HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2009, 04:29 PM
Joined Sep 2008
44 Posts
Can't get PPJoy to work

I am trying to configure FMS Simulator but I cannot get ‘PPJoy’ to work. I am running Windows XP Home SP2 and have set the ‘Driver Setting Options’ to ‘Ignore’ and PPJoy Setup runs to completion without any errors or warnings but whenever I double click ‘Parallel Port Joysticks’ off ‘Control Panel’ I get the error:
“Cannot open the Parallel Port Joystick Bus Enumerator. Please install PPJoyBus.sys first.”
I have been through the whole PPJoy User Manual but cannot find out how to correct this problem. Anyone know how to resolve this?
VHugo is offline Find More Posts by VHugo
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2009, 04:50 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
You really use PP joy with a flysky?
It's not using Parallel, it's using a serial port to USB connection. the software should think it's connecting to a serial port.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Oct 16, 2009, 05:03 PM
Joined Sep 2008
44 Posts
Not sure what I’m doing! I am in fact trying to use a USB cable with my Futaba Tx but when I plug it in and select ‘Controls’/’Analog Controls’/’Joystick Interface’ then click on ‘Mapping/Calibration’ nothing happens when I move the sticks on the Tx. Somewhere it was recommended to try ‘PPJoy’ which I have done (even though I was skeptical that it was for ‘Parallel Port’).
Old Oct 16, 2009, 05:57 PM
Joined Nov 2004
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP_blackfoot
Based on the above observations, I believe that SN Hobbies did indeed sell off early versions of the FlySky system, which would explain the troubling behaviour witnessed by Renns's radios ?
My solution was to order one of the HK tx modules, back when they still sold them. I swapped the tx board into one of my SNHobbies 6ch radios, and now all is well - they bind independently! I still have the other tx board in the box somewhere, but will likely never put it to use, as it conflicts with my unmodified tx.
renns is offline Find More Posts by renns
Old Oct 16, 2009, 06:04 PM
Joined Sep 2008
44 Posts
Got it working - thanks to 'Syno' for the tip!

V
Old Oct 16, 2009, 09:35 PM
Bloomfield. Nebraska
Joined Jun 2009
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFl
I'm afraid it would be difficult to fit 18650 batteries in Flysky's 4 & 6 ch systems (BTW, 18650 means diameter = 18 mm and length = 65 mm). As you can see in these photos, the main pcb is just behind the battery compartment. This compartment is 15 mm deep, so maybe removing it would give the extra 3 mm needed, but that would be "major surgery".

I think a better solution would be using a flat LiIon pack (e.g. this one at HK) that fits in the 120*50*15 battery bay, but a simple and "elegant" solution would be using 14500 LiIon cells (e.g same dimensions as AAs), instead of 18650s.

As with 18650s, there are protected (e.g. this one and this one) and unprotected versions (this one) of 14500s. There are also specific chargers like this one, or some of these. Also, as Xjet said, 4 buttons chinese chargers (like this or this) are appropriate for these cells used in the LiIon setting.

As they have the same size as AAs, you only have to drop 2 of these in the battery bay, and install a jumper (cable) through unused compartments (see attached image).

The only problem is these are 900 mAh, far less than the 18650s, but still enough for a long flying session (more than 5 h at 170 mA). And if you want more, you can use 4 cells connected in a 2s2p arrangement. I´m attaching a diagram of both cases.

Of course, if you want to have propper indications from the battery status LED, then you should do the resistor mod (considering we're using 2 LiPos=7.2V, I'd go for the non-conservative version, new R30=7K5, or adding a 30K resistor in parallel with existing R30), although another possibility would be to forget about the led an use a low voltage beeper, as described here.
MoFi
I like the idea of the 2s2p lithium battery arrangement you showed in the above post. I am not very sharp when it comes to lipos etc. Could you explain how one would connect a balance plug to these batteries.......I
I am wondering how to hook such a pack up to balance charge them. I have the accucel 6 charger. Would it be possible for you to show via another diagram how the balance plug would be attached to the pack. Where can the balance plug wires be obtained?
THanks for any information you or someone else can provide.
Stan from Nebraska still hopingthat some day i will fly without so many hard landings.
VoyagerXll is offline Find More Posts by VoyagerXll
Old Oct 17, 2009, 06:50 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,897 Posts
I simply remove the battery door on the back of the TX and then fish out the balance plug to hook up to my LiPo charger. I suppose one could get fancy and rig up a plug that mounts on the side of the TX to do it all from the outside too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:25 AM
Joined Nov 2004
263 Posts
I've been running the 4-cell option that JMP devised some months back. It works just fine in my two tx's, and frees up space for spare batteries or binding cable in the rest of the battery compartment.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 11:57 PM
Aircraft re-kitter
15NM from CYYZ on 06L
Joined Feb 2007
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renns
I've been running the 4-cell option that JMP devised some months back. It works just fine in my two tx's, and frees up space for spare batteries or binding cable in the rest of the battery compartment.
Me too, wonderful mod, I slid out the battery terminals and moved them about, I was thinking of making space for 4s 2p NiMh, but just some extra battery space is fine.

Another thought I had was 2s 2p LiIon 14500's but more of a pain to charge than eneloop type NiMh
ergocentric is offline Find More Posts by ergocentric
Old Oct 19, 2009, 06:55 AM
no gap is too 'small'
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Feb 2009
572 Posts
tips

hi
i bought a new 6ch and downloaded keepitsimples program http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=390
but i do not know how to use it. can somebody help me

thanks
screwup is offline Find More Posts by screwup
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:20 AM
Joined Jul 2009
648 Posts
Turborix slave receiver up and running with PIC processor
__________________________________________________ __
I finally got my decoder running with a PIC 12F675 with 16 Mhz crystal clock.

It can bind the satellite Rx to a TX and save this information into its EEProm.
On normal power on, it uses this information to have the satellite receiver bind to the TX.

It reads the channel information, coming from the satellite, does checksum checking and copies the data to its ram, if checksum is ok. From there it creates the channel pulses, one channel after the other.
No fail save mechanism is implemented in the moment.

As there are not too many pins available, this PIC can only control 2 servos.

But the program is able to run up to 8 channels, if there are enough I/O pins available. I checked this by sending all channel pulses to a single port pin.

Reinhard
ReSt is offline Find More Posts by ReSt
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:58 AM
Joined Nov 2004
263 Posts
streetbomber,

What specifically are you having problems with? Your question is a bit vague :-)

ReSt, amazing work... Thanks for sharing your progress!
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:01 AM
Aircraft re-kitter
15NM from CYYZ on 06L
Joined Feb 2007
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSt
But the program is able to run up to 8 channels, if there are enough I/O pins available. I checked this by sending all channel pulses to a single port pin.

Reinhard
Found this

4015 or 74hc164
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420539

Edit: so I noticed that many good DIY threads are buried under more recent 'how do I reboot windows' (and such) threads.

Loads more reading.
Odd that the electrons haven't changed much in twenty years, and it's still all about parts availability.

- Eric
Last edited by ergocentric; Oct 19, 2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:08 AM
Aircraft re-kitter
15NM from CYYZ on 06L
Joined Feb 2007
632 Posts
Serial data to PPM to PWM

Reinhard, I'd really love to see your code.

Eric.
(ordering some PIC processors now)
(was hoping to use these for RC cars for my daughter)
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:56 AM
Joined Jul 2009
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergocentric
Serial data to PPM to PWM

Reinhard, I'd really love to see your code.
I can upload it. The source is somehow commented, but in a mix of German and English

Btw I have updated the summary post http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2104

Reinhard
ReSt is offline Find More Posts by ReSt