HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2009, 06:17 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Trainer Cable

I spliced into a Dish Network S-video cable and crossed the yellow and black lines (pins 2 and 3, or receive, transmit).

Plugging one controller into another, about the most you can do is POWER the other controller with the one that is on, and even then you are only getting 5V, so the LED is red.

I think for it to work as a Trainer, there needs to be a software component that directs the radio to transmit the received data instead of the onboard data, and a hardware switch added to turn that data on and off to the trainer port.

Any thoughts?
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2009, 06:43 PM
Joined Nov 2004
263 Posts
Telemachus,

Could this not be done purely with some hardware mods? Add another jack (say 1/8" stereo style) to the master tx. Modify a cable such that gnd, 5v, and ppm from slave are connected to the master. The gnd and 5v power the trainer tx from the master. Add a SPDT switch to the master tx to send either trainer ppm or master ppm to the rf board. Software settings of the two tx's would need to be the same up front, or there'd be chaos! Any reason why this would not work?

On another front, for those that recall my strange two TurboRix tx's with the same GUID - the problem is now fixed. I ordered a HobbyKing rf module, and swapped the board into one of my tx's.
renns is offline Find More Posts by renns
Old Aug 16, 2009, 07:10 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Jun 2009
19 Posts
elevon mixing

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb
When I was having problems getting the elevons to work, I asked that same question in this thread here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...rborix+elevons
Thanks, those instructions worked perfectly. Maiden tomorrow, as long as the wife isn't having a baby!
gheter is offline Find More Posts by gheter
Old Aug 16, 2009, 09:01 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Its a good thought. Even the cheap Esky and Eflite contollers do it all through the trainer port. I would imagine that your idea would work fine, but the switch could be setup to atlernate the information that comes from the internal PPM vs the external serial data coming in.

I took apart my Blade CP controller, and that is exactly what it appears that the "trainer" switch does. It is connected from the data in pin on the trainer port to the main board where is says "comm."

When I have a chance to look at the main board of the flysky some more, I'll mess with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renns
Telemachus,

Could this not be done purely with some hardware mods? Add another jack (say 1/8" stereo style) to the master tx. Modify a cable such that gnd, 5v, and ppm from slave are connected to the master. The gnd and 5v power the trainer tx from the master. Add a SPDT switch to the master tx to send either trainer ppm or master ppm to the rf board. Software settings of the two tx's would need to be the same up front, or there'd be chaos! Any reason why this would not work?

On another front, for those that recall my strange two TurboRix tx's with the same GUID - the problem is now fixed. I ordered a HobbyKing rf module, and swapped the board into one of my tx's.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 02:13 AM
Pacifica, CA USA
Joined May 2009
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus
I have two of these, and have messed a little bit with the idea of using one as a "buddy box" to help teach someone else.

If you plug a turned off transmitter into the active one with a regular S-video cable, the light turns red on it, and thats about it. It won't control the servos.

As far as I can tell, there is no option to assign one of the switches to be a trainer switch, which would be needed to take over control. Also, I think the cable would have to be patched into so that the xmit out pin on one goes into the reciever pin on another.

This wouldn't be a difficult cable to make, but the utility of it is minimal without the ability to "lock out" the buddy box to avoid dual inputs.

If no one else has tried this, 'll cut a cable and try a few things, because if there is a way to make one control the output of another, a switch could always be added to the cable itself to turn the receive line on and off...

Use a palm or PPC?

Try another computer?

I tried it with Vista but still the same result and no luck. System does recognize the cable but when I turn the transmitter on it will freeze the T6 config program.

I have a pocket PC I believe 3605. What type of cable do I need to connect it?

Thank you very much
norstaroption is online now Find More Posts by norstaroption
Old Aug 17, 2009, 02:48 AM
Pacifica, CA USA
Joined May 2009
456 Posts
Thank you very much y'all who helped me out (Rest, Tele, Frac and Mofi). I got it to work with Keep it Simple Program. I'm going to use this for my Flying Wing. How do I set it up as Delta Wings (Elevons). I'll do some reading tomorrow if I can find some postings. Now I'll see if I can make this program work with my Ipaq 3605 PPC.

Again, thank you very much for all your time helping a newbie.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 07:13 AM
Trier, Germany
Joined Aug 2007
522 Posts
Has anyone tried if the Eurgle 3ch receiver is compatible to the HK Module?
http://www.r2hobbies.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcps61413
(Jo)Hannes is offline Find More Posts by (Jo)Hannes
Old Aug 17, 2009, 08:35 AM
anarchist
Joined Jan 2008
6,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norstaroption
Thank you very much y'all who helped me out (Rest, Tele, Frac and Mofi). I got it to work with Keep it Simple Program. I'm going to use this for my Flying Wing. How do I set it up as Delta Wings (Elevons). I'll do some reading tomorrow if I can find some postings. Now I'll see if I can make this program work with my Ipaq 3605 PPC.

Again, thank you very much for all your time helping a newbie.

see post 1668 above

frac
frac is offline Find More Posts by frac
Old Aug 17, 2009, 10:00 PM
Firefox
USA, KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial
La-crosse charger and eneloop batteries

It's not necessarily cheap but this is a very good charger and it comes with 8 of the low discharge Eneloop AA, 4 la-crosse AA and 4 AAA rechargeable batteries as well as some D and C cell adapters for $54. That is not a bad deal at all. 8 eneloops are $26 at amazon.com by themselves.

Anyone know of a good, not to expensive 8 AA cell charger for Eneloop batteries ?

Also, Thomas Distributing is having a sale on Sanyo 2000 Eneloop Japanese batteries. 4 for $9.97.

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/sh...b8ufioamutejn5
Firefox675 is offline Find More Posts by Firefox675
Old Aug 17, 2009, 10:06 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkkennard
Anyone know of a good, not to expensive 8 AA cell charger for Eneloop batteries ?

Also, Thomas Distributing is having a sale on Sanyo 2000 Eneloop Japanese batteries. 4 for $9.97.

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/sh...b8ufioamutejn5
I've heard good things about Maha chargers. Here's 2 8 cell versions.

8-cell

8-cell 2
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Aug 17, 2009, 10:29 PM
Firefox
USA, KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial
I've heard good things about Maha chargers. Here's 2 8 cell versions.

8-cell

8-cell 2

The first one rapid charges at 1000Ma soft at 500Ma for AA's

The second rapid charges at 2000Ma, soft at 1000Ma for AA's

Sounds like the first one would be best for Eneloop batteries, for long battery life. Charge rate is a bit high on the second one.

Both condition batteries.

Thanks
Firefox675 is offline Find More Posts by Firefox675
Last edited by Firefox675; Aug 18, 2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 10:29 PM
Lakeside, CA
Joined Oct 2005
160 Posts
I've got the Maha 801 sitting on my counter top, and the 9000 mounted in the RV plugged into my homebrew powerpole rv outlet. Works great and the whole family is trained to recharge batteries. Well, actually the kids are trained to take all my powerex batteries and use them where ever without recharging anything. All my tx's have drycell packs filled with nimh.
markw365 is offline Find More Posts by markw365
Old Aug 18, 2009, 03:39 AM
Pacifica, CA USA
Joined May 2009
456 Posts
Can you use Hyperion charger to charge Enerloop batteries? Can I just leave the batteries inside the transmitter then charge it from he charge port?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 04:02 AM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Gotta love the quality assurance on these things

I got two flysky 6ch radios from SNhobbies a week ago. One is working fine.

Put some batteries in the other today, plugged it into t6config, and no matter what configuration file I use, the throttle will never anything below 50%, even with trim all the way down and end points as -120%.

Also, channels 1 and 2 need to be at 120 sub trim to be centered on the right stick. Its almost as if all pots are off on the sticks.

Is this fixable, or am I shipping back to Canada?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 05:57 AM
Espaņa, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus
...Put some batteries in the other today, plugged it into t6config, and no matter what configuration file I use, the throttle will never anything below 50%, even with trim all the way down and end points as -120%.

Also, channels 1 and 2 need to be at 120 sub trim to be centered on the right stick. Its almost as if all pots are off on the sticks.

Is this fixable, or am I shipping back to Canada?
Maybe your problem is loose joystick's potentiometer nuts and/or "plastic weldings" (has been previously reported by others, look at this post).

Also, check all the connections of the potentiometers. If you have a multimeter, chech that the voltages at the mainboard, where the potentiometer's wiper's cables arrive, chnage from almost 0 to almost 5 volts when you move the sticks.
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl