Joined Nov 2001
1,324 Posts
MPX recommended Power Set Up

http://www.multiplex-rc.de/

Power drive "EasyCub" #332637

EASYCUB“ power set
The brushless power set for all beginners models and trainers,
e.g. EasyCub, up to approx. 1000 g weight. Current drain with
2S LiPo and supplied propeller: approx. 17 A.

17A x 7.4v = 125 watts approx

Contents:
1 Himax C 2816-1220 brushlesmtor # 33 3017
1 MULTIcont BL-27/II speed controller # 7 2275
1 10“ x 5“ propeller # 73 3106
1 Driver with spinner, # 33 2314
for 4 mm Ř motor shafts, propeller bore 6 mmfor 4 mm Ř
motor shafts, propeller bore 6 mm

Himax - you can get it from MPI or buy the whole set from MPX/Hitec via Tower Hobbies (although I only saw the Gemini power set at Tower, which is the 890kv version )

Maxxprod

MPI rate it as:

HC2816 - These 200 watt motors are for small models weighing 18-24 oz for 3-D flight, up to 32 oz for aerobatic flight and up to 40 oz for leisure flight.

If you want to use 3S with the 1220kv motor, drop down to a 9 x 4,7 SF.

Personally I don't think the EasyCub needs more than 150 watts for scale type flying, so a 350 watt system is a little over the top. That much power will mean a narrow usable power band on the throttle, in terms of stick travel for a "stock" airframe. But with a camera, then yes a higher wattage motor.

I flew a HobbyZone Super Cub (similar size) with a geared 150 - 170 watt setup and rarely had to use full throttle.
deadduck is offline Find More Posts by deadduck
Last edited by deadduck; Apr 10, 2009 at 05:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2009, 06:50 AM
Joined Jun 2008
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadduck
http://www.multiplex-rc.de/

Power drive "EasyCub" #332637

EASYCUB“ power set
The brushless power set for all beginners models and trainers,
e.g. EasyCub, up to approx. 1000 g weight. Current drain with
2S LiPo and supplied propeller: approx. 17 A.

17A x 7.4v = 125 watts approx

Contents:
1 Himax C 2816-1220 brushlesmtor # 33 3017
1 MULTIcont BL-27/II speed controller # 7 2275
1 10“ x 5“ propeller # 73 3106
1 Driver with spinner, # 33 2314
for 4 mm Ř motor shafts, propeller bore 6 mmfor 4 mm Ř
motor shafts, propeller bore 6 mm

Himax - you can get it from MPI or buy the whole set from MPX/Hitec via Tower Hobbies (although I only saw the Gemini power set at Tower, which is the 890kv version )

Maxxprod

MPI rate it as:

HC2816 - These 200 watt motors are for small models weighing 18-24 oz for 3-D flight, up to 32 oz for aerobatic flight and up to 40 oz for leisure flight.

If you want to use 3S with the 1220kv motor, drop down to a 9 x 4,7 SF.

Personally I don't think the EasyCub needs more than 150 watts for scale type flying, so a 350 watt system is a little over the top. That much power will mean a narrow usable power band on the throttle, in terms of stick travel for a "stock" airframe. But with a camera, then yes a higher wattage motor.

I flew a HobbyZone Super Cub (similar size) with a geared 150 - 170 watt setup and rarely had to use full throttle.
so, do you think, that the 200 watt motor will haul the camera and still have enough juice to fly.

this is the motor that's available here.

http://cgi.ebay.in/Turborix-1000rpm-...em110372819931

take a look. the vendor says that the one he has, has 4 holes to mount the motor. with a 40 amp esc and 11.1v 2200mah lipo, will this set up do?

thanks
campcrafter is offline Find More Posts by campcrafter
Old Apr 10, 2009, 07:01 AM
Joined Jun 2008
81 Posts
here the 890 kv motor is shown, so what's the best way to go. 1220 or 890.

http://www.multiplexusa.com/power_an...power_pack.php

thanks again.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 08:35 PM
Manila Ninoy Intl, Philippines
Joined Nov 2001
1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by campcrafter
so, do you think, that the 200 watt motor will haul the camera and still have enough juice to fly.

this is the motor that's available here.

http://cgi.ebay.in/Turborix-1000rpm-...em110372819931

take a look. the vendor says that the one he has, has 4 holes to mount the motor. with a 40 amp esc and 11.1v 2200mah lipo, will this set up do?

thanks
No, probably a bit marginal at 200 watts unless you are using a very light camera set up and taking camera power from the same battery.

The Turborix motor will certainly do the job as a STOCK setup, no camera gear.

Your other question about 890 or 1220 kv, it really depends what battery pack you have on hand or want to use.

MPX probably recommend the 1220kv for the EasyCub because someone moving up from an EasyStar will have 2S battery packs, so it's a low cost move, since you won't need to buy a battery.

If you get the Turborix motor try it out with the setup listed by the vendor, and you can always adjust the power curve by changing the prop. If you find it too fast on 10 x 5 drop down to a 9 x 4,7 etc....
deadduck is offline Find More Posts by deadduck
Old Apr 12, 2009, 04:13 AM
Joined Jun 2008
81 Posts
Thanks, will try ti out and keep you posted.
Old May 27, 2009, 11:23 AM
Joined Jun 2008
81 Posts
i have finally made the easycub 3 wks ago but maidened it today. the flight lasted just about half a minute, because it was very gusty with strong winds and i did'nt want to crash the plane. It has been very windy since one week.
the power was from the dualsky, brushless 3536 350watt motor, 10 x 6 prop, 40 amp esc, and 11.1v 2200mah, 20c discharge battery.
At first i was very reluctant to fly the plane due to the strong winds, and i had no idea, how the plane would behave in the air. So after fixing the wings and connecting the battery, i only taxied the plane around to see how it handled on ground in such high winds. She behaved very well and was itching to go up. I increased the throttle to just half and with a brisk short run, she just lept into the air... Wow! after climbing to about 75 feet, i turned her downwind, and she sailed on the strong wind. i steered her again into the wind and increased the throttle to a little over a quarter and she cruised beautifully and stably into the wind. I took three circuits, and came down to a soft and comfortable landing.
My conclusion:
The easycub is truly a beautiful and strong plane made by multiplex.
the power set up provided could be enough, but with the extra power from the 350 watt motor, it can handle stronger winds, and also lift more cargo weight with ease.
After the winds die down, i will be making my second test flight, and this time i intend to fix my camera to take aerial photos. I have already made a dummy weight of the same size and weight as the camera, so that in case of hard landing or any other unforeseen incident, i don't want to risk damaging my camera.
Now that i have made an flown the easy cub, i am ready to answer any question in this regard to help others who are interested in making one.
Old May 27, 2009, 01:01 PM
Multiplex Member
Switzerland, VD, Montreux
Joined Aug 2002
165 Posts
I maidened my Easy Cub on Monday, but the winds here were pretty low. My setup is similar to yours. I have used a 28mm diameter brushless outrunner which is approx 275W. This is the link to it:

275W 28mm Outrunner

I flew it with a Mystery 2400mAh 11.1V Lipo and a 9x3.8" prop, which sounds a bit watery, but it had plenty of low-speed thrust. My setup without camera gear weighed about 850g (30oz) and with my FPV equipment including a 2nd battery, it was about 1Kg (35.3oz). To be honest, I didn't notice much difference in the handling of the plane with or without the extra weight - apart from the increased glide speed.

Good plane though, looking forward to adding more stuff on to it shortly. I reckon it could handle another 300g (10.5oz) with the same 275W motor.

Worth noting also that I didn't need 100% throttle either on take off. About 60% I think I used.

Very happy with this one, reminds me of my old Mpx Pico Cub.
SkynetAir is offline Find More Posts by SkynetAir
Old May 29, 2009, 02:18 AM
Joined Jun 2008
81 Posts
I flew my plane today the second time, and boy! what handling in high speed. So stable! I just could not believe it. When into the wind, it hovers like a falcon in one spot without any tip stalling. An extremely stable bird. I could possibly keep it that way for a few minutes. Without the wind it will sail beautifully.
hopefully i will take a vdo and post it for you'll to see and enjoy the flight.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 04:44 AM
Multiplex Member
Joined Aug 2002
165 Posts
campcrafter, any updates on the Easycub? How did you manage to fit the 35mm diameter motor? I'm thinking of dropping my 28x37mm for a 35x36 potentially.

I've bought a 2nd EC at a model show a couple of weeks ago and I've taken the wings, flattened them (without cutting out the centre section) and added outer ailerons and inner flaps, so 4 servo setup. Looking forward to testing this out when the rain stops and will report back! Hope it's not too dicey with no dihedral at all...
Last edited by SkynetAir; Jul 17, 2009 at 04:58 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 07:05 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Skynet:

I built my 2nd EZ-Cub with a flat wing and big ailerons (50% more chord than the mold marks). I cut the dihedral section out and made new screw mount patches from lite-ply.

It works like a dream, and flies great. 175 watts or so is just about right

It does suffer the typical Cub adverse yaw, so be prepared to mix in some rudder.

The EZ-Cub is a great model, my hat is off to Multiplex.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jul 17, 2009, 07:32 AM
Multiplex Member
Joined Aug 2002
165 Posts
Gene, hi. Yeah, I think I saw the pictures of it earlier in this thread. It looks as though you've cut the middle section away though, decreasing the wing area. Is that right? Presumably it would fly a bit faster because of this?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 01:52 PM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
Skynet:

I built my 2nd EZ-Cub with a flat wing and big ailerons (50% more chord than the mold marks). I cut the dihedral section out and made new screw mount patches from lite-ply.

It works like a dream, and flies great. 175 watts or so is just about right

It does suffer the typical Cub adverse yaw, so be prepared to mix in some rudder.

The EZ-Cub is a great model, my hat is off to Multiplex.
Any chance you might be able to post a video of the Cub? ......

How did you cut the wings so cleanly? .....

I might do the mods myself if I can get a spare wing set ....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Jul 19, 2009, 08:34 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I clipped jut a couple of inches off the center, so maybe 4-5% of the wing area. No noticable change in stall speed.

I like the flaps! Let us know how well they work. I have mine set up for flapperons/spoilerons, but I've yet to tune them in. I have played with them a little is all.

I haven't video'd mine yet. Need to do it!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jul 27, 2009, 04:21 AM
Multiplex Member
Joined Aug 2002
165 Posts
I flew the EC yesterday with the flat wing and flaps/ailerons. Well, what a difference. So much nicer to fly it with ailerons. I found that the standard cutouts provided ample roll. The flaps as expected do really slow the plane right down, especially if flying into a headwind, e.g when landing, but be careful it doesn't slow to a complete stall as I did and then nose it in the ground!

With the flaps raised up as spoilers, it cancelled some of the lift and allowed quick loss of altitude.

I had the flaps connected to the VR-E slider on my FF9 tx so I had complete proportional control over them. When the flaps were fully deployed, it did have a tendency to nose up a bit, and conversely when the spoilers were raised it nosed down, so perhaps mix in some opposite elevator if you try this and want the attitude to stay constant.

Overall, I highly recommend doing this mod. It actually makes it much easier to fly the plane, and is essential if you want to fly in anything other than very calm conditions.

Andy