HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2009, 02:11 PM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
@MoFl - I'm not hardware savvy enough to understand all that you've written, but from what I do understand this is all very exciting stuff! I'll study this info a bit more and probably order a radio or two.

Quote:
None of these would affect your application as you would only use the RF module and receiver.
That was going to be my next question (you beat me to it!). Do you know if the RF module is a separate circuit and can be operated independently of the other modules?

Thanks!
gobigkahuna is offline Find More Posts by gobigkahuna
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2009, 05:32 PM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigkahuna
@MoFl - I'm not hardware savvy enough to understand all that you've written, but from what I do understand this is all very exciting stuff! I'll study this info a bit more and probably order a radio or two.

That was going to be my next question (you beat me to it!). Do you know if the RF module is a separate circuit and can be operated independently of the other modules?

Thanks!
Yes, it is, see photos at post#149. Could be operated independently as soon as you feed it with +5V. In fact, I'm thinking of extracting it from the turborix and installing it in my old futaba FP-T7UAP, as a RF module.

As I said before, I'm uploading the schematic diagram for the 6 CH Turborix transmitter.

An idea for programmers (maybe waqa and Keepitsimple): Do you think it would be possible to program a "virtual joystick" for PC simulators using the serial port data and the supplied USB cable? The serial data corresponding to stick positions could be feeded to a program like PPJoy (in the same way as Smartpropoplus does with the results of processing sound card input).

I've used the turborix with an standard simulator cable (PPM to USB), but using the supplied serial to USB cable would avoid the need to buy one, and also save some signal conversions (positions to PPM and PPM back to positions), improving precision. Also, full six channels could be used (cheap PPM to USB cables only convert 4).
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Last edited by MoFl; Feb 19, 2009 at 05:43 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 05:52 PM
I enjoy the voices
Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFl
Yes, it is, see photos at post#149. Could be operated independently as soon as you feed it with +5V. In fact, I'm thinking of extracting it from the turborix and installing it in my old futaba FP-T7UAP, as a RF module.
MoFl,

I keep looking at my HK 4 channel and thinking I should have another go at making it into a 2.4 GHz hack module for one of my other computer radios. From what I can tell all will be requried is to make a 10/12V to 5V power adaptor for the input voltage, the it should be good to go as a hack module.

The PPM voltages from all radios seem to be consistent - so no voltage adaption should be required?

Also from your wiring diagram it looks like the bind/rang test switch is normally open button that goes straight to the RF module - so can easly be duplicated with an extra button on the radio you are hacking.

So a 2.4 GHz hack module and Rx, few bits for the voltage supply all for under US$40 - fantastic. And then it's just US$12 for Rx's after that!
Lead Wings is offline Find More Posts by Lead Wings
Last edited by Lead Wings; Feb 18, 2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 06:28 PM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Wings
MoFl,

I keep looking at my HK 4 channel and thinking I should have another go at making it into a 2.4 GHz hack module for one of my other computer radios. From what I can tell all will be requried is to make a 10/12V to 5V power adaptor for the input voltage, the it should be good to go as a hack module.

The PPM voltages from all radios seem to be consistent - so no voltage adaption should be required?

Also from your wiring diagram it looks like the bind/rang test switch is normally open button that goes straight to the RF module - so can easly be duplicated with an extra button on the radio you are hacking.

So a 2.4 GHz hack module and Rx, few bits for the voltage supply all for under US$40 - fantastic. And then it's just US$12 for Rx's after that!
Yes, it could be that simple!

You coud even use a switch mode voltage regulator, instead of the linear one (78L05) to improve battery life.

Just pay attention to PPM signal levels: The PPM input to the RF module should be 0 to 2.4 Volts (I think that could also admit 3.3 V, because there is a 3.3 V regulator in the RF module, so this could well be the voltage of the "logic" part of this module). Shifting your PPM signal down to this level could be as easy as it's done in the turborix (resistor divider, R14, R49 and R50).

Other problem could be PPM pulses polarity (falling from Vcc to gnd or vice-versa) but, again, an inverter could be easilly implemented (e.g with just one transistor and little more).

As I said before, I would like to try the RF part with my Futaba, but I dont have an oscilloscope to check polarity and voltage of it's PPM signal. As I said in another post, I dont trust PC soundcard oscilloscopes...
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:03 PM
Joined May 2004
602 Posts
Did I miss the post saying what the output power is? 100mw? 50mw?
Thanks

Dave
HobbyCNC is offline Find More Posts by HobbyCNC
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:35 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigkahuna
This thread has been an interesting read. Does anyone know if a PCTx ( http://www.endurance-rc.com/pctx.html ) would work with this or if I could do something similar directly from a PC through the trainer port?

Also for those who have had this radio a while, how would you compare this radio's durability compared to a DX6?

My application is a bit unusual (I will be removing the electronics and remounting them in a water tight case) and I'd hate to canabalize a nice $150+ radio when this $50 radio might work as well for my purposes.

Thanks!
See post #56 for a complete compatibility report on HK with Turborix
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:12 AM
Rouen (FRANCE)
Joined Nov 2003
69 Posts
Hi MoFl,

nice work, i did it before for myself on a piece of paper, do you think if we connect SW3, 4 and 5 to the main MCU, this one has been programmed to react on these switch.
For the receveiver and the RF module, i still not finding the data sheet of the little MCU, i found it for the main MCU and the RF tranceiver.
I think there is possibility to add a PIC or AVR and some other component to the satellite receiver module and make an other receiver, that make a good price having 2 receivers for the price of "1" (+ some components).
When i'll coul, i'll test the RF module on a MC12 radio, i have to fix like you if it's postive or negative shift PPM and make a little inverter-non inverter that reduce any PPM input to around 3V PPM output.

Géo .
geotrouvetout is offline Find More Posts by geotrouvetout
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:05 AM
Joined Feb 2009
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel
Yes, those are inductors. At this frequency all that is needed to make an inductor is a few squiggles of pc line as you see. They are probably used as rf chokes to keep the rf frequency out of the trainer cord.

You can solve your voltage problem by connecting a 7805 voltage regulator between your transmitter supply and the rf module. You can get those at Radio Shack for about a buck and a quarter. They usually come with some sample schematics for connecting them.

Larry

Hi, I just bought a Turborix 6 channel, and one of the trainer port chokes is badly damaged with about six lines of squiggly track cut through with a deep scratch.

Does anyone know what implications this will have?

I have not used this Tx, I opened it for inspection due to poor quality control reports I've read. Otherwise, the Tx looks pretty tidy inside.

My camera battery is flat, so I included this link that shows a healthy choke.
The six channel Turborix has one extra choke, and that is the one that is cut through.

http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/at...28Large%29.jpg
congo is offline Find More Posts by congo
Last edited by congo; Feb 19, 2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:07 AM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Hi, Géo

I don't know if the firmware would react to uninstalled switches, but I think it might so, as the program could be made before someone decided to save this components, given the possibility to achieve their functions from the config software. In this case, the most likely function of four of these switches is to activate reverse on four main channels.

If you want to try (maybe I'll do it), I'd recommend to use a resistance (5k to 10k, for example) to join the related pins (12, 13, 15, 16, 17) to +5Vmcu and ground, instead of joining them directly, to avoid damaging the chip in case the firmware is not prepared and these pins were configured as outputs instead of inputs. This test could easily be done at the switches' pads of the PCB.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:15 AM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
FlySky China web page

Maybe, as I did, some of you have tried www.fliskychina.com (printed in the silkscreen of the RF module), just to find it's a "generic" web page of one of those domain parking sites.

The real FlySky web is (english version):

http://www.flysky-cn.com/english/index.asp

This must be the OEM for Turborix, HC, etc, as the 4 ch model, the 6 ch model and some more are listed there.

Unfortunatley, it's not a very complete page. For example, you can download the driver an config app, but not the manuals.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:31 AM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by congo
Hi, I just bought a Turborix 6 channel, and one of the trainer port chokes is badly damaged with about the six lines of squiggly track cut through with a deep scratch.

Does anyone know what implications this will have?

I have not used this Tx, I opened it for inspection due to poor quality control reports I've read. Otherwise, the Tx looks pretty tidy inside.

My camera battery is flat, so I included this link that shows a healthy choke.
The six channel Turborix has one extra choke, and that is the one that is cut through.

http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/at...28Large%29.jpg
Hello, Congo.

It depends on which of the chokes is damaged. You can see the photo of an undamaged one at post#149, both PCB side and comp side.

If it's the one connected to ground, none of the signals would go; in other case, you loose just one of them. If it's +5V, no problem, both config soft (through USB cable) and PPM out (to PC simulator, if you have and apprppriate cable) would work. There is a possibility that this is the case, as it could be intentionally broken to avoid the risk of users shorting +5V to ground and damaging the TX.

The "squiggly track" corresponding to +5V is shown in the attached picture
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:35 AM
Joined Feb 2009
45 Posts
Yes, that's the one, thankyou very much.

Something I might mention, the T6config software doesn't seem to work with x64 bit Windows. Rough guess is the driver for it is 16 bit. The software runs but doesn't see the Tx.
Last edited by congo; Feb 19, 2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 11:34 AM
Joined Dec 2008
23 Posts
Hi, great thread! I see you are hacking this thing to death I would just be content to get mine working at all LOL. For some reason even when following the exact listed bind procedure my led lights do nothing but steadily blink. I have held the bind button down for at least a minute solid with nothing. Now the rx is getting power as I can see the led blinking and if you plug a servo in it jumps around a bit. The tx itself works on a trainer cord with fms just fine on all channels! So I cannot understand what is wrong. I have been using 1.2 nimh batteries could that cause it to not bind? I even have two rx's I bought a extra from hobby city and it won't bind with either one. I will continue to use it with fms if I can't do anything else, it's probably not worth the shipping to exchange it, just thought someone might know something to try. Thanks!
86waterpumper is offline Find More Posts by 86waterpumper
Old Feb 19, 2009, 11:42 AM
Joined Feb 2009
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyCNC
Did I miss the post saying what the output power is? 100mw? 50mw?
Thanks

Dave
RF power less than 20db, I don't know what that is in mw. "less than" 100mw?

http://www.flysky-cn.com/english/pro...sp?prodid=0013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86waterpumper
Hi, great thread! I see you are hacking this thing to death I would just be content to get mine working at all LOL. For some reason even when following the exact listed bind procedure my led lights do nothing but steadily blink. I have held the bind button down for at least a minute solid with nothing. Now the rx is getting power as I can see the led blinking and if you plug a servo in it jumps around a bit. The tx itself works on a trainer cord with fms just fine on all channels! So I cannot understand what is wrong. I have been using 1.2 nimh batteries could that cause it to not bind? I even have two rx's I bought a extra from hobby city and it won't bind with either one. I will continue to use it with fms if I can't do anything else, it's probably not worth the shipping to exchange it, just thought someone might know something to try. Thanks!
I just had a similar problem with initial binding using sus dry cells. As soon as I fitted a 3s lipo (12v+) to the Tx and an ESC with a charged lipo to the Rx, it completed bind.... maybe the 1.2v cells you have aren't giving it enough juice?

The bind button needs to be depressed on Tx power up with the Rx already on with the binding dongle in the Rx BAT socket and Rx power through a channel slot.

I first tried to fit a 2s 7.4v lipo @ ~8v to the Tx, hoping to relieve the voltage regulator, but it red lighted immediately.
Last edited by congo; Feb 19, 2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 03:28 PM
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Sep 2008
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFl
As I said before, I'm uploading the schematic diagram for the 6 CH Turborix transmitter.
Thank you very much for the great schematic , MoFl.
I can see now that there will be no problem operating the turborix on 9.6 volts.(8xNiMh)

The lower supply voltage would even keep the temperature stress on U3 lower.

I did some measuring:

LED steady green : SupplyVoltage > 10.8 Volt
LED steady orange: 9.4 Volt < SupplyVoltage < 10.4 Volt
LED steady red : SupplyVoltage < 9.1 Volt

For NiMh, adjusting R30 or R31 a little bit could keep the LED green if powersupply > 9.4 Volt.
It would then be steady orange if < 9.0 volt.( Maybe time to charge now ? )
If I'm right this would be approx 7.5 Kohm for R30.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Powerconsumption in "all cases" approx 175 mA.

regards from hans
keepitsimple is offline Find More Posts by keepitsimple