HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2009, 07:47 PM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
my spektrum uses 12 volt, along with my Futaba! what is this 4 cell mod do to the Turborix tx?
Speed Stick 3D is offline Find More Posts by Speed Stick 3D
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2009, 07:55 PM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Stick 3D
my spektrum uses 12 volt, along with my Futaba! what is this 4 cell mod do to the Turborix tx?
The 4-cell mod bypasses the voltage regulators and delivers a nominal 5V directly to the radio.

In theory it's not such a good idea (since the fully-charged voltage from a 4-cell pack can get as high as 5.8V which is outside the rated specifications for some of the components used) but in practice it seems to work just fine.

Most older radios (pre 2.4GHz) are 12V because this extra voltage was needed in order to generate enough power on the normal FM/PCM frequencies. With the shirt to 2.4GHz however, virtually all the components run at 2.5, 3.3 or 5V so most of that extra voltage is wasted when you throw a 2.4GHz module or transmitter circuit in there.
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old Aug 02, 2009, 07:59 PM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2007
110 Posts
These radios are retailing at $30, so the ex-factory price is probably $20 or less. Re-tooling the moulds and fitting a decent battery pack could double the price.

I'm sure that the Chinese will catch on soon and their product will improve. They already make a lot of parts and some complete units for the big brands, so they have the knowledge, they just need the marketing savvy.

I wonder if the Chinese keep their best RC gear, possibly borrowed from Spektrum designs, for the home market, and off-load the cheap stuff on the West?

I can remember when all the Japanese could do was copy American and Russian electronics, and European cars and motorbikes. Within 20 years, they dominated the market.

The Koreans are now beating the Japanese for design and price.
The Chinese won't be far behind.
clockworks is offline Find More Posts by clockworks
Old Aug 02, 2009, 08:02 PM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2007
110 Posts
Quote:
The latest Spektrum radios (DX6i) work on 4 cells.
clockworks is offline Find More Posts by clockworks
Old Aug 02, 2009, 08:13 PM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
So it really doesn't matter.. I can use 8 AA's just fine? Or is there a problem with the regulators? My DX7, DX7SE, JR93032.4, and the Futaba 7C I had all used 8 cell's

Thanks,
Devin
Old Aug 02, 2009, 08:31 PM
Joined Jul 2009
12 Posts
here are the pics, sorry it took so long. i am trying to make it work for my rc truck, but it seems that it is for heli use. is there any way to make it work?? reprogram it somehow or buy a new chip and rebuild the main board to make it work with 2.4ghz? i have 2 tq3 tx's and i dont mind hacking them, just would like at least 4 channels on 2.4ghz. i dont know much about what can and cant be done, but i have seen some people doing some things that make me think this can be done on rcgroups forums. is there anyway to convert the tq3 to 2.4ghz with what i have? if not i will try what this guy did... only i will make it not so hard on the eyes!

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...=190457&page=4 - post #66

what i am trying to accomplish is:

1. disable(center) rear servo and steer with just front
2. disable(center) front servo and steer w/ rear only
3. 4WS in same direction (crabwalk)
4. 4WS in opposite direction (normal 4WS)
5. all controlled by 1 steering stick or wheel
6. a channel for shifting a 2 speed tranny (any 2pole switch should work)
edwalsh18 is offline Find More Posts by edwalsh18
Old Aug 03, 2009, 04:30 AM
Joined Jul 2009
2 Posts
Quote:
Anyone know a fix for usb not being recognized? Help apreciated!!

Thanks
plug the controller in powered up and ask windows to do an update might choose the custom option on updates and look for hardware should give you an option for a usb to serial should work dont use wifi receiver will interfere with internet big time
joemanc is offline Find More Posts by joemanc
Old Aug 03, 2009, 04:44 AM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Sony Clie S300

I just resurrected an old Sony Clie and installed the palm program on it. Its runs fine, asking for the tx to be plugged in and turned on.

Looking at this:

http://euroclie.free.fr/Uk/cable.html

It looks like I will just need to connect pin 12 to 13 with a ~50k ohm resister to activate serial, and then pins 4 and 6 will be my points to connect to MAX232A.

Any thoughts why this wouldn't work?

Now to get my hands on a Flysky 6ch radio...

Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Last edited by Telemachus; Aug 03, 2009 at 04:49 AM.
Old Aug 03, 2009, 04:52 AM
anarchist
Joined Jan 2008
6,907 Posts
Quote:
XP pro, Service Pack 3

Thanks
this is what i am using and i have no problems.....i don't know what to say...it's unlikely you fried the cable so you have to look in device manager and see if the cable is showing up there.

frac
frac is offline Find More Posts by frac
Old Aug 03, 2009, 05:02 AM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
It shows up as Unknown device in device manager.. hold on, Ill take some screen shots
Old Aug 03, 2009, 05:14 AM
anarchist
Joined Jan 2008
6,907 Posts
Quote:
It shows up as Unknown device in device manager.. hold on, Ill take some screen shots
the fact that it shows up as unknown means the driver is not working.also check that it is enabled. i am not the person to ask for windows advice since i use linux almost exclusively, except for t6config and eagletree and i never had a problem with either of those

melnic(www.mycoolheli.com) has i think pointers to the latest drivers or elsewhere in this thread they are listed.

btw wth are *you* doing with this radio??!!!???

frac
frac is offline Find More Posts by frac
Old Aug 03, 2009, 05:31 AM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
haha, I wanted to try it out after seeing so many people use it! Do you use Ubuntu? I love Ubuntu I saw his videos! The device is enabled and drivers are installed.. I have no idea why its not working! I tried it on my dads PC and his laptop! They all do the same thing! Im lost now
Old Aug 03, 2009, 06:01 AM
Espaņa, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwalsh18
here are the pics, sorry it took so long. i am trying to make it work for my rc truck, but it seems that it is for heli use. is there any way to make it work?? reprogram it somehow or buy a new chip and rebuild the main board to make it work with 2.4ghz?
Hi, Ed

I compared your photos with earlwb's and leadwings', in the hope there was a difference regarding jumpers or unused switches, but I couldn't find what I expected, so my guess is your radio has a different FW than the 4 ch one.

Anyway, as there's nothing to loose, I'd give a try shorting the pads of the unused switch. This one is routed to MCU's pin 19, called "MIX" at the schematic, so there's a slight possibility that changing it's state disables heli mixes (see attachments).

The possibility of reprogramming the FW is allways there, but it's not an easy task. This MCU is not as widely known as PICs or ATMELs. In case you decide to go that way, I think it would be better to discard the encoder board and use one of the "open source" encoder designs available (e.g. at the DIY electronics subforum).

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwalsh18
i have 2 tq3 tx's and i dont mind hacking them, just would like at least 4 channels on 2.4ghz. i dont know much about what can and cant be done, but i have seen some people doing some things that make me think this can be done on rcgroups forums. is there anyway to convert the tq3 to 2.4ghz with what i have? if not i will try what this guy did... only i will make it not so hard on the eyes!

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...=190457&page=4 - post #66
In case the previous idea doesn't work, you can allways use the RF module in other radios. There's a lot of info in this thread, but you can save a lot of reading with the hack guide compiled by leadwings.
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Old Aug 03, 2009, 06:33 AM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
Heres a little write up I did on the turborix system from airlandseahobbies.. I published it on my website, instead of posting it here..

http://3dheli.webs.com/apps/forums/t...stem?page=last

Thanks,
Devin
Old Aug 03, 2009, 09:40 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworks
These radios are retailing at $30, so the ex-factory price is probably $20 or less. Re-tooling the moulds and fitting a decent battery pack could double the price.

I'm sure that the Chinese will catch on soon and their product will improve. They already make a lot of parts and some complete units for the big brands, so they have the knowledge, they just need the marketing savvy.
My guess is WAY less than $10 for the ex-factory price with a big fraction of that cost being in the case.
I think there are a LOT of greedy in between people.
I think all it will take is for an inexpensive 4 cell case to become available to the radio factory, then we will see what we want. Just give them time and they will come through - making changes to the case is probabaly not an option at the cottage industry level, eh?
Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli