HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2009, 08:19 PM
have foam, will fly
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFl
You could try to find the PPM signal following a similar procedure as described here:

http://users.belgacom.net/TX2TX/tx2t...to-oscillo.htm
http://users.belgacom.net/TX2TX/tx2t...h/tx2txgb1.htm

It's a page dedicated to explain how to make trainer cords to join different brands of radios. The same problems (finding PPM signal, changing polarity, ...) are found in this task.

MoFI, thanks for pointing out the IR option. How could I have missed it, I must be getting senile .

I am already figuring out the issues. So far I can use 2 resistors and IR emmiter/detector pair connected directly to the output of the trainer jack and get reasonable comms with my Ipaq and Axim Pocket PC's. All I have on hand are some high power IR emmiters and I think I need some generic IRDa capable ones (1 meter max). I am being careful not to overdrive the outputs as I'm guessing the microcontroller producing these signals is probably only capable of sourcing 20-40ma at most.

I'm having trouble converting the bytes as they seem to be inverted but I should have that figured out soon unless someone does first.

No wires would be awesome! IR should work great for shooting a new program into the radio. I'll add a send and confirm program function to the software to accomodate the IR comms.
waqa is offline Find More Posts by waqa
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2009, 10:43 PM
Rouen (FRANCE)
Joined Nov 2003
69 Posts
Hi abbydown,

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbydawn
Some of us are having rather unbelievable range test results which makes us wonder if the button is actually doing the job it supposed to. Also I've found that if I hold the button down before turning the TX on there is no transmission until I release the button. Does that make sense? Maybe you could shed some light on how the dang thing technically performs a range test? One flyer flew to his visual limits, pressed the range button and still maintained control!
i don' t think that button does something on the range, it's like the contrast and memory model, it's only to bind with the receiver, i did not find anything about the little MCU FS8004 where the bind button goes, at power on this mcu check if bind is hold and enter in a program to match the receiver with the radio but i don't know how until we could doing reverse engineering on the program inside this MCU.
I should do some test in a few days using the RF section as a module on a Graupner MC12 without its 41 MHz quartz to see if i can send signal over 2.4GHz with the positive shift of the MC12.
I let you know if it works, i would send some photos too but i didn't get my camera back, i'll try to get it back to take a little video of the "working" test.

Géo .

PS: on a french forum, a guy made a software to program the turborix (there is a linux and windows version), screen is here http://cortexet.free.fr/elico/confiture.png
geotrouvetout is offline Find More Posts by geotrouvetout
Last edited by geotrouvetout; Feb 03, 2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2009, 11:51 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Compatibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLaw
A very simple question from a simpleton. Will this Tx bind with/to the Parkzone Rx found in the Vapor and Ember 2?
Short answer - No.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Feb 04, 2009, 06:10 AM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waqa
MoFI, thanks for pointing out the IR option. How could I have missed it, I must be getting senile .

I am already figuring out the issues. So far I can use 2 resistors and IR emmiter/detector pair connected directly to the output of the trainer jack and get reasonable comms with my Ipaq and Axim Pocket PC's. All I have on hand are some high power IR emmiters and I think I need some generic IRDa capable ones (1 meter max). I am being careful not to overdrive the outputs as I'm guessing the microcontroller producing these signals is probably only capable of sourcing 20-40ma at most.

I'm having trouble converting the bytes as they seem to be inverted but I should have that figured out soon unless someone does first.

No wires would be awesome! IR should work great for shooting a new program into the radio. I'll add a send and confirm program function to the software to accomodate the IR comms.
If you are plannig to use IR transceiver modules, as TFDS4500 or HSDL1001 (just google for datasheets), you'll need very few external components. You need to connect to the module not only the TXD and RXD signals, but to feed it from the +5V out in the trainer connector (I think it would be easy to fit all the circuit in a "dongle" style connector). If you have plain IR emitters and receivers and want to use them, then you'll need some more electronics, to inject the carrier, as in the link I posted before:
http://www.rentron.com/IR_TRANSCEIVER.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotrouvetout
Hi abbydown,

i don' t think that button does something on the range, it's like the contrast and memory model, it's only to bind with the receiver, i did not find anything about the little MCU FS8004 where the bind button goes, at power on this mcu check if bind is hold and enter in a program to match the receiver with the radio but i don't know how until we could doing reverse engineering on the program inside this MCU.
I should do some test in a few days using the RF section as a module on a Graupner MC12 without its 41 MHz quartz to see if i can send signal over 2.4GHz with the positive shift of the MC12.
I let you know if it works, i would send some photos too but i didn't get my camera back, i'll try to get it back to take a little video of the "working" test.

Géo .

PS: on a french forum, a guy made a software to program the turborix (there is a linux and windows version), screen is here http://cortexet.free.fr/elico/confiture.png
Géo, Could you please post a link to this french forum? I've tried the obvious http://cortexet.free.fr, but it doesn't seem to be related.

Related to the "range/bind" button, there isn't any information in the different manuals I`ve found related to range test, only to the binding procedure. Somebody posted that it might have a similar function than in Spectrum's system, but I really don't know how this system performs range tests. Maybe somebody who knows how it works in Spectrum could post it so we coud try to check it in Turborix.
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Old Feb 04, 2009, 09:25 AM
USA, TN, Fayetteville
Joined Dec 2004
878 Posts
I don't know about the forum, but the files are here.

http://cortexet.free.fr/elico/

Edit.... Found it...

http://forum.modelisme.com/p1544042-...dhui-2239.html

Translated...

Translated Link
madmike8 is offline Find More Posts by madmike8
Old Feb 04, 2009, 09:51 AM
Rouen (FRANCE)
Joined Nov 2003
69 Posts
Hi MoFl,

madmike8 post the right links, take care about the windows version there is to rename a DLL to make it running change in bin folder QtGui4.dll to QtGuid4.dll and execute helico, for linux it's the first one he has developped and it should work.

Géo .
Old Feb 04, 2009, 11:02 AM
have foam, will fly
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
278 Posts
Looking good Keepitsimple! More versions mean more choices for everyone.

If you haven't already figured it out, you can connect the Pocket PC emulator to the radios usb connection for coding and testing. When you plug the radio in it'll add a new com port. On mine it gets assigned com4. The pocket pc emulator maps its com2 to com4 on my pc so I can work directly with the radio signal. com2 is normally the IR port on the Ipaq.
waqa is offline Find More Posts by waqa
Old Feb 04, 2009, 11:23 AM
Rouen (FRANCE)
Joined Nov 2003
69 Posts
Quote:
Hi MoFl,

madmike8 post the right links, take care about the windows version there is to rename a DLL to make it running change in bin folder QtGui4.dll to QtGuid4.dll and execute helico, for linux it's the first one he has developped and it should work.

Géo .
a new release that should work, confiture V1.1.1, without changing anything

Géo .
Old Feb 04, 2009, 02:25 PM
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Sep 2008
76 Posts
Some other stuff

hello,

actually I dont use the transmitter for development.
As I mentiond before, I wrote a transmitter simulator.
It generates channeldata and can send and receive settings on a PC comport that is connected to the IPAQ.
The simulator can also read and write settings from/to file.
Of course these settings are not affecting the channeldata.(far to much work).
I probably will implement reading and writing a setting from/to file on the IPAQ.
I am now building a small flat pcb that can plugin directly on the back of the transmitter.
keepitsimple is offline Find More Posts by keepitsimple
Old Feb 04, 2009, 02:41 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Dinas Powys
Joined Jan 2005
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
Short answer - No.
AJ
Many thanks AJ. There appear to be only bind 'n fly Vapors/Embers at the moment here in the UK so the system would have been a good cheap option to provide a transmitter. Ah well, worth a try.

Like the dog. Mine will want her photo up now.
BatLaw is online now Find More Posts by BatLaw
Old Feb 05, 2009, 07:49 AM
Joined Dec 2006
9 Posts
HKT4A radio isn't programmable but extra channels will be excellent for flaps or landing gear. The positive signal sent has 6 channels..

Quote:
Hi,

This is a OTP chip, if the program has not be done to read 6 channel you can't get more from this radio.
To more channel, you have to make your own encoder with a PIC, AVR etc ..., i think it's a PPM from the encoder to the RF.

Géo .
chemax_t is offline Find More Posts by chemax_t
Last edited by chemax_t; Feb 06, 2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2009, 02:15 PM
Joined Sep 2008
112 Posts
"Somebody posted that it might have a similar function than in Spectrum's system, but I really don't know how this system performs range tests. Maybe somebody who knows how it works in Spectrum could post it so we coud try to check it in Turborix."

Spektrum manual says with model on ground walk back 30 metres and press the range test button. If this is also true for Turborix then all is OK for I've had full control walking back over a 100 metres.
abbydawn is offline Find More Posts by abbydawn
Old Feb 05, 2009, 02:19 PM
Vintage Flyer
Treasure Island, FL
Joined Jan 2002
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemax t
The positive signal sent has 6 channels..
The 6 modulation markers yields 5 channels, not 6... a channel is the space between two markers...

FenceMagnet is offline Find More Posts by FenceMagnet
Old Feb 05, 2009, 02:40 PM
Joined Dec 2006
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Wings
[*]There is a mystery jumper on the main board – no idea what for
This jumper is for Mode 1 or Mode 2 channel Assignment. Mine is Mode 2 (throttle left) and has the jumper in the lower position and Mode 1 has it on top.
chemax_t is offline Find More Posts by chemax_t
Last edited by chemax_t; Feb 05, 2009 at 02:48 PM.