HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2009, 03:06 PM
LI, NY,
Joined Oct 2008
1,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFFF
Has anyone had trouble with SN Hobbies? I ordered spare FlySky TX (Only) from them on July 23rd and payed with paypal, so they have my money, but the order is still in processing. Are they always so slow to ship things?

BlueFFF
I emailed them asking weather or not they would be getting any more Tx/Rx combo's in and they said they didn't expect more in any time soon however they answered my emials right away.

I would email them and ask em whats up.
reacher10 is offline Find More Posts by reacher10
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2009, 05:24 PM
Joined Apr 2007
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFFF
Has anyone had trouble with SN Hobbies? I ordered spare FlySky TX (Only) from them on July 23rd and payed with paypal, so they have my money, but the order is still in processing. Are they always so slow to ship things?

BlueFFF

I ordered a Turborix 6 ch. transmitter on July 24th and emailed them on the 28th to see if it had been shipped because the order status said "processing." They promptly replied to my email and said it already had been shipped and gave me the tracking number. I checked with Canada Post and it was indeed shipped on the 27th. I just checked my order status again at the SN Hobbies website and it still says, "processing." Maybe yours has already been shipped also.
gkovachi is offline Find More Posts by gkovachi
Old Aug 01, 2009, 06:01 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
gkovachi,
Yes it has shipped! I just got a reply from them with the tracking info. Looks like it arrived in the Washington on the 28th and is in route to Texas now. USPS does not provide very detailed tracking of packages, but it should be here early this coming week I think.

Thanks everyone for listening,
BlueFFF

PS. I hope this TX works better then my last. I still need to convert it to 4 cell operation to see if that will fix it.
BlueFFF is offline Find More Posts by BlueFFF
Old Aug 01, 2009, 11:02 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,077 Posts
after spending the day building a f22 prop in a slot scratchbuilt i blew my turborix receiver while trying to hook it up to a new esc. the esc doesnt provide power to the radio. i hooked my lipo battery up directly to the receiver and it smoked.

im dead in the water until i can order a new one.

captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old Aug 01, 2009, 11:25 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,077 Posts
you can see the little bubble that burned up. i suppose these radios cant handle 3s lipo directly

captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Last edited by captaingeek; Aug 01, 2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2009, 01:23 AM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
A 3S lipo is 12+V when freshly charged, more than a budget receiver is designed to handle.

Chances are that you blew a regulator or even a capacitor (they're probably only using 10V caps).

Why on earth did you hook a 3S lipo to the receiver anyway -- it would also toast your servos PDQ.
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old Aug 02, 2009, 03:37 AM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
hey guys! I just got a 6ch system and hooked it to my computer it found new hardware and worked in T6config the first time.. now when i plug the cable in it says "USB Device not recognized" im sure there is a fix for this but don't feel like reading through all these pages!

Thanks,
Devin
Speed Stick 3D is offline Find More Posts by Speed Stick 3D
Old Aug 02, 2009, 03:47 AM
Espaņa, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJet
A 3S lipo is 12+V when freshly charged, more than a budget receiver is designed to handle.

Chances are that you blew a regulator or even a capacitor (they're probably only using 10V caps).

Why on earth did you hook a 3S lipo to the receiver anyway -- it would also toast your servos PDQ.
I've even seen 6 V caps in these receivers, somebody reported they blew with a 6 V BEC.

The good news is, after desoldering the capacitors, the RX was still working.

Maybe this could be captaingeek's case. The bubble is, more or less, where the capacitor is.
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Old Aug 02, 2009, 04:02 AM
Espaņa, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-111 John
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFl
edwalsh18 posted at RCuniverse some photos of a different version of the Flysky system.

It seems much like the 4 ch systems (apparently, same motherboard), but with 2 extra channels driven by 2 switches on then top (Gear + ??).

Maybe this leads to the possibility of adding 2 extra channels to the 4 ch systems.
I'm not registered at RC Universe, so I'll have to answer your question there, here. From the first pic that Ed posted there, the right switch is labeled "Idel" with an S and an F denoting the two switch directions.

I have thought of a simple way to substitute a gear switch for one of the VR knobs, if that function is important to anyone. The VR pot is 5K, so all it takes is replacing the VR pot with a SPDT toggle switch and two 5K resistors.

Solder one 5K resistor from one end of the switch to the center pole, and do the same with the other 5K resistor from the other end to the center pole. Then remove the three wires from the VR and attach them to the switch in the same order.

Flip the switch one direction, it's the same as having the VR fully CCW. Flip the switch the other direction, and it's as if the pot were fully CW. Then through programming you can adjust endpoints and mix percentages.

{Edit}
I knew I've seen that 6 channel radio before. There was one for sale here in the Radio FS/W forum a while back. It is a 6 channel 2.4 GHz that is permanently programmed to 120 degree swashplate heli mode, and was part of a RTF heli package.

FS/W thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1049280
Hi, John

What I meant was adding 2 extra channels to the 4 ch system, not modifying the 6 ch unit. The mainboard of that heli radio is exactly the same as the HK 4 ch (and different form the 6 ch one with knobs).

The problem is this 6 ch (the one with switches and same mainboard as 4 ch) is heli only, meaning mixes are not easily disableed (according to edwalsh18, and also after googling HDX6I), but could be these mixes are controlled by one of the uninstalled switches (see attachments), that might be jumpered in the heli version. Maybe we can check if edwalsh18 posts some more photos.

The key here is if it's the same mainboard with different firmwares, or only one firmware that reacts depending on these switches.
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Old Aug 02, 2009, 05:59 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFl
I've even seen 6 V caps in these receivers, somebody reported they blew with a 6 V BEC.

The good news is, after desoldering the capacitors, the RX was still working.

Maybe this could be captaingeek's case. The bubble is, more or less, where the capacitor is.
EEEKKK! Six volt caps in a device that is specked to six volts - doesn't seem like the designers have heard of design margin (or the margin is zero). Guess it might be prudent to swap out that one cap that is directly across the battery input for one that is ten volts or so, eh?
Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Aug 02, 2009, 06:19 AM
Dan Thompson (MP8K developer)
USA, KY, Paris
Joined Dec 2002
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbite
EEEKKK! Six volt caps in a device that is specked to six volts - doesn't seem like the designers have heard of design margin (or the margin is zero). Guess it might be prudent to swap out that one cap that is directly across the battery input for one that is ten volts or so, eh?
Walt
Caps are typically rated in working volts. So a 6 volt cap is designed to work continously at 6 volts. There is a margin built in to that design. However a 5 cell pack fresh off charge can be as high as 7.35 volts until the charge peak is drained off. You would need the cap spec sheet to determine how much over load it could stand for how long.

You are correct in that cap probably should be higher than 6 volts rated. I have found that no matter how much design margin you design in, a modeler somewhere will exceed it.
Iflyj3 is offline Find More Posts by Iflyj3
Old Aug 02, 2009, 06:21 AM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
Anyone know a fix for usb not being recognized? Help apreciated!!

Thanks
Speed Stick 3D is offline Find More Posts by Speed Stick 3D
Old Aug 02, 2009, 07:24 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,708 Posts
captain geek.
Major bummer there. How in the heck did you manage to hook up the receiver directly to the Lipo pack? You likely killed the servos as well with 12v applied to them.
The receivers are only rated to 5v. Anything over that is not good. They typically only have capacitors that are rated for around 6v, so even using 6 volts may be too much for them.
To use a ESC without a BEC built in, then you have to use a separate UBEC to provide the 5 volts from the same battery pack. You could use a Lipo pack for the motor and a separate nicad 4.8v reciever pack, or a smaller separate Lipo pack with a UBEC to drop the voltage down to safe levels for the receiver and servos.

The bubble on the receiver case implies the little voltage regulator inside burned up. If you have some electronics skills, you might be able to replace the voltage regulator and maybe a power input filter cap and get the receiver working again. They are probably using a small 3v regulator in there, nothing fancy considering how much the receiver costs. The regulator would protected the small mcu chip inside.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Gaui X3's
Old Aug 02, 2009, 07:55 AM
anarchist
Joined Jan 2008
6,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJet
are there non budget rx that will handle 12V? i've seen some new 8v, but 12??

caprgeek, 4.8-6V for the rx max.ubec, bec from esc or rx battery

frac
frac is offline Find More Posts by frac
Old Aug 02, 2009, 07:57 AM
anarchist
Joined Jan 2008
6,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Stick 3D
Anyone know a fix for usb not being recognized? Help apreciated!!

Thanks
helloooooooooo speedy ol 'friend' ..........

did you try reinstalling the driver?

frac
frac is offline Find More Posts by frac