SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2009, 03:29 AM
Hannover,Germany
Joined Dec 2006
15 Posts
Hi Geo

Yes, you are right !!!

the result after read out the data from the transmitter ar not the same ( look to the last s bytes )

is this the reason for this failure ??

and what can I do to solve this problem ??

regards

Klaus
wetskindiver is offline Find More Posts by wetskindiver
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2009, 05:21 AM
Rouen (FRANCE)
Joined Nov 2003
69 Posts
Hi klaus,

the last 2 bytes are not the same, i'll test to load your return file in my radio to see if it goes wrong.
In your side, what append when you load the file that i send to you ??? there is some change or not, and how is setting your port com on your computer (speed, parity, stop bit etc...).

Regards.

Go .
geotrouvetout is offline Find More Posts by geotrouvetout
Old Feb 14, 2009, 07:56 AM
have foam, will fly
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
278 Posts
The last 2 bytes are check bytes. Put them together to form a 16 bit number which is the sum of bytes 2 to 66. They will differ for different setups and are used to validate the data stream when transmitting serial data from device to device.
waqa is offline Find More Posts by waqa
Old Feb 14, 2009, 01:05 PM
Hannover,Germany
Joined Dec 2006
15 Posts
Hi Geo

Yes, when I use your setup, all setting are changing to your setting, then I have canal 5+6, mixers, mode and all the other things from you ( and the same is happened, when I used Hans setup )

...but no reaction, when I move the left stick forward/backward and the right stick left/right

I agree with you, it must be a fatal software failure, but what can I change to reset the radio to the factory settings

regards

Klaus
wetskindiver is offline Find More Posts by wetskindiver
Last edited by wetskindiver; Feb 16, 2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 05:24 AM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
This thread has been an interesting read. Does anyone know if a PCTx ( http://www.endurance-rc.com/pctx.html ) would work with this or if I could do something similar directly from a PC through the trainer port?

Also for those who have had this radio a while, how would you compare this radio's durability compared to a DX6?

My application is a bit unusual (I will be removing the electronics and remounting them in a water tight case) and I'd hate to canabalize a nice $150+ radio when this $50 radio might work as well for my purposes.

Thanks!
gobigkahuna is offline Find More Posts by gobigkahuna
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:49 AM
have foam, will fly
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigkahuna
This thread has been an interesting read. Does anyone know if a PCTx ( http://www.endurance-rc.com/pctx.html ) would work with this or if I could do something similar directly from a PC through the trainer port?

Also for those who have had this radio a while, how would you compare this radio's durability compared to a DX6?

My application is a bit unusual (I will be removing the electronics and remounting them in a water tight case) and I'd hate to canabalize a nice $150+ radio when this $50 radio might work as well for my purposes.

Thanks!

The channel data serial stream seen on the 'trainer' port is probably the same signal that is sent to the tx section of the radio, possibly with the addition of the GUID unless the GUID is part of the tx section, I'm sure someone here can confirm that. If true, replicating the channel data and GUID wouldn't be difficult and you wouldn't need that extra PCTx gadget since the radio already comes with a serial/usb cable. Mixing capabilities with PC software would be near limitless
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:58 AM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
Thanks waqa, then this might be the radio I've been looking for. My particular application is to control a robot by computer, so rather than infinite mixing capabilities I'm looking at possibly automating some controls, such as automatically maintaining a course or speed.

I'm not particularly up to speed on how to get my software to "talk" to this controller though. Do you know if any libraries are included on the disk that's shipped with the radio? I'm guessing most of what's been done so far has been reverse engineered?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:04 AM
have foam, will fly
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
278 Posts
Quote:
Thanks waqa, then this might be the radio I've been looking for. My particular application is to control a robot by computer, so rather than infinite mixing capabilities I'm looking at possibly automating some controls, such as automatically maintaining a course or speed.

I'm not particularly up to speed on how to get my software to "talk" to this controller though. Do you know if any libraries are included on the disk that's shipped with the radio? I'm guessing most of what's been done so far has been reverse engineered?

The radio talks via serial communications at 115kbps. The channel data is just a series of 8 byte values that correspond to the stick positions. You can simulate these values and send them to the radio using the cable that comes with it and just about any programming language like VB, C#, Python etc.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:19 AM
Vintage Flyer
Treasure Island, FL
Joined Jan 2002
553 Posts
Just started looking at this thread and I'm fascinated... but I would like to ask - the discussions here near page 14-15 about external serial control, does this correspond to the radio in the first post or has this thread wandered to a different target as so many do?

FenceMagnet is offline Find More Posts by FenceMagnet
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:23 AM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenceMagnet
Just started looking at this thread and I'm fascinated... but I would like to ask - the discussions here near page 14-15 about external serial control, does this correspond to the radio in the first post or has this thread wandered to a different target as so many do?

See post #20. There is a 6 channel radio that works with the hobby king rx, and is pc programmable for throws, expo, etc.

the pocket PC mods were to have a means to change model memories in that radio without having a laptop in the field.

You're right, the thread drifted away from the original 4 channel $30 HK radio, but is still very interesting.
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:25 AM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
Wow, that sounds almost too easy. Is this channel data documented somewhere?

Also, what's the general consensus on the reliability / durability of these radios?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:35 AM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenceMagnet

Sorry for the confusion. My questions were referring to the Turborix radio.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:55 AM
Vintage Flyer
Treasure Island, FL
Joined Jan 2002
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-111 John
See post #20. There is a 6 channel radio that works with the hobby king rx, and is pc programmable for throws, expo, etc.

the pocket PC mods were to have a means to change model memories in that radio without having a laptop in the field.

You're right, the thread drifted away from the original 4 channel $30 HK radio, but is still very interesting.
Thanks !!!
FenceMagnet is offline Find More Posts by FenceMagnet
Old Feb 18, 2009, 01:23 PM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
I'm currently testing the Hobby-King 4-channel 2.4GHz system and have found (as I suspected) that it binds and works with the iMax 9X 2.4Ghz system.

The RF components appear common to many of the new low-cost 2.4GHz systems out of china.

______
When I'm not here I'm at RCModelReviews
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old Feb 18, 2009, 01:24 PM
Espaa, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waqa
The channel data serial stream seen on the 'trainer' port is probably the same signal that is sent to the tx section of the radio, possibly with the addition of the GUID unless the GUID is part of the tx section, I'm sure someone here can confirm that. If true, replicating the channel data and GUID wouldn't be difficult and you wouldn't need that extra PCTx gadget since the radio already comes with a serial/usb cable. Mixing capabilities with PC software would be near limitless
I have drawn the schematic of the Turborix 6 ch (I hope to post it soon, after I improve the drawing a little bit), and the signal that goes to the trainer port is exactly the same that goes to the RF module, after passing through a resistive divider. Pin 26 of the MCU is connected to the trainer port via a 1K2 resistor (R36), and this same pin goes to a 1K resistor (R14) in series with another 10k (R49) to the HF module connector (yellow cable), and from this point to a 10K resistor(R50) connected to GND (you can follow this on the photos I posted at post #149). It is therefore the same signal of the "trainer port", shifted down from 5V to 2.38V.

This information is also useful to use the RF board with other systems, or even the PCTX (post#215) as you only need to feed the PPM signal to the RF board with this voltage level, and the same polarity. Related to the polarity, there is a problem: In post#167 it seems the PPM signal consists of positive pulses (5V, as this is the MCUs Vdd) from 0V. This picture is taken with a soundcard oscilloscope, and I have done the same, with the same results. But if I measure the DC voltage at pin 1 of the trainer port (see post #178) with a multimeter its higher than 4 volts, which would match with 0V pulses from 5V, just the opposite (duty cycle of these pulses is about 7*0.4/20=0.14; 5-0.14*5=4.3V) This also matches with the information posted by keepitsimple (post #168). I suspect software oscilloscopes using sound cards might invert signals under certain conditions.

Quote:
Wow, that sounds almost too easy. Is this channel data documented somewhere?

Also, what's the general consensus on the reliability / durability of these radios?
There are several posts documenting the PPM signal and the serial data signal (#79 and #112, by keepitsimple) but, for your aplication, I understand you would need to feed the PPM signal from the PCTX to the RF module after adapting levels (unfortunately, the trainer port doesn't feature a PPM input signal). If this is the case, both radios discussed in this thread (4ch and 6ch) would fit you, as the RF TX module and the rx are exactly the same.

I cant answer the second question, as I haven't used the radio enough time, but have a look at:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_81..._1/key_/tm.htm
http://forum.modelisme.com/viewtopic.php?id=161553&p=1

Seems some people has had problems with joystick's mechanics, program corruption and 5 volt regulator overheating (in extreme weather, fixed with a radiator). None of these would affect your application as you would only use the RF module and receiver.
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl