HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2009, 01:39 PM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2007
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Stick 3D
So it really doesn't matter.. I can use 8 AA's just fine? Or is there a problem with the regulators? My DX7, DX7SE, JR93032.4, and the Futaba 7C I had all used 8 cell's

Thanks,
Devin
8 cells works fine for most people, although there have been reports of dodgy regulators. I think that Spektrum had a similar problem on some of their Txs.

The point of the 4-cell mod is to save weight, money and get longer battery life. With the original 8 cells, you put 9.6 to 12v in, and the Tx regulates it down to 5v. The surplus is wasted as heat.
Add 2 wires and use 4 cells, put in 4.8 to 6v and use it all. No wasted energy, less weight and less batteries to buy.
An added bonus is that you get longer on one charge. I put 4 2100NiMH in last night. They ran for just over 8 hours before it stopped transmitting. The starting voltage was 5.4v, so they weren't even fully charged.
clockworks is offline Find More Posts by clockworks
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2009, 01:53 PM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2007
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFl
Hi, Ed

I compared your photos with earlwb's and leadwings', in the hope there was a difference regarding jumpers or unused switches, but I couldn't find what I expected, so my guess is your radio has a different FW than the 4 ch one.

Anyway, as there's nothing to loose, I'd give a try shorting the pads of the unused switch. This one is routed to MCU's pin 19, called "MIX" at the schematic, so there's a slight possibility that changing it's state disables heli mixes (see attachments).

The possibility of reprogramming the FW is allways there, but it's not an easy task. This MCU is not as widely known as PICs or ATMELs. In case you decide to go that way, I think it would be better to discard the encoder board and use one of the "open source" encoder designs available (e.g. at the DIY electronics subforum).

In case the previous idea doesn't work, you can allways use the RF module in other radios. There's a lot of info in this thread, but you can save a lot of reading with the hack guide compiled by leadwings.
Ed's trying to build a pistolgrip Tx with at least 4 channels. His current pistol Txs only have 3 channels, so he can't just use the 2.4GHz RF board and Rx.

It's a real pain that only one manufacturer produces a 4ch pistol Tx (Futaba), and it's ridiculously expensive - over $500!

There's a lot of interest in converting aircraft Txs into pistolgrip cases in monster truck and rock crawling circles. Most surface vehicle drivers/racers don't like sticks, but need the channels.

We need 2 channels for steering, with mixes and switches to swap between front, rear, both the same way and both opposite ways, with the control for both channels coming from one pot.
The Turborix 6ch can do this, with the addition of a switch and 2 mixes. I've figured it all out, just waiting for a suitable pistol case to arrive in the post.
I've already built a 6ch pistol Tx, using a DX6i and a KO Mars. Works fine, but is an expensive option.

The Tx that Ed bought would've worked, by replacing the steering pot with a dual-gang, plus some switches. Unfortunately, the seller he bought it from didn't advertise the fact that it was a heli Tx. The permanent mixes make it useless for a truck.

Lets hope your idea about using the "mix" line to disable them works.
Old Aug 03, 2009, 10:37 PM
United States, NH, Manchester
Joined Sep 2004
222 Posts
HobbyKing 2.4GHz Satellite Rx Protocol

Does anyone know how to interface directly to the HobbyKing 2.4GHz Satellite Rx – specifically;
- What the pulse sequence is to direct it to bind?
- Once bound, what sequence is sent to it to get it to begin sending data?
- How the data stream is encoded?
- How to convert this steam to PPM?

I would like to try and make a short-range stand-alone receiver to drive standard servos as it is so small and cheap.
CitizenKane is online now Find More Posts by CitizenKane
Old Aug 03, 2009, 10:44 PM
Colombia, Caldas, Manizales
Joined Oct 2007
91 Posts
i just recieved mine, and when i was trying the mixes in the pc program something happened, the channels 5 and 6 didn't respond, at the beggining they were working, but after i programmed 2 mixes they stopped working, i turn off the mixes but they are the same, hope they aren't broken or something, has somebody experienced something similar???
choza is offline Find More Posts by choza
Old Aug 03, 2009, 11:13 PM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenKane
Does anyone know how to interface directly to the HobbyKing 2.4GHz Satellite Rx – specifically;

I would like to try and make a short-range stand-alone receiver to drive standard servos as it is so small and cheap.
Just use the main receiver without the satellite. You can remove the case to save some weight if necessary. Others have posted the circuit boards of the main and satellite receivers, and the satellite consists of an RF board. The main receiver consists of an indentical RF board and a second logic board that receives data from both RF boards and drives the servos.

If what you wanted to do with the satellite receiver was even possible, you'd spend more money on parts and fabrication than you'd save by simply buying more stock receivers and throwing away the satellites.
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Old Aug 03, 2009, 11:16 PM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choza
i just recieved mine, and when i was trying the mixes in the pc program something happened, the channels 5 and 6 didn't respond, at the beggining they were working, but after i programmed 2 mixes they stopped working, i turn off the mixes but they are the same, hope they aren't broken or something, has somebody experienced something similar???
Try this:
Mix 1
Source: VR A
Des: CH5
Up Rate: 100%
Down Rate: 100%
Switch: ON

Mix 2
Source: VR B
Des: CH6
Up Rate: 100%
Down Rate: 100%
Switch: ON

That should make channels 5 and 6 work. When you made your two mixes, you wiped out the above factory mixes.
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Old Aug 04, 2009, 03:12 AM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2007
110 Posts
I fell for this problem too. I made 2 mixes and channels 5 and 6 stopped working. Took me a while to figure it out.

Because I need to use 2 mixes linking ch1 to ch4, I can't use ch6. Is it possible to modify the Tx so that i can do the following:

Mix 1 = ch1 to ch4
Mix 2 = ch1 to ch4 reversed
Mix 3 = VRA to ch5
VRB or a new switch to ch6

It'd be nice if channel 6 was proportional, but a simple on/off switch would be better than nothing.
Old Aug 04, 2009, 03:36 AM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
I posted my system in the for sale section.. Don't have time to mess with it.. got my DX7SE.. I'm happy
Speed Stick 3D is offline Find More Posts by Speed Stick 3D
Old Aug 04, 2009, 07:38 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,066 Posts
Ahhh, Speed Stick:
You are no fun anymore
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Aug 04, 2009, 07:39 AM
España, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenKane

The subject has been treated in this thread, last time at pages 94-97. Specifically posts 1427 & 1429.

I think it's difficult to make a receiver cheaper than these, but it would be interesting to develop one with added features (failsafe, for example) maybe designing a new motherboard and keeping the satellite and daugtherboards as they are (and this implies decoding the protocol...).

Talking about cheap receivers, R2hobbies is selling the 3 ch Flysky (HK-Turborix-Eurgle...) compatible receiver.
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Old Aug 04, 2009, 07:43 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,066 Posts
Whew! They are gonna pay US to order them if the price gets any lower.
Whoops, OUT OF STOCK.
Humm....

If someone here, develops one with failsafe and posts the code, then it may appear, implemented, from China.
Has anyone seen that kind of technology feedback on RCGroups?

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Aug 04, 2009, 07:56 AM
Serial Construtcor
Brest, France
Joined Jul 2009
14 Posts
I'm working on it. I hope it will be done for the end of the month:
1) how to config in binding mode
2) how to read binding code
3) how to config in receive mode
4) add fun stuff (failsafe, leds, multiplexed channels...)

In that way you can keep the 6 channel receiver and convert one or more satelite in what you want
vinc29 is offline Find More Posts by vinc29
Old Aug 04, 2009, 08:32 AM
United States, NH, Manchester
Joined Sep 2004
222 Posts
‘vinc29’ – very exciting, I will be checking back daily!

‘F-111 John’/’Mo-Fl’ –you are probably right but I would like to have one that I can experiment with if I can handle the data stream with a PIC micro.
CitizenKane is online now Find More Posts by CitizenKane
Old Aug 04, 2009, 10:20 AM
Serial Construtcor
Brest, France
Joined Jul 2009
14 Posts
You would be able to handle it with a PIC, if you implement an uart timer which can switch in 8 bits transmitter and 16 bits receiver on the same pin
vinc29 is offline Find More Posts by vinc29
Old Aug 04, 2009, 10:51 AM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
hard to beat this price:

http://www.snhobbies.com/product_inf...roducts_id=511
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus