HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2009, 12:06 PM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
Several times! I tried it both on my laptop and PC!

Thanks
Speed Stick 3D is offline Find More Posts by Speed Stick 3D
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2009, 12:12 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
I suppose its worth opening up and taking a look

I was rushing. i started working on this model at about 8am and was installing the electronics at about 5. wasn't thinking clearly.
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old Aug 02, 2009, 12:16 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
heres what i was building

Old Aug 02, 2009, 12:19 PM
anarchist
Joined Jan 2008
6,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Stick 3D
Several times! I tried it both on my laptop and PC!

Thanks
which OS
frac is offline Find More Posts by frac
Old Aug 02, 2009, 12:21 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFl
I've even seen 6 V caps in these receivers, somebody reported they blew with a 6 V BEC.

The good news is, after desoldering the capacitors, the RX was still working.

Maybe this could be captaingeek's case. The bubble is, more or less, where the capacitor is.
He has to put a new one in didnt he?
Old Aug 02, 2009, 12:23 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb
captain geek.
Major bummer there. How in the heck did you manage to hook up the receiver directly to the Lipo pack? You likely killed the servos as well with 12v applied to them.
The receivers are only rated to 5v. Anything over that is not good. They typically only have capacitors that are rated for around 6v, so even using 6 volts may be too much for them.
To use a ESC without a BEC built in, then you have to use a separate UBEC to provide the 5 volts from the same battery pack. You could use a Lipo pack for the motor and a separate nicad 4.8v reciever pack, or a smaller separate Lipo pack with a UBEC to drop the voltage down to safe levels for the receiver and servos.

The bubble on the receiver case implies the little voltage regulator inside burned up. If you have some electronics skills, you might be able to replace the voltage regulator and maybe a power input filter cap and get the receiver working again. They are probably using a small 3v regulator in there, nothing fancy considering how much the receiver costs. The regulator would protected the small mcu chip inside.
thanks for this. any idea where i could find an appropriate voltage regulator? radio shack?
Old Aug 02, 2009, 12:30 PM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
XP pro, Service Pack 3

Thanks
Old Aug 02, 2009, 01:18 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
did you install the usb to seriel driver? look through this thread for installtion issues.

looks like3 of the caps blew any idea what the values of these are? im goiing to try to replace...
Old Aug 02, 2009, 01:22 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
looks like these caps blew sky high. doesn't look like any of the other components blew though (chips / or vr)
Old Aug 02, 2009, 01:38 PM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
yes, I installed the drivers! It worked the first time! But now It doesn't! I just installed T6config and drivers on my other laptop! Once again recognized first time, but doesn't the 2nd time!
Old Aug 02, 2009, 01:48 PM
Espaņa, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek
looks like these caps blew sky high. doesn't look like any of the other components blew though (chips / or vr)
Mmmm, I'm afraid those are bad news, as one of the blown caps is one connected at the output of the regulator, this meaning that the regulator got shorted and passed the full 3s LiPo voltage to the other chips. I'm afraid there are low chances that they could stand it (for example the 24c08 eeprom stands 5.5 volts max).

There's also another regulator and cap at the bottom of the "daughterboard", and at the satellite, that might have had the same (mis)fortune.
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Old Aug 02, 2009, 01:50 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
Quote:
What happend to the antenna ? its almost cut of in the beggining..
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Aug 02, 2009, 01:54 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,066 Posts
Quote:
He has to put a new one in didnt he?
If only the cap upstream of the regulator blew, you can usually get away without the cap if you unsolder it - the reason being that the cap just provides a smoothing role to the incoming voltage - by removing the cap that may be now providing a short circuit, you can usually see that the rest of the circuit still works if you don't have a noisy voltage source (wouldn't be a good long term solution, though).
But as MoFl says: bad news that the down stream cap blew too.
You can try it, but don't expect too much.
Walt
Kokopeli is online now Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Aug 02, 2009, 07:10 PM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2007
110 Posts
Thanks to JMP blackfoot. I just installed the 4-cell mod on my Turborix 6ch and it's working perfectly. I'm using 2100 "instant" NiMH cells, and it's still working fine after nearly 8 hours continuous use.

Plan is to use the electronics to build a low cost 6ch pistolgrip Tx for crawling. See the thread on RC Crawlers:here

One of the control mods on test:
[IMG][/IMG]

And a pic of my previous conversion - DX6i into KO Mars:
[IMG][/IMG]
clockworks is offline Find More Posts by clockworks
Old Aug 02, 2009, 07:41 PM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
Isn't it amazing that the Chinese continue to release new products that are spec'd for use with 9.6V-12V transmitter packs when up to 75% of that energy will be wasted as heat?

It really calls into question whether they truly understand what they're doing.

Given the low-cost of protected Li-Ion cells and chargers for them, you'd think they'd have switched to such batteries and sell even this low-cost gear with them as standard equipment. It would add less than $15 to the price and result in a lower total cost to the customer (who otherwise has to buy their own 8-cell NiMH or 3S Lipo and charger).

The first Chinese manufacturer who hires a business/product-savvy consultant who has a good understanding of the market and its users could make a fortune by producing a really good product that ticks all the boxes and is delivered at a drop-dead price with good QC.

Right now, the Chinese seem to just be focused on price and nothing else.

That's one reason that there are still a lot more Futaba , JR and Spektrum radios at our fields than Chinese-brand ones.
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet