Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 28, 2009, 05:29 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Thanks for the report. It is as I would expect.

How was your adverse yaw? I set differential to virtually no down and still needed about 20% rudder

I wish there were some appropriate EPP/Elapor floats available. Maybe Multiplex will come out with some?
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2009, 08:36 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
Thanks for the report. It is as I would expect.

How was your adverse yaw? I set differential to virtually no down and still needed about 20% rudder

I wish there were some appropriate EPP/Elapor floats available. Maybe Multiplex will come out with some?
try this link ....

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?&C=QDE&V=MPU
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:00 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Cool!
Old Aug 15, 2009, 01:29 PM
Joined Jun 2008
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkynetAir
campcrafter, any updates on the Easycub? How did you manage to fit the 35mm diameter motor? I'm thinking of dropping my 28x37mm for a 35x36 potentially.

I've bought a 2nd EC at a model show a couple of weeks ago and I've taken the wings, flattened them (without cutting out the centre section) and added outer ailerons and inner flaps, so 4 servo setup. Looking forward to testing this out when the rain stops and will report back! Hope it's not too dicey with no dihedral at all...

sorry for the delay in replying as i was away.
The 3536 outrunner makes a perfect fit. There is very little room around for air flow, and the fit is snug so can't take any pictures. ( will try though )

place your 3536 on the motor mount plate provided. You may have to drill new holes to match the size of the holes on the motor to screw it in place.

I have flown this bird in strong winds and it flies beautifully. What a pleasure to fly it and what a pleasure to simply see it float in the air.
campcrafter is offline Find More Posts by campcrafter
Old Sep 18, 2009, 01:59 PM
UH-1 Gunship, AH-1G jock 69-71
So Cal ... Kingdom of Taxes
Joined Nov 2008
441 Posts
Another Easy Cub Aileron Mod update.

Well guys, I did the Aileron mod a few months ago, but wanted to wait to report my findings.

I did not flatten the wings, leaving the Dihedral as is and merely added the Ailerons to wings using the "fake" aileron impressions that MPX molded into the wings as my guides. I carefully cut in recesses into the wings for side mounted TowerPro 9G servos; the cut-outs looked impressive I must say, nearly as good as if MPX had put them there. I secured the servos in place using medium Hot Glue. I also cut wire-ways into the wing for the servo wires, using the Hot Knife and I used a Y harness for the servos, although I may change that to individual servos leads so I can uses Spoilerons (although the EC floats in for slow short landings anyway).

I cut the sides of the Ailerons using a "Hot Knife" (looks like a solder pen with an exacto blade - my favorite EPP tool!) and then used a thin round tip 15w soldering pen with a steel ruler, to create "Elapor hinges" along the long axis. Looks like the wing came this way. The Hot Kinife cuts fast and coteries the Elapor "smooth" at the same time. The Solder pen melts the Elapor smoothly if you move it precisely and smoothly.

As a footnote - I am running a KMS 2814-06 (36mm x 35mm, 1280kv, 550watts) brushless, 10x5.5 APC-E, 40A ESC, 2800mAH Zippy 30C LiPO. Least to say, the plane is way over powered and flies like a bat out of hell. It takes off (solo) from grass in 5ft and I can tow up 2M gliders with this "Superized" Cub.

The "SC" as we called it, flew fantastic with the Ailerons sized per the MPX moldings. I programmed the radio for Aileron-Rudder mixing of +30% to help with turns. No Elevator mixing was needed.

The plane banks on a dime, inverted with a little elevator, does nice easy rolls, Cuban Eights, etc. and I really don't see any reason for bigger or longer Ailerons. With that big 10 x 5.5 prop and hungry brushless, the SC even Hovers! Shocked the guys we fly with that have their tricked out Flat Foamies! Only thing I couldn't do was a Knifes Edge, thanks no doubt to the Dihedral, as the plane just wants to roll out.

Alas, I have to report that the SC is dead, smashed beyond repar, thanks to a cheap crappo Hobby City Turnigy 40A ESC that decided to kiss-off during a somewhat low fast flyby after towing up a 2M glider (thank god it didn't happen during the tow up). Unbelievably, the whole wing and tail feathers survived nearly unscathed, only a little bent wing tip and one Aileron tore loose. The motor is rebuildable amazingly since there was a 3inch deep "divit" in the flying grass field!

So I have already ordered another EC kit for $99 no tax, no shipping (was cheaper than buying just the Fuse and all the parts) so I can build up another Superized Cuba and be flying and towing again soon. May try to flatten the new wings from the kit and add flaps.

Sorry the pics aren't in the right order.
makeitworst is offline Find More Posts by makeitworst
Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:07 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Thanks for the report.

Mine will knife edge, but I do have to hold pressure on the ailerons to hold it, not like the Acromaster or other more pattern-ish planes.

I do use the spoilerons for short landings and slow flying, since it allows me to keep the motor running up in the power band while flying slow.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 09:01 PM
Joined Nov 2008
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
Thanks for the report.

Mine will knife edge, but I do have to hold pressure on the ailerons to hold it, not like the Acromaster or other more pattern-ish planes.

I do use the spoilerons for short landings and slow flying, since it allows me to keep the motor running up in the power band while flying slow.
You must have flattened your wings, I can't see how holding an edge is possible with the huge stock dihedral. With the hefty dihedral it wants to roll out to the top side of the wing no matter how much aileron, rudder or elevator pressure I could put in.

Now doing a knife edge with my BH Models Decathlon EP is as easy as breathing.

Next experimentation is flattening the wings, but with the stock pieces and not cutting the wings centers. - Using heat to bend and reshape things (I hope).
Last edited by makeitworst; Sep 26, 2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 09:31 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Yes I cut the dihedral out of mine.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:36 PM
Joined Nov 2008
441 Posts
How did you modify the flat wing center section?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkynetAir View Post
Here's the pictures of my modified flattened wing.
SkynetAir,

After doing nothing with my EasyCub for most of the Fall and Winter I want to get back to modifying it, so Flattening the wings are next on the list. I noticed that you did not cut out the center section as Gene Bond did and I'm really curious just how you did it??

I keep looking at the plastic spar joiners in the center of the winds and can not for the life of me figure out what you cut, removed, whatever to make the assembly flat.

Would you mind explaining in a bit of detail how you did it, maybe even a closer couple of pics to illustrate the "surgery"? I know I'll appreciate it and others in the future finding this post will as well.

Also, since it's been a while since you made the mod, how well has the strength and rigidity held up with lots of flying time under your EC's belt?

I like Gene's flat wing mod as well, but I'd like to weigh both ways before jumping in with Dremel, Scalpel and Epoxy.

Thanks
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:15 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
I'm all ears too! Just completed a build of one of these for my wife to fly, with an aileron mod. I was about to PM you makeitworst to see how your wing flattening went, but it appears you haven't done yours yet, and looking for more ideas as well. I was hoping it wouldn't be as bad once i got it completed and in the air, but this thing has some serious dihedral, it looks like a gull wing Mercedes! It's just too stable, I'd like to take it out without removing any wing area, if that's possible.

I'm subscribed, so hopefully we can figure this out together even if no one else is watching this thread anymore.

For what it's worth, I used the aileron cutouts from the factory. Put Welders glue on top to make the hinge, and then cut the foam to release the aileron, then cut a bevel into it. Works fantastic! Now I just need a better roll rate!

Eric
EricJ320 is offline Find More Posts by EricJ320
Old Apr 08, 2010, 04:53 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Not so EasyCub...

I am done with the beast at least for now. I broke the poorly made joiner for the tail wheel/water rudder so I may have to get a different joiner piece for the tail wheel/water rudder down the road. I will see if the home made one works out first. I redrilled the wing joiners, cut the wings and inserted carbon spars inside of the included plastic spars to remove nearly all the dihedral out of the wing . The wing is all glued up and one piece now, but it is still removable. Added flaps and ailerons with CA hinges. I had to mount the control horns backward on the flaps to get enough clearance for good deflection. I used a KD-A22L outrunner, 25AMP Esc, 3 AMP UBEC, 4 Bluebird servos in the wing along with Multiplex hardware, and two Typhoon 3D Digital metal gear servos for the rudder and elevator. The plane came out nose heavy with the small 86gram outrunner. I made a thin plywood tray to mount the battery (3s1p 2100ma) to in order to slide it way back under the wing to get COG without adding any weight. All of the electronics are water proofed with Corrsion X. My first water plane, what do you think?
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Last edited by Phoenex; Apr 08, 2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old Apr 08, 2010, 09:45 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,602 Posts
Great job on the modifications, it looks really good!

John
JohnM is offline Find More Posts by JohnM
Old Apr 08, 2010, 10:50 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Great job on the modifications, it looks really good!

John
Thanks John!

For those of you looking at changing the wing angle and adding flaps etc., take a look at the link below.

EasyCub modified

Dave
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:30 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
The not so easycub flight test..

I took it out to the other day to check out on first flight. The Cub flew nicely taking off in a very short distance WITHOUT the flaps. I had to add quite a bit of down elevator trim. I also noticed the elevator seemed very sensitive. I may try moving the COG a bit forward. Loops were fine. Rolls were very slow as expected. Tested the flaps up high noticed some nose pitch up. I can take that out with some elevator offset. The plane will slow way down without flaps and nearly stop in the air with flaps. The power setup is not way overpowered, yet provides good power for all intended maneuvers. The home made tailwheel/water rudder connector did not work. I am ordering a 2mm connecting rod adapter from HobbyLobby to address this issue. Flew around for 8 minutes then smoothly landed without flaps into a bit of headwind at a snails pace. I am impressed with the construction overall, great foam and nice rugged design. Looking forward to many flights and taking the Cub out to the lake with my Nirvana II r/c sailboat.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:30 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Update

I flew the modified EasyCub twice yesterday in light winds allowing me to trim out the model much better. I removed the motor down thrust going back to the straight on thrust line.The down thrust I added did not help with the climbing and seemed to make it worse. I also added some elevator offset to the flaps and increased the aileron throw. I moved the battery forward 1/4 inch to move the COG forward a bit and left it there. Upside down flight was hands off. The 2mm rod joiner worked like a charm on the tail wheel. I had also changed out the prop from an APC 10x7 to a GWS 10x6 HD/DD prop. The GWS is prop is lighter and more flexible on the tips to help protect the small 3mm shaft on the motor. Power went down from 23.5 amps to 21.5 amps on a 3 cell lipo.. The new prop gave me more in-flight thrust and good speed. I could fly at half throttle in the light winds. I became very comfortable with the way the plane was flying. I think flying off of water will come next.