HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2009, 02:47 PM
Joined Dec 2006
9 Posts
Sorry and thanks for explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenceMagnet
The 6 modulation markers yields 5 channels, not 6... a channel is the space between two markers...

chemax_t is offline Find More Posts by chemax_t
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2009, 05:40 PM
Joined Dec 2006
9 Posts
Now the Turborix 2.4g 6ch
Old Feb 06, 2009, 09:47 AM
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Sep 2008
80 Posts
Channels not 5 but 6

Fyi
keepitsimple is offline Find More Posts by keepitsimple
Last edited by keepitsimple; Feb 06, 2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2009, 11:37 AM
Joined Dec 2006
9 Posts
I could create some confusion before, my apologies. First pic (post #162) was taken from HobbyKing 2.4g 4ch radio and second (post #167) is from Turborix 2.4g 6ch.
I got exited by the possibility to upgrade channels on the 4ch radio and post my finds without thinking. Now i'm having a cup of tea...
cheers
Old Feb 07, 2009, 03:15 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemax_t
I could create some confusion before, my apologies. First pic (post #162) was taken from HobbyKing 2.4g 4ch radio and second (post #167) is from Turborix 2.4g 6ch.
I got exited by the possibility to upgrade channels on the 4ch radio and post my finds without thinking. Now i'm having a cup of tea...
cheers
Now, I am really confused. Is the picture from post #162 a 4ch HK or 6ch Turborix? It looks like the 6ch system. Also, please say this ( "I could create some confusion before,...) a different way. I don't understand. Help.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Feb 07, 2009, 07:27 AM
Joined Sep 2008
112 Posts
A question for the computer wizards. If I were to purchase a Compaq iPAQ Pocket PC H3835 would I be able to program my Turborix with it? I'm assuming it would operate on the Turborix software or a compatible driver.
abbydawn is offline Find More Posts by abbydawn
Old Feb 07, 2009, 08:14 AM
Vintage Flyer
Treasure Island, FL
Joined Jan 2002
553 Posts
The first picture, if taken from the 4 ch radio, shows that the board is sending out a 5 channel stream though it's only using 4.... the second picture is a 6 ch stream...

FenceMagnet is offline Find More Posts by FenceMagnet
Old Feb 07, 2009, 11:16 AM
Joined Dec 2006
9 Posts
FenceMagnet is Right! although HobbyKing radio is rated for 4 ch it is really sending 5ch. And the second pic is the Turborix one. My English is not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenceMagnet
The first picture, if taken from the 4 ch radio, shows that the board is sending out a 5 channel stream though it's only using 4.... the second picture is a 6 ch stream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
Now, I am really confused. Is the picture from post #162 a 4ch HK or 6ch Turborix? It looks like the 6ch system. Also, please say this ( "I could create some confusion before,...) a different way. I don't understand. Help.
AJ
Old Feb 07, 2009, 11:17 AM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
abbydawn,
keepitsimple and waqa are both working on ways to hookup the Turborix TX to an iPAQ with custom cable and software. A direct hookup with the software and cable that comes with the TX is not possible. If you go back and read through the thread you can catch up on the progress they have made with the iPAQ. From what I have seen you will need to buy the TX, an iPAQ, and a short list of electrinics to make a cable hookup. I have been following the progress and am interested in making my own adapter cable, so I can use my iPAQ with the Turborix. This TX may become the ultimate poor mans 2.4G RC system.

BlueFFF
BlueFFF is offline Find More Posts by BlueFFF
Old Feb 07, 2009, 01:59 PM
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,759 Posts
"TX may become the ultimate poor mans 2.4G RC system."

Assuming you have an iPAQ or laptop already - right?
teamdavey is offline Find More Posts by teamdavey
Old Feb 07, 2009, 02:21 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Sep 2003
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdavey

Thats right, The total cost I think will still be lower than any other 2.4 syatem. You can pick up a used iPac cheap.
tommywatson is offline Find More Posts by tommywatson
Old Feb 07, 2009, 02:31 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Thanks & pin-outs

Hi Guys - Thanks for sorting out the pics. I understand what is going on now. Does anyone have a pin-out for the TX cable to hook up a DB9-F? I would love to get rid of that crappy usb-serial and go directly to my com1 port on my computers. I have tried all the latest drivers and nothing is very reliable. Thanks in advance.

AJ

P.S. As time permits, I will try to see how we might use ch5 on the HK 4ch (if someone hasn't figured it out already).
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Feb 09, 2009, 07:02 AM
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Sep 2008
80 Posts
Pinning Trainer port

I think its not wise to connect the DB9-F diectly to the Trainerport.
It actually might destoy serialdata input, because of the incompatible levels.
You could use a Max232 levelshifter...
keepitsimple is offline Find More Posts by keepitsimple
Old Feb 09, 2009, 10:05 AM
have foam, will fly
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdavey

An Ipaq or any other PocketPC with a serial cable will do. I just happen to have a bunch of Ipaqs and am using it as a test bed for the software/hardware.

Ipaqs seem to be the most common PocketPC that come with serial cables. Most new PocketPCs come with only USB cables. All Dell Axim X3,X30,X50 and more have serial lines that use 5v logic so if you have one of those with a serial cable you won't need a level shifter like the what is needed for the Ipaq. Dell PDA serial cables are not common though and around $30 new.

I'll be posting the software today. I used my radio and Ipaq this weekend and it works great. I have everything done except sub-trims which I'll finish up today.
waqa is offline Find More Posts by waqa
Old Feb 09, 2009, 11:34 AM
have foam, will fly
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
278 Posts
I'll start by posting my cable setup. I built and tested a couple MAX232 level shifters for this project I found that I wasn't getting consistent data transmission with it, either due to my lack of solder skills or the 115kbps transmission speeds needed. The 115kpbs baud rate used by the radio is the upper limit of a well put together MAX232 circuit. The cost build the MAX232 circuit is around $5 not including shipping if you need to order the parts. There are a few connections that need to be made, polarity followed, and one mistake results in the entire thing not working. Trying to troubleshoot it without an O-Scope is not much fun. There are plenty of notes on building these out on the net so I am not going to detail a MAX232 circuit build here.

The design I find that is easiest to build and trouble free uses this level shifter from SparkFun:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=8780

I happen to have one on hand, the version with the female DB-9 female connector which I cut off. I am not affiliated with SparkFun in any way, just a happy customer. One of these costs about $10 with $3 shipping. The alternative below is about $7:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=133

The pin-outs on this board are the same as the previous one so you can use either one. I have never used on of these so I canít guarantee it will work for this application. They say they use at 115kbps with no problems and Iím inclined to believe them.

Both cards come with transmit and receive LEDís and these are your best indicators of any wiring mistakes.

Serial interfacing, both hardware and software, can be a major nightmare when things aren't going right (which is often). Working with proven components where you need to make a minimum number of connections really helps make this a painless experience.
waqa is offline Find More Posts by waqa