HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2008, 03:20 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,818 Posts
Discussion
Help with Parkzone Decathlon repair

Hello everyone, I come humbly asking for advice on how to get my recently crashed Decathlon BL back into the air. My first time flying at a real flying field, with all the space in the world, not a tree to worry about. I got a little over confident and attempted inverted flight. Needless to say, I didn't have enough control authority and nosedived upside down at nearly full speed. Broke the prop, smashed cowl, crumpled nose. Broken internal bracing. Ripped struts. Wing is pretty much 100% at least, just a few minor cosmetic wrinkles. I assumed the motor was ok. The firewall seemed intact (later noticed some cracks).

At this point I have epoxied all the broken parts inside back together, pieced the cowl back together and put it back on over the motor with clear packing tape and CA. Problem is, I noticed when testing the motor that it has a bad wobble in it now. I think the problem is only in the motor shaft. It is probably bent. Either that or the motor itself is to blame? I suppose the alignment of the motor on the firewall might have changed slightly, but would this make the motor shaft appear to wobble like that, even when turned by hand? I mean when I turn it sans prop, I can see that it goes more in one direction and isn't turning straight. If it is just the motor shaft, how do I get it out? It looks like it is attached with an allen screw that is completely full of thread lock. Can someone more familiar with brushless motors explain to me how I remove the prop shaft from the motor, or if it is likely the motor itself?
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2008, 03:15 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,818 Posts
Ok, well nevermind then. I removed the motor mount and got the motor shaft out by removing the e-clip. Motor shaft was definitely bent. Ordered a new one from the shop. Should be here in time to fly next weekend.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 11:01 PM
Joined Feb 2009
3 Posts
So, how'd it work out?

I done bent the motor shaft on my Decathlon too, and I'm curious if replacement is all it took.
rabid_fish is offline Find More Posts by rabid_fish
Old Mar 28, 2009, 02:00 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,818 Posts
replaced

I had to get a replacement motor shaft, it was bent. Unfortunately in the process of replacing it I cracked the plastic front of the motor housing, so after each flight the shaft gets loose and I have to retighten the allen screws. I probably will only get another few flights before I will have to get a new motor . I'm still trying to figure out what motor I should get. I assume I can probably get something cheaper and better aftermarket, but not sure what the best size motor would be.