HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2009, 09:16 PM
Joined Nov 2004
263 Posts
Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghutt
I've been attempting to build a Palm serial cable for field-programming my T6A, following ReSt's excellent instructions and diagram at Post 1201 of this thread. So far so good, using a Palm V modem's case as both my Palm-side plug and to house the RS232 circuit.
Sounds great. Post up some pics, as that should be a nice solution. If the modem is anything like the one I have for my old PalmIII, it'll lock nicely onto the Palm. That modem is already hacked for another application. I should really get another and do what you are doing, as it'd be nicer than trying to keep the Palm balanced on the cradle.
Quote:
As has been noted here before, a PS2 keyboard plug will work in the back of the T6A Tx with the plastic tab in the middle removed. With this in mind I cut the cord off an old keyboard planning to use cord and all for my project. No go.
I ran into the same problem. As others have stated, the S-video cable is the solution. Head to your local Dollarama, and pick one up for a buck, and your problem is solved.

BTW, we were down in Halifax area for the past week, checking out the sights from Halifax down to Liverpool. The weather was great, and we thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful coastline.
renns is offline Find More Posts by renns
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2009, 09:51 PM
Joined Apr 2007
46 Posts
Will you be travelling to Cape Breton? That's where I'm located and can help with info.
gkovachi is offline Find More Posts by gkovachi
Old Aug 09, 2009, 11:47 PM
Oakhurst, CA
Joined May 2006
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbite
The smaller one is for binding directly if you have good access to your Rx.
The larger one is to use if you have a three wire charging port that will accept that binding plug - might keep you from having to remove the Rx from your plane.
If the radio that you have is the 4 channel version here is a place for more info. - but since you seem to have a manual, it must be the 6 or 9 channel version - then this link is of no use to you.
However, you may have the 6 channel Rx that is sent with the 4 ch. Tx - then you could get some info for the Rx - just ignore the Tx info.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1051701
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkkennard
It's the binding plug, used so that the transmitter and "see" and bind to the receiver the first time.
Thank you for the information. I have a Turborix 6ch radio and several RXs that I plan to use in several helis. I am new to this 2.4 gear. The manual I have is not the best.
ronaldf is offline Find More Posts by ronaldf
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:47 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renns
Dave,

Sounds great. Post up some pics, as that should be a nice solution. If the modem is anything like the one I have for my old PalmIII, it'll lock nicely onto the Palm. That modem is already hacked for another application. I should really get another and do what you are doing, as it'd be nicer than trying to keep the Palm balanced on the cradle.
I ran into the same problem. As others have stated, the S-video cable is the solution. Head to your local Dollarama, and pick one up for a buck, and your problem is solved.

BTW, we were down in Halifax area for the past week, checking out the sights from Halifax down to Liverpool. The weather was great, and we thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful coastline.
Your idea has inspired me to do the same. I just bought a palm V modem on ebay and will cram the electronics for the cable into it. Should make for a much more elegant solution than the cradle.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Aug 10, 2009, 04:38 AM
Serial Construtcor
Brest, France
Joined Jul 2009
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reSpawn
Hello,
since this topic is way too big, I tried reading it but I failed.
I'm interested to use this pair of Tx/Rx to transmit digital data using an mcu connected at each end. Is it possible?
It can be achieved but not as easy as uart...
The transmitter only accept ppm input and it encode the time between pulse at the ÁS. There are 8 or 9 channel. the data are received in digital value with a 16 bits uart and transform into separate pwm channel. This is a one way transmission with no verification that the receiver is connected...

I think it will be cheaper and easier to use Xbee/Microchip or even TI modules. they all have librairies to develop small networks with two way transmit.
vinc29 is offline Find More Posts by vinc29
Old Aug 10, 2009, 09:50 AM
Halifax Electric Flyers Assoc
Halifax, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
315 Posts
Hi Renns - I'm really pleased you enjoyed yourself in Nova Scotia last week. This week is looking a fair bit wetter -- I think you picked your dates just right. Are you nearby?

Regarding my Palm V - transmitter project, I plan to post pictures and an account of the whole works once it's finished and working. The instructions on this thread are excellent but I'm an electronics hack. I know how to solder and how to follow a basic schematic, but if you ask me why the integrated circuit needs a polarized capacitor of no less than .1 microfarads on pin 16, well, I'm going to glaze over like you just did. I'm guessing there are others like me following this thread, so once it's working I intend to post instructions from that perspective.

Regarding the cord, I found an old PS2 extension cord in a box (don't know where I got it or why I still had it), and all 4 necessary pins were properly wired. I'm now using it, although sounds like a dollarstore s-video cable would have been a more elegant solution.

The thin Palm V modem offers limited space around the plug for the wires, but otherwise seems like it will work really well. I was able to cannibalize capacitors off the circuitboard for use with the max232 IC. The modem operated on 2 AAA's so I'm putting my circuit inside the battery compartment and leaving everything else intact. The pins on the Palm plug are numbered on the modem's board, which is handy. Pictures will follow.

At this point my circuit is not working though, and I'm not sure why. I have more troubleshooting to do, but for some reason the PalmTX.prc app is not seeing the connected transmitter. My voltmeter suggests a clue: the radio is only delivering 2.1 volts to the IC, although I'm getting 5.2v at the radio's "trainer" outlet, so I think something is backwards or mis-wired. I'll report here if further investigation doesn't get me anywhere.

Dave
dghutt is offline Find More Posts by dghutt
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:17 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Hi Renns - I'm really pleased you enjoyed yourself in Nova Scotia last week. This week is looking a fair bit wetter -- I think you picked your dates just right. Are you nearby?

Regarding my Palm V - transmitter project, I plan to post pictures and an account of the whole works once it's finished and working. The instructions on this thread are excellent but I'm an electronics hack. I know how to solder and how to follow a basic schematic, but if you ask me why the integrated circuit needs a polarized capacitor of no less than .1 microfarads on pin 16, well, I'm going to glaze over like you just did. I'm guessing there are others like me following this thread, so once it's working I intend to post instructions from that perspective.

Regarding the cord, I found an old PS2 extension cord in a box (don't know where I got it or why I still had it), and all 4 necessary pins were properly wired. I'm now using it, although sounds like a dollarstore s-video cable would have been a more elegant solution.

The thin Palm V modem offers limited space around the plug for the wires, but otherwise seems like it will work really well. I was able to cannibalize capacitors off the circuitboard for use with the max232 IC. The modem operated on 2 AAA's so I'm putting my circuit inside the battery compartment and leaving everything else intact. The pins on the Palm plug are numbered on the modem's board, which is handy. Pictures will follow.

At this point my circuit is not working though, and I'm not sure why. I have more troubleshooting to do, but for some reason the PalmTX.prc app is not seeing the connected transmitter. My voltmeter suggests a clue: the radio is only delivering 2.1 volts to the IC, although I'm getting 5.2v at the radio's "trainer" outlet, so I think something is backwards or mis-wired. I'll report here if further investigation doesn't get me anywhere.

Dave
I had to reverse the tx and rx wires after following this diagram.

The problem I had with the svideo cables I had was the lack of a connection to the metal plug on the outside.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:08 AM
Joined Jul 2009
648 Posts
Quote:
My voltmeter suggests a clue: the radio is only delivering 2.1 volts to the IC, although I'm getting 5.2v at the radio's "trainer" outlet, so I think something is backwards or mis-wired. I'll report here if further investigation doesn't get me anywhere.

Dave
Hi Dave,

plug in your circuit at the trainer port.
Don't switch on the TX, leave it powered off.
Setup your voltmeter to measure resistance. Use the lowest range (e.g.200 Ohm).

Measure the resistance

from pin2 at the port to pin 16 of the IC

from the solderpoint at the port, that corresponds to ground or -5Volt (black wire) to pin 15 of the IC

Both readings should be nearly 0 Ohm.

If one measure shows a higher value, that is probably your problem.

Reinhard
ReSt is offline Find More Posts by ReSt
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:52 AM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial
I had to reverse the tx and rx wires after following this diagram.

The problem I had with the svideo cables I had was the lack of a connection to the metal plug on the outside.
The ground wire on S-video is the outside connection. The other 4 are the pins.
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:58 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus
Right but there was no wire that was connected to the outside metal "ring" in the s-video cable I had. The PS/2 cable I ended up using had a wire that is connected to that ring as tested by the ohm meter.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:14 PM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus
A cheap premade S-Video cable has grounds on pins 1 & 2, with Luma on pin 3 and chroma on pin 4.

A slightly better premade S-Video cable will also have ground on the connector shield, but also tied to pins 1 & 2.

In either case, you'd have to hack off the molded plastic strain relief to get at all the pins, unless you happen to get a cable with an overall shield connected to the barrel, and two coax cables each connected to pins 1 & 3, and 2 & 4.

What I suggested was an S-Video connector designed to be used for making your own cables, which are available for under $2 at Digikey, from eBay, or I can buy them locally at an electronics supply store for about $4 each.

It is also sometimes listed as a male 4 pin mini-DIN connector.
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Old Aug 10, 2009, 06:20 PM
Joined Jun 2008
75 Posts
Inopo AFM1 transmitter converted to 2.4GHz using the HobbyKing 2.4Ghz module

I had planned to convert the older AFM1 I have after successfully converting the AFM2.

The Inopo AFM1 and 2 where a great starting point since they are computer radios with 10 model memory and many settings. They are also available on the Internet bundled together with cheap Mini-z clones.

Yesterday I found some time to do the conversion.

Everything went great even though the PCB layout was very different on the AFM1. It does not have the module slot found in the AFM2 and the main PCB is very different.

I bought the HobbyKing 2.4GHz module this time instead of the 4ch transmitter (cheaper) and desoldered the RF-module from the main board that houses the bind button and voltage regulator logic.

When I opened the AF1 I was met with a PCB that looked much worse than the AFM2. It had sloppy soldering, dirt, fingerprints etc. all over the PCB. A sad sight I really hope for the workers that the AFM2 and later reflects improvements in working conditions!

The AFM1 had a RF board connected to the main board through three wires marked as GND, RF and Volt. I tested these signals and the PPM (FM) seemed to be similar to the levels experienced in the AFM2, but the volt showed ~11v (most likely the remaining battery voltage as shown on the lcd display) I started to look at the main board in the hope of finding a point marked with 5v and was extremely pleased when I found several 5v markings! That made my job much easier.

I removed the RF board and the wires connecting the board and soldered the 5v, gnd and ppm signals to the 2.4GHz board using the existing solder tabs that had been in use for the old PPM and GND wires.

I also added a standard battery on/off switch where the AM crystal used to be with hot glue after having removed some of the internal plastics to make the switch more accessible. The bind switch was then soldered to the Bind pin and GND pin on the 2.4GHz.

I initially thought about creating a bind plug similar to the one that is delivered with the 6CH HobbyKing receiver and actually made it using an old three pin servo cable that was cut down to two holes and soldered together. It worked great but was rejected when I got the idea about mounting the switch in the crystal opening.

Unlike the AFM2 I also had to Dremel out some of the plastic in the antenna opening since the molding was a little different (deeper). It was a quick job and I the used a good amount of hot glue to fasten the 2.4GHz antenna in place.

That was all. I have now assembled the transmitter and tested it successfully

PS: I suggest that people buy the 3ch 2.4GHz FlySky made pistol grip transmitter instead of buying and converting an AFM1/2/3. This post is meant as a build log for people with old unused AFM1 transmitters. The FlySky transmitter uses the same rebadged HobbyKing 2.4GHz module that I butchered to mount in the AFM1. It is at least available (although out of stock) as an Eurgle branded transmitter at r2hobbies.com.
kjetilei is offline Find More Posts by kjetilei
Old Aug 10, 2009, 07:53 PM
Halifax Electric Flyers Assoc
Halifax, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
315 Posts
Functioning Palm V <> T6A connection

With thanks to the generous flyers on this forum, most critically ReSt, I'm pleased to report that I now have a functioning connection between the Palm V (using PalmTX.prc) and my Hobbyking T6A transmitter. I'm as happy as a gopher in soft dirt. ReSt's Palm app and description are at Post 1181 of this thread. His wiring diagram for the cable is attached to Post 1201. I had some initial problems but ReSt's suggestion that I test resistance led me to discover I'd mislabelled the 5v power wire; now I'm good to go.

By way of background, when I saw ReSt's original posts I dug out my old Palm Vx from a drawer, running Palm OS 3.5. Based on a suggestion from Renns on this thread I bought a Palm V modem on Ebay for 99 cents, to gut and use both as my Palm-side plug and to house the max232 circuit. Inside I found lots of space in the battery bay for the Max232 circuit and capacitors I could scavenge.

I've added commentary to the photos below, which I hope are useful to others.

With this relatively easy and inexpensive combo I can now easily field-program the transmitter, meaning I can use it for all my models if I like. To me this significantly narrows the gap between this cheap radio system and the fancy ones. Thanks again.

Dave

EDIT: I had the Palm pins virtually all wrong, although strangely it still kind-of worked. The Palm's pinouts do not correspond to regular Din-9; rather than using pins 2, 3 and 5 per ReSt's drawing (correctly referencing the Din-9 pinout), the Palm uses pins 3 and 5 for rx / tx, and 10 for ground. Once I got that figured out everything fell into place. I've added the Palm V cradle / plug pinout as an attachment. Sorry if my post misled anyone. D
dghutt is offline Find More Posts by dghutt
Last edited by dghutt; Sep 10, 2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:05 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Nicely done. My ebay modem shipped today so I should have a nice little project for the weekend.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:38 PM
Joined Nov 2004
263 Posts
Yes, very nice work and pics. That should make it easy for others to duplicate. I'm no longer in NS. Our scheduled departure happened just when the rain started, lucky for us!
renns is offline Find More Posts by renns