? I'm not sure my crappy meter will do it but maybe so and I just don't know what to set it on etc..
86waterpumper is offline Find More Posts by 86waterpumper
Old Feb 23, 2009, 09:09 AM
Rouen (FRANCE)
Joined Nov 2003
69 Posts
Hi 86waterpumper,

do you have a reference or model of your "crappy" meter or a picture (Google picture), the scale for Ohm is green, instead of red for current and black for volt, and for the scale it depend if X10, X1 or Ohm, kOhm or MOhm.

Géo .
geotrouvetout is offline Find More Posts by geotrouvetout
Old Feb 23, 2009, 09:26 AM
Say when.....
United States, MO, Hillsboro
Joined Sep 2005
1,389 Posts
I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but I just noticed this announcement in the latest email that I got from HC...

NEW 2.4GHZ 9CH FSSS/FHSS ARRIVING
Finally our new 2.4Ghz FHSS/FSSS radio has finished production and will soon be available for sale.
Retail price will be set to around $79.95 with receivers costing about $24.95USD each.

A 9 channel for this price point might be worth a look. I guess it will depend upon mixing capabilities and features.

--quigley
quigley257 is offline Find More Posts by quigley257
Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:58 AM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
Hopefully the 9 channel TX will work with the 6ch receivers.
BlueFFF is offline Find More Posts by BlueFFF
Old Feb 23, 2009, 11:10 AM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
From what i saw in HK forums, must be this one:
http://www.flysky-cn.com/english/pro...sp?prodid=0017

In this case, same OEM as the two models treated in this thread. Also (looking at the pictures), same as iMax 9X 2.4Ghz system:
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/imax9x.shtml

Considering this review, and as Xjet says in post#224:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=224

This radio is compatible with our 6ch RXs (turborix/HK).

BTW, in this case, I'm afraid it's not FSSS/FHSS as, from what I've read, this is NOT the case for Turborix/HK.

This week I'm going to try to take the TX to a HF lab at my office, and see how it shows in an spectrometer...
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:45 PM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by congo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFl
Hello, Hans.

I agree with you. No problem to run with 8xNiMh. The regulators would work OK down to 7 V (input).
Ok, using a Turborix 6ch Tx, I fitted the Tx with a new Esky Lama 2s 7.4v 900mha flight lipo, fully charged, to approx 8v, and within minutes of working with T6config (the configuration utility), The config screen glitched and I lost all my Tx settings! The Tx power light was glowing red from the start of course. Right now, that same battery is showing 8 volts on my multimeter.

I then fitted a 3s 11.1v lipo to the Tx, got a green light, loaded my saved config back in and everything was back to normal. I then range tested and flew my heli. Range test was done to 250 meters. While out there, I depressed the range test button and the model remained un full control with no signs of glitching, making me think the range test button does not function, unless I did not perform the function correctly.

Just thought I'd report that observation. It could be nasty in-flight.
Ok, maybe 7V it's a bit near limits, but at 8V you shouldn't have problems. Did you measure the voltage under load, or after disconnecting it or switching off the TX?

Although the TX only drains 180 mA, deppending on the battery, there might be a significant difference between no load and under load voltages.

Anyway, I wouldn't use a 2S LiPo on this TX (too close to 7 V), but I think 8 NiMh is perfectly OK.
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Old Feb 23, 2009, 04:20 PM
Joined Dec 2008
23 Posts
No geo no pic of my meter New sd card is ordered and on the way lol. Anyway yes it has a green section with a circular horseshoe type symbol, this is what I have been using also to check the continuity tests, on xk setting, it has one other setting which is x10 so which would I use for this particular test? Thanks.
86waterpumper is offline Find More Posts by 86waterpumper
Old Feb 23, 2009, 05:23 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Meter

86waterpumper -
Please, please go buy one (or two) of these . It will make your troubleshooting a lot easier, I promise.
AJ
P.S. It even comes with batteries (well, mine did). I have 3 of them because I keep misplacing them.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Feb 23, 2009, 05:28 PM
I enjoy the voices
Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
From what i saw in HK forums, must be this one:
http://www.flysky-cn.com/english/pro...sp?prodid=0017

In this case, same OEM as the two models treated in this thread. Also (looking at the pictures), same as iMax 9X 2.4Ghz system:
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/imax9x.shtml

Considering this review, and as Xjet says in post#224:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=224

This radio is compatible with our 6ch RXs (turborix/HK).

BTW, in this case, I'm afraid it's not FSSS/FHSS as, from what I've read, this is NOT the case for Turborix/HK.

This week I'm going to try to take the TX to a HF lab at my office, and see how it shows in an spectrometer...
Interesting that they say Rx's will be $25 if the 6 channel ones can work and are only $13
Lead Wings is offline Find More Posts by Lead Wings
Old Feb 23, 2009, 05:31 PM
Rouen (FRANCE)
Joined Nov 2003
69 Posts
86waterpumper ,

can you describe the scale (the omega one , like a circular horseshoes), Xk is Thousand times and X10 is 10 times what you are reading on the scale, for the continity you have to use the lower one X10 in your case or less if you have one like X1.

the scale (logarithmic) should be like one of these 2 on the picture

Géo
geotrouvetout is offline Find More Posts by geotrouvetout
Old Feb 23, 2009, 06:38 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
If the new 9ch TX is the same as the imax then it's possible they may be planning to offer FSSS and FHSS modules and not the GFSK system there $30 TX uses. I hope this will not be the case. I also hope other brands of modules will fit into the new TX. It would really make this a popular 9ch system and put pressure on the other brands to lower there prices.
BlueFFF is offline Find More Posts by BlueFFF
Old Feb 23, 2009, 08:01 PM
Joined Feb 2009
45 Posts
Quote:
Ok, maybe 7V it's a bit near limits, but at 8V you shouldn't have problems. Did you measure the voltage under load, or after disconnecting it or switching off the TX?

Although the TX only drains 180 mA, deppending on the battery, there might be a significant difference between no load and under load voltages.

Anyway, I wouldn't use a 2S LiPo on this TX (too close to 7 V), but I think 8 NiMh is perfectly OK.
I ran the test again, measured the static voltage of the lipo as 8v, and there was no noticeable vdrop under Tx load, measured on the Tx case battery terminals which are still connected. (my multimeter is a good old analog one, so I don't have digital accuracy)

When I started the T6config and switched on the Tx, I had lost my settings. but was able to reload them after two attempts.

I began the test again from scratch, this time it was reliable and showed my correct settings at bootup. Repeated twice, same reliable result.

Ended test after nearly two hours, load voltage was then 7.5v, no further problems.

I am a tad confused about the initial glitch at power up for this test sequence. I could not reproduce it. Remember, my Tx has a damaged Rf choke in the trainer module, so, I'm paranoid.
congo is offline Find More Posts by congo
Last edited by congo; Feb 23, 2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 02:55 AM
Bouvard Western Australia
Joined Feb 2009
41 Posts
Congo, did you get to try the transmitter when you lost the settings? I mean did it default back to something or was it completely dead? Sounds scaringly similar to what happened to my tranny.
com210 is offline Find More Posts by com210
Old Feb 24, 2009, 02:58 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Sep 2003
48 Posts
Binding

I just received two new 6 channel receivers from R2hobbies. Both bound OK first time. I have a 3S lipo in my TX,

Regards

Tom Watson

Sydney Australia
tommywatson is offline Find More Posts by tommywatson