HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2008, 06:38 PM
Mexico
Joined Nov 2005
427 Posts
Discussion
Hello, Im new into hovercrafts. Any reliable hovercraft to buy?

Hi, I fly small size electric rc helicopters but have been interested in hovercrafts. It is just that I see none in the market. Hovercrafts seem hard to find in any LHS.

May you tell me please what hovercraft is good to buy for a beginner? Any well known brand out there you recommend me?

First of all, I would like to know how is it that single main motor hovercrafts counteact torque reaction. In a single main rotor helicopter you have tail rotor for this. In a coaxial helicopter, both reactions cancel out. How do you work it in a hovercraft for counteract torque reaction?

About 7 years ago I attempted to build one, but it didn't work well

This a diagram of the wannabe hovercraft I build years ago. It was all made of balsa wood, except for the skirt that I made out of that kind of trasparent plastic you use to cover your books.

It lifted, not much, but it lifted a bit. I chose this configuration to avoid setting the motor shaft on a vertical position, then avoiding hovercraft starting to turn.

However, I didn't set correctly the center of gravity so when it lifted, it was not evenly lifted. In addition to that, torque reaction complicated everything.

The arrows show the direction in which I thought air should flow. The screen (that triangle in the middle of the hovercraft) was set at 30 to deflect the airflow coming out from the motor, trying to avoid major loses in power.

I just started it once. As results were disappointing, I did not try it again nor I tried to improve it. I took out the glow 0.049 motor out of it.

Thanks to you all!
bambino is offline Find More Posts by bambino
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2008, 08:16 PM
Micro EDF addict
Upstate NY
Joined Jun 2007
4,782 Posts
If you want something goes on water then you can get the scamper, otherwise the axon racer.
metroidrc is offline Find More Posts by metroidrc
Old Dec 11, 2008, 10:01 PM
Mexico
Joined Nov 2005
427 Posts
hi metro, thanks

I looked for scamper but it is about 158 british pounds.

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...d.asp?id=24506

Is there anything cheaper that goes on water also?

thanks!
bambino is offline Find More Posts by bambino
Old Dec 12, 2008, 05:43 AM
Flying Saucer Mechanic
Middle River MD
Joined Dec 2000
520 Posts
model hovercraft

Good performing model hovercraft made of foam are easy to design and build. Do a search on the internet to see what others have done. If you have an RC set up already a really nice HC could be done for less than $30.
Stef is offline Find More Posts by Stef
Old Dec 12, 2008, 07:24 AM
Micro EDF addict
Upstate NY
Joined Jun 2007
4,782 Posts
wow 158 pounds is alot - considering it takes 8 hours to build!
Yes I'd say try building your own.
metroidrc is offline Find More Posts by metroidrc
Old Dec 12, 2008, 02:54 PM
Joined Mar 2007
275 Posts
intro to rc hovercraft

you could alway try a griffon 600 the are 50.00 for the kit and they are avalible from palaform see link http://www.modelhovercraft.co.uk/index.php?q=65.html thesr craft go well very light made out of depron see link for video
Fran Oakey's Griffin 600 Hovercraft (1 min 22 sec)

hope this helps
HoverTim is offline Find More Posts by HoverTim