HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2003, 09:46 PM
Joined Jun 2001
1,569 Posts
Electrify a Mothership? (83" EPP flying wing foamie!)

I was thinking a geared Magnetic Mayhem might be an approriate setup for it, would a twin MM or endoplasma setup be better? Here's the link to the 83" 4 lb monster:
Flying Foam.com Combat Wing Kits

I'd guess 6 pounds ready to fly as an electric, maybe more. Note that the wingloading is already just over 6 ounces per square foot, so this could potentially be a great trainer, and a cool big wing! Any suggestions?
e-sailpilot86 is offline Find More Posts by e-sailpilot86
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2003, 10:58 PM
Fairfield, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,513 Posts
I have some relivant experience here. The FlyingFoam standard plane is the cheap shot, 48" wing. I ordered a customer 58" wing, just scaled up. I used s MM with a APC 6x4, 8 cells CP1700 or RC2400 with GOOD RESULTS. Not huge verticals, buit defintely a fun and fast plane.

The 83" FOR SURE will be under powered by a single MM. MM isn't really a gear box motor. I am assuming you would want a fast ship.

Twin MMs sounds interesting. I have actually been kicking this arround in my head. AMP draw on a healthy MM with the 6 x 4 is 21 AMPs. I think the 7 x 4 is too big.

Considerations:
(1) You will need a 50 amp ESC to pull this job off, or two 25 amp ESCs.
(2) Make sure you buy the reverse MMs.
(3) You will want full size servos for the Mothership.
(4) Launching can be a handful, consider landing gear???? Maybe???? Maybe the gear falls off after take off????

On the 58" single MM Cheap shot, 1700CP cells gave me 6 to 7 minutes. 2400RC gave me about 9 minutes. As a personally goal, I always shoot for 10 minutes flights time on all my aircraft.

If I was forced to build this mothership RIGHT NOW, I would try two MMs, an AVEOX 50 AMP ESC, 6x4s, and possibly several different battery configs. I try to only use NIMH if I can help it. LithPolys can't do this yet, so......

(1) One Gp 3300 8 cell pack can't deliver enough amps. Two 8 cells packs could, but that might be too heavy for you. Flight times would be Awesome!!!! 10 minutes +

(2) How about two 1700 4/5aup 8 cell packs????? This solutions works, but for 5 to 6 minutes flights. (at full power).

(4) One RC 2400 can deliver the amps, but we are talking about a real short flight. Probably 4 minutes.

As you can see I have been thinking about this.

Post pictures and results!!!!!

Thanks,

Rick
Captain Carlton is offline Find More Posts by Captain Carlton
Old Mar 01, 2003, 11:31 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,870 Posts
E Mothership!

Egads man
Actually "Duke58" flew one at DelValle a few months back.
You definitely Had to look up when this thing went overhead.
Drop him a note.
Jay.
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Mar 02, 2003, 07:32 AM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,361 Posts
Hmmm...... 6 lbs huh?

Check the "Me and My (Mega)Nutz" thread and you'll see my two meter ship, not too far away from the mother ship. My weights are not anything like 6 lbs even if I added another few inches on either side. And this thing did fly on a single geared SP400! I can assure you that if that wing is 6 lbs, the launch will be handfull (literally!) unless your flying buddy is someone like Roger Clements. The launch of the MegaNutz takes a pretty mighty heave-ho and quick finger on the throttle to get airborne.

CenTexFlyer
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Mar 02, 2003, 09:54 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,707 Posts
Twin it is!

Most cheap brushed single motor setups will give you just a powered sailplane. However try this.

Twin geared 3.33:1 Kyosho endoplasma motors, wired in series on 16 CP-2400 cells with 10/7 APE-E props. Should pull about 30 amps.

Put tricycle gear on it, retractable if you can. Should weigh about 7 1/2 pounds with retracts, a bit less if you used lighter batteries. Climb out close to 40 degrees, top speed in level flight about 55 mph. All in all I think it would be quite an impressive sport plane
davecee is online now Find More Posts by davecee
Last edited by davecee; Mar 02, 2003 at 09:56 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2003, 03:16 PM
Certified Glider Geek
Corona, CA
Joined May 2002
140 Posts
Hi guys,

As the one and only FlyingFoam.com employee, I think I can offer some valid advice on this subject.

First off... the ELECTRIC MotherShip kit will be released soon! If you can wait a few weeks, it'll be worth it.

Our electric prototype was powered by a Hacker B40 12L + 4.4:1 on a 14 x 9.5 CAM folder (pusher) on 12 1700 cells. "Spirited" would be an understatement... this thing rocked! Climbs were fast, and about 70deg. 30+ minute power/glide flights were not uncommon... and up to 20 minute of powered fun flight with the throttle on.

Our next proto will have a B50XL on it... we're going for full vertical here boys... hold on!

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
Eric Farmer
efarmer is offline Find More Posts by efarmer
Old Mar 02, 2003, 08:56 PM
Joined Jun 2001
1,569 Posts
Alright! That'll work out even better I think! How well does it do at thermaling? A previous clubmate had a slope flying mothership, I unfortunately never got to see it fly...
He said it shot up in the lift pretty easily, where would you rank it on a scale from one to ten, one being Zagi and ten being something like a Gentle Lady.
e-sailpilot86 is offline Find More Posts by e-sailpilot86
Old Mar 02, 2003, 10:00 PM
USA, VA, Centreville
Joined Jan 2003
96 Posts
Wow! A factory electric MotherShip! And here I have been looking for my next model...Saw a sloper MotherShip a few weeks ago in Long Beach - very impressive!

efarmer, does this mean the factory ships will be supplied with BL motors? Do you have any cost estimates? How do you find the space in the workshop for such a big ship?

Keep us informed on both the factory and the custom side...it all sounds great!
turaboy is offline Find More Posts by turaboy
Old Mar 03, 2003, 01:24 AM
Certified Glider Geek
Corona, CA
Joined May 2002
140 Posts
e-sailpilot86 -

>>How well does it do at thermaling?

I'm primarily a glider pilot myself, flying everything from the gentle lady type to my many molded composite open class airplanes. If I were to compare the electric mothership's thermalling ability to any "real" thermal plane, I would put it along the lines of a reasonably high performance two-meter. It has chord length and wingloading on it's side.

turaboy -

>>does this mean the factory ships will be supplied with BL motors?

No. We just choose to use brushless in our personal models. When we build toys, we don't like to mess around ;-)

The electric mothership kit will be between $170-180. It will be similar to the slope mothership from the standpoint that it will be all EPP with carbon tube spars. The elevons will be slightly smaller than the slope version (to cut down on the possibility of flutter). It will include a molded fiberglass fairing to cover all your expensive stuff in the middle. There will also be a universal motor mount supplied, as well as all the little goodies expected of a good kit.

We'll be putting up some pictures on the website soon... keep your eyes peeled.

As always... feel free to ask any questions.

Regards,
Eric
Old Mar 03, 2003, 05:02 AM
california
Joined Jan 2003
46 Posts
How does one go about launching such an air beast???

I'll definitly be wanting a electric mothership....
FanFourU2 is offline Find More Posts by FanFourU2
Old Mar 03, 2003, 09:56 AM
Certified Glider Geek
Corona, CA
Joined May 2002
140 Posts
launching the beast

Our most common launch technique is to start out holding the nose of the plane, thumb on bottom, four fingers on top, and throw over your head... behind you. Then just spin around and firewall it... fun! Quite entertaining to watch, too!

You could always launch it same as you would a zagi or such. I would advise that whatever you do, you always throw from the LE of the wing and power up AFTER the throw.

A short bungee launch to get her on the wing will work just fine too, and is probably the safest, easiest, and most reliable launch method.

Thx,
EF
Last edited by efarmer; Mar 03, 2003 at 10:08 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:16 AM
USA, VA, Centreville
Joined Jan 2003
96 Posts
Any word on the Electric Mothership? As far as I can tell, your plane would be the only factory electrified large wing!
turaboy is offline Find More Posts by turaboy
Old Apr 05, 2005, 02:01 PM
Minneapolis Mn
Joined Jan 2003
897 Posts
This is exactly what I'm looking for...

Waiting for the eKits...
jimklein is online now Find More Posts by jimklein
Old Apr 13, 2009, 03:42 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
I just got a Mothership 89" wingspan and i absolutely love it.. Havent flown it yet but i will make an attempt this weekend.

Reggie
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Apr 13, 2009, 03:59 PM
Fairfield, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,513 Posts
Please share the details of what you did... details photos...etc!!!

That would be great!!! - Richard
Captain Carlton is offline Find More Posts by Captain Carlton