HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2009, 05:40 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I felt the aileron markings were just a tad too small to be effective at low speed. The size I went for seems about right for a sporty flight. I only have a few flights on it so far, so I've not played with flaps, spoilers, etc.

I found a c/f tube which fit perfectly inside the supplied fiberglass tubes, and used about 6" of it, glued into one side. I made some 1/8" ply plates for the hold down screws, and some 9mm epp scraps for the wing hold-in knobs on the bottom to lock the wings into the fuselage opening.

The aileron servos are countersunk in the wings with a Dremel, after cutting the outline with an exacto. Same as have done on many others.

I'm using the following equipment:
TR2217/16 Turnigy 2217 16turn 1050kv 23A Outrunner -
TR_P30A TURNIGY Plush 30amp Speed Controller -
APC10x5-E APC style propeller 10x5-E -
DMG16 D-MG16 Metal Gear 2.9kg/.08sec/18.8g -
EM_9g EM 9g / 1.5kg / .12sec Micro Servo -
ZIPPY22003S20C ZIPPY 2200mAh 3S1P 20C -
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2009, 01:47 PM
UH-1 Gunship, AH-1G jock 69-71
So Cal ... Kingdom of Taxes
Joined Nov 2008
422 Posts
Easy Cub Aileron and brushless motor mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
I felt the aileron markings were just a tad too small to be effective at low speed. The size I went for seems about right for a sporty flight. I only have a few flights on it so far, so I've not played with flaps, spoilers, etc.

TR2217/16 Turnigy 2217 16turn 1050kv 23A Outrunner -
TR_P30A TURNIGY Plush 30amp Speed Controller -
APC10x5-E APC style propeller 10x5-E -
DMG16 D-MG16 Metal Gear 2.9kg/.08sec/18.8g -
EM_9g EM 9g / 1.5kg / .12sec Micro Servo -
ZIPPY22003S20C ZIPPY 2200mAh 3S1P 20C -
Think we'll stay close to the original aileron outline and save the flap area for future use should we find we want them to enhance towing a glider up from a slower start or for landings in real short strips. I'm using a Hitec Mini-6S receiver with this in mind.

Did you glue the wings together for this mod?

Where is your birds CG now? (I've found that the more engine power, the EC seems to like further forward CG.)

Am using the following components:

Avionics WIND-MN ORI61105 brushless, 28x29mm / 930kv for now.
Probably will switch to a KMS Quantum 2814/06, 35x36mm / 1290kv for towing.

EMax 30A programmable ESC.

Hitec Mini-6S RX.

Multiplex BB (red) servos for the rudder and elevator.
TowerPro 9g's for ailerons when I make the mod. Same for Flaps.

Mystery (Korean Zippy's rebranded) 2200mAh 3S 25C LiPO's, but just got 2 Mystery 2800mAh 3S 30C (40C for 12 sec) for towing. Haven't pealed back the shrink yet, but assume they're Korean Zippy's too. (Not all Mystery LiPOs are Zippy's, just the higher end ones.)
makeitworst is offline Find More Posts by makeitworst
Old Mar 26, 2009, 06:11 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
No, I didn't glue the wings together. I used epp pieces to hold them inside the fuselage opening, like the original steps molded into the center part (which was cut off.)

The cg is on the recommended spot, which may be a tad nose heavy. I do need to crank in a little down thrust to reduce the climb under throttle.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:35 PM
Joined Jun 2008
81 Posts
i want to use the easycub as a platform for AP. What motor due you think will work best to lift the camera that would wiegh about 250 gms. will a 350 watt motor do?

Also wondering why there are not much threads od discussions for the easy cub?
campcrafter is offline Find More Posts by campcrafter
Old Mar 30, 2009, 04:08 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by campcrafter
i want to use the easycub as a platform for AP. What motor due you think will work best to lift the camera that would weigh about 250 gms. will a 350 watt motor do?

Also wondering why there are not much threads on discussions for the easy cub?
I've run my stock motor Himax C 2816 - 1220 setup with a 3200 2 cell lipo and only found one problem ...... the landing gear really feels the extra weight (approx +100 grms over the normal 1800 lipo that I use)

For a 250 gm camera setup you are going to have to do something a bit more fancy than the stock wire gear ......

If I were to fly an AP setup I would run my stock motor on a 3 cell lipo that should give me something like 250 watts ..... and add a decent C/F gear arrangement ...... think I might try it one day .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Mar 31, 2009, 11:38 AM
Joined Jun 2008
81 Posts
i intend to use a 3 cell 2200 mah lipo which is way heavier than the 2 cell lipos. i can always change the landing gear, but my question is weather or not it will handle the weight, cg, will it be nose heavy? etc. i intend to use the following motor which is heavier but with a lot more power.

http://indianhobbies.com/shop/index....products_id=15
Old Mar 31, 2009, 12:33 PM
UH-1 Gunship, AH-1G jock 69-71
So Cal ... Kingdom of Taxes
Joined Nov 2008
422 Posts
Quote:
i intend to use a 3 cell 2200 mah lipo which is way heavier than the 2 cell lipos. i can always change the landing gear, but my question is weather or not it will handle the weight, cg, will it be nose heavy? etc. i intend to use the following motor which is heavier but with a lot more power.

That "Dualsky Brushless 350W Motor - 3536CA 990" is not going to fit inside the nose, if it is 35mm x 36mm as it's model name suggests - unless you cut away the inside of the engine compartments fuselage.

I'm now running a KMS 2814/06 Quantum 1260kv (w/30A ESC), which is also 35mm x 36mm, and I had to "enlarge" that area with my very favorite Foam and Elapor modification tool - a 15 Watt soldering pencil. Why chop, when you can melt away (and it strenthens the area too boot)

You had better plan on a lot of "down thrust" and a bit of right thrust, when you mount that motor; and some down elev trim too.

Ps. I am also using a 3S LiPO, 2800mAh 30C, as we use the EC to tow up gliders.

As a rule the more powerful motor, over the stock suggested power plant, the more you need to "inch" the CG forward. In other words, the more and more nose heavy at the original CG.

I made a replacement landing gear of the same diameter, with higher quality tempered carbon steel wire. Not much bending on landings now.
makeitworst is offline Find More Posts by makeitworst
Last edited by makeitworst; Feb 10, 2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 02:07 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:

That motor is rated as "Suitable Plane Weight - 800 -1500gms" so a simple calculation should give you the answer ......

My Cub weighs in at 753g without a battery on board ...... the stock motor fitted to it weighs 77g

so call it 676g for the plane without motor or battery .....

add in your camera of 250g

and a 2200 3 cell lipo - say 200 gms

and your new motor at 103gms

and you have a new all up weight of 1229 gms ..... i.e. under the max rating for your new motor of 1500 gms max ......

(rem: you may have to add some tail ballast)

Just make sure the landing gear can handle the weight ......
Old Apr 01, 2009, 10:12 AM
Joined Jun 2008
81 Posts
Hmmm! if i have to enlarge the area with a soldering pencil, then how will the motor mount fit. Can you put some images of the mods done by you.
Since the nose will be heavy due to the increase in motor weight, can we adjust the cg by positioning the camera under the fuse nearer the trailing edge so that the CG is balanced. Since the inrunner motors are thinner, can i use this

http://cgi.ebay.in/IN-RUNNER-BRUSHLE...4.c0.m14.l1262

how much wattage will this one give. ( i will be using this on my EZ*)

i have already ordered for the cub and should be here over the weekend.
thanks
Last edited by campcrafter; Apr 01, 2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2009, 01:14 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm! if i have to enlarge the area with a soldering pencil, then how will the motor mount fit. Can you put some images of the mods done by you.
Since the nose will be heavy due to the increase in motor weight, can we adjust the cg by positioning the camera under the fuse nearer the trailing edge so that the CG is balanced. Since the inrunner motors are thinner, can i use this

http://cgi.ebay.in/IN-RUNNER-BRUSHLE...4.c0.m14.l1262

how much wattage will this one give. ( i will be using this on my EZ*)

i have already ordered for the cub and should be here over the weekend.
thanks
I have to say I wouldn't use that motor on a EZ* or a Cub ...... I think it's unsuitable for both planes ......

If you need any advice on Easystar motors ask here ..... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=975833
Old Apr 02, 2009, 12:47 AM
Joined Jun 2008
81 Posts
unsuitable how? the vendor says it will give lots of power..... can you please explain in detail. i am expecting it soon. will it be a waste.
Old Apr 02, 2009, 01:10 AM
Joined Jun 2008
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitworst
That "Dualsky Brushless 350W Motor - 3536CA 990" is not going to fit inside the nose, if it is 35mm x 36mm as it's model name suggests - unless you cut away the inside of the engine compartments fuselage.

I'm now running a KMS 2814/06 Quantum 1260kv (w/30A ESC), which is also 35mm x 36mm, and I had to "enlarge" that area with my very favorite Foam and Elapor modification tool - a 15 Watt soldering pencil. Why chop, when you can melt away (and it strenthens the area too boot)

You had better plan on a lot of "down thrust" and a bit of right thrust, when you mount that motor; and some down elev trim too.

Ps. I am also using a 3S LiPO, 2800mAh 30C, as we use the EC to tow up gliders.

As a rule the more powerful motor, over the stock suggested power plant, the more you need to "inch" the CG forward. In other words, the more and more nose heavy at the original CG.

I made a replacement landing of the same diameter, with higher quality tempered carbon steel wire. Not much bending on landings now.
can you please put photos of how you enlarged the cowling. Also does the motor then fit the mount.
thanks.
Old Apr 02, 2009, 05:50 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Quote:
unsuitable how? the vendor says it will give lots of power..... can you please explain in detail. i am expecting it soon. will it be a waste.
The Kv is 3800. You need something closer to 2500-2700 for a 6x4 prop or so... with that motor, you will likely need a 4" or so prop.. have to calc and 'speriment
Old Apr 02, 2009, 06:42 AM
Joined Jun 2008
81 Posts
anyways, its already shipped, so if i use it with the regular prop as advised by the vendor and run it at only 4/5th throttle will it cause any trouble with the motor or ESC. ESC is 40amps.
thanks
Old Apr 02, 2009, 02:58 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
For an Easystar inrunner motor you should go for a 2000 - 2800 Kv and use a 6 x 4 APC prop ...... make sure the motor dia. is 28mm and it will fit straight into the EZ* motor housing ..... anything smaller (like 20mm dia.) is going to require an adaptor of some sort which can be a pain the the $$$ ...... there are a dozens of 28mm inrunner motors to suit the EZ* and the thread I mentioned above can guide you to suit your budget and quality expectations ......