HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2008, 03:35 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,216 Posts
Hobbycity postage a bit steep

Weight quoted on their website is 989gram, but is really only 670gram incl. packing. Postage was US$22 - very steep. Admittedly it was express, but no choice and I didn't need express.

It is just a loading on the price. I just don't like that way of doing business.

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2008, 08:05 AM
Suspended Account
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Dec 2000
4,072 Posts
That seems to be a trend in "modern" marketing....... sell the item for a very, very low price and add on a huge S&H fee.

There was an iten sold on TV, I believe it was some sort of "tiller" atachment that you used with a power drill, any way the item was $19.95........ but when you got your CC bill there was an additional $125.00 for S&H.

Even eBay is cracking down on high shipping costs, but in any case "buyer beware".
bradpaul is offline Find More Posts by bradpaul
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 17, 2008, 01:23 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie
Weight quoted on their website is 989gram, but is really only 670gram incl. packing. Postage was US$22 - very steep. Admittedly it was express, but no choice and I didn't need express.

It is just a loading on the price. I just don't like that way of doing business.

Kev
Recently places in the Far East have been forced to jack their rates since weight alone is no longer the criterion for shipping charges. The post offices force them to use volumetric weight to calculate the shiping weight. Any way, I'm just sayin'... Too bad about not having a choice though? What's up with vendors that force you to use their fast/slow/expensive/cheap shipping?
IPFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IPFlyer
Old Dec 17, 2008, 06:16 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,567 Posts
Quote:

Kev
I think you will find that that is pretty much the actual EMS cost to ship it to you from hong Kong to Oz. I do not see any price loading in this case.

Like the other poster said, actual weight means little....it is package volume that drives things these days.

I order from HC from time to time and am amazed at how fast it gets here to me in Texas.

My last order for a bunch of lipos and some servos and other parts cost me about 10% of the order for EMS service. I ordered on a Thursday evening, it shipped on Friday and arrived from half way around the world on Monday.

Incredible.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Dec 25, 2008, 10:04 AM
Joined Sep 2008
112 Posts
2.4 6ch PC programmable

Quote:
HK T4A - only $29 for a complete system!!

See http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8338

Oh so cheap, BUT it has twin receivers! This is almost unheard of in the lower priced systems.

I believe twin Rx to be very important. Why? Firstly I worked in the video industry for 21 years and it is common knowledge there that twin Rx is far more reliable in getting the signal through. If one Rx can't receive the other will.

Secondly I have owned a Spektum 7 (twin Rx ) now for 12 months and not a single problem.

I've ordered a HK T4A to have as a backup system.

I'll have it in a few days & will let you know how she goes.

Kev
Qantas

Like Qantas-never crashed-I wish!

The HK T4A is probably from the same supplier as this one that sells for $42.49:

http://r2hobbies.com/proddetail.php?...cps61206_61411

Haven't been able to fly mine yet as winter here but bench testing and range testing looks good. The TX inside and out looks to be every bit as good workmanship wise as my Futaba 2.4, which by the way cost me a plane and had to be serviced as it would come unbound right on the bench!

Here's the same radio sold with a heli:

http://www.centuryheli.com/support/m...?currentid=566

Gary
abbydawn is offline Find More Posts by abbydawn
Old Dec 25, 2008, 04:02 PM
Marion
USA, NC, Hillsborough
Joined Oct 2003
1,020 Posts
Ordered 14 December got 22 December - My Impression so Far

Actually I got it on the 23 because I was not here to accept it from the postman on the 22nd. Bench test was OK. No flight test yet. I found I could install the 8 AA cells improperly so the transmitter would not fire up, but have been unable to reproduce that problem after properly seating the batteries.

There was no connection between the batteries and the "charge jack", but I suspect I can fix that with a handy soldering iron. Seems to be set up for Alkaline cells.

Here was nothing to indicate the proper orientation of the receiver battery pack and servo connections. I found out by trial and error. The negative (black wire) goes away from the main part of the receiver.

There was no indicator for whether or not the receiver and transmitter were binded. I had half way expected to have an LED indicator. The receiver did bind OK and operated the servos just fine.

Range check seemed to be OK inside the house, about 50 feet away. I was pleasantly surprised to find the transmitter had a range test button.

I like the feel of the sticks, with tension about the way I like it. The case has a solid feel to it. The transmitter "stick-on" labeling is not especially pleasing to my ole eyes.

I hope soon to open the transmitter case to see how easy or hard it might be to "improve" things inside Maybe find unused places on the transmitter board to add channels ??? Who knows?

That's my initial impression of this $29.93 2,4 GHz radio system. I think I got more than my money's worth. But then I haven't flown it yet !!

What to the rest of you folks think ??

Happy Holidays to you all.

Marion
Marion is offline Find More Posts by Marion
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:28 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,216 Posts

There was no connection between the batteries and the "charge jack", but I suspect I can fix that with a handy soldering iron. Seems to be set up for Alkaline cells.
Marion[/QUOTE]

G'day Marion.
Strange. Mine connects OK & charges NiMh OK. Inside the battery compartment it is marked 1.5V, but seeing it does charge 1.2V OK, then I suspect they are using the same case that was designed initially just for dry cells. I got 3.5 hrs out of a set of 2200 MaH NiMh (just left it on as a test)

I think this is a good feature in such a low price unit. I was concerned about having to put up with dry cells.

There was no indicator for whether or not the receiver and transmitter were binded. I had half way expected to have an LED indicator. The receiver did bind OK and operated the servos just fine.

Marion[/QUOTE]

I agree it is hard to see, but if you look closely you will see the bind LEDs blinking away during the bind operation, then they lock solid to confirm bind is complete.

So far (sorry, still not flown - weather not right, but I will be talking to God tonight) it seems good value. Case, controls, twin Rx, all appear well made.
But if you don't already have 2.4 you will not have a clue how to set it up. There are no instructions at all. You think they could have at least had a download available for new users.
Maybe a new user could go to another 2.4 site and read the binding procedure?

Happy Flyin'

Kev
Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:48 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,216 Posts
What about voltage?

OK, so it charges NiMh's alright but would the voltage of 9.6V from NiMh be insufficient if it was meant to use dry cells i.e. 8x1.5 = 12V??

It range checks OK, which makes me think 9.6V may be OK.

Range check is done same way as Spektrum, just hold down the bind button while doing the test.

Still haven't flown yet. Maybe today!

Kev
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:42 PM
Marion
USA, NC, Hillsborough
Joined Oct 2003
1,020 Posts
Flew Mine today

We finally had nice flying weather today - excellent as a matter of fact. I made the first flight of the new radio. Not a single problem Solid control thru out the flight. I took it up to 200 -300 feet and upwind about 500 or 600 feet, and pressed the Range Test button -- and I still had solid control. Not a glitch during the entire flight. I am impressed with the $30 radio

Guess I'll have to try rebinding and look harder for the LED that I did not see earlier.

Marion
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:39 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbydawn
The HK T4A is probably from the same supplier as this one that sells for $42.49:

Haven't been able to fly mine yet as winter here but bench testing and range testing looks good. The TX inside and out looks to be every bit as good workmanship wise as my Futaba 2.4, which by the way cost me a plane and had to be serviced as it would come unbound right on the bench!

Here's the same radio sold with a heli:

http://www.centuryheli.com/support/m...?currentid=566

Gary

The Turborix and HobbyKing receivers look suspiciously alike...
Mel Duval is offline Find More Posts by Mel Duval
Old Jan 01, 2009, 06:01 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,216 Posts
Flight test was good! No problems. Must try it with the range test button down like Marion did. A good idea!

This one though
is programmable & has 4 model memories at only $42

Happy Flyin'

Kev
Old Jan 01, 2009, 10:42 PM
Joined Mar 2008
25 Posts
Has anyone tried binding one of these RX's to a spektrum or JR xmitter?
cx2nut is offline Find More Posts by cx2nut
Old Jan 02, 2009, 09:18 AM
Marion
USA, NC, Hillsborough
Joined Oct 2003
1,020 Posts
I tried binding mine to a DX 7 -- it would not bind

That one for $42 with four model memory sounds good too However that "adjustable contrast" feature will be hard to do without a display Did I miss something here ?

Marion
Last edited by Marion; Jan 02, 2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2009, 11:10 AM
Marion
USA, NC, Hillsborough
Joined Oct 2003
1,020 Posts
I Stand Corrected

In an earlier post I mentioned that my system had no binding LED, and that there was no connection between the charging jack and the batteries. I was wrong on both points

Today I checked for the binding LED without being in bright light. Now I can't see how I missed it initially. Both LEDs are plenty bright when out of a bright light.

I had a bad connector when checking the charging jack. Simple as that

I feel better now
Old Jan 02, 2009, 02:56 PM
Wellington, NZ
Joined Aug 2006
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion
In an earlier post I mentioned that my system had no binding LED, and that there was no connection between the charging jack and the batteries. I was wrong on both points

Today I checked for the binding LED without being in bright light. Now I can't see how I missed it initially. Both LEDs are plenty bright when out of a bright light.

I had a bad connector when checking the charging jack. Simple as that

I feel better now
They do say confession is good for the soul
linw is offline Find More Posts by linw