Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:43 AM
Joined Mar 2008
96 Posts
Help!
Multiplex Easycub questions

Hi Guys

Can anyone help me, I have a Multiplex Easycub coming as an Xmas present and want to know what size servo's would work best? I am not familliar with tiny-s servos. Also what's the best glue for EPP, I'm a balsa basher at heart and this is my first foamie.

Thanks

Rob
rbwindover is offline Find More Posts by rbwindover
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2008, 02:38 PM
Joined Jun 2008
38 Posts
Glue for EPP => UHU POR
I'm not shure about the servo's, but i think Hextronik 5-9(hobbycity) gram woul'd be good ...

niels
niels_niels is offline Find More Posts by niels_niels
Old Dec 10, 2008, 03:41 PM
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Joined Oct 2008
327 Posts
Multiplex Easy Cub

Friend of mine has one and it is a great airplane. It has a 55 in wingspan is a nice slow stable flier. I think he has hs55's in his but, but any other brand would do fine. It's a good size plane and will handle about what every will fit. His airplane floats like a bird and lands nice and slow. I'm sure you will enjoy it. He painted he bottom half of his lime green and it really turned out sharp. Merry Christmas, lots of luck. Am I correct that the glue with epp is not as critical?
Maq001 is offline Find More Posts by Maq001
Old Dec 23, 2008, 06:15 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Rob:

Multiplex normally suggests Medium CA and Accelerator to assemble thier planes. I've built about 6 or 8 of them and it's always worked well. You have to be fast to do it thier way, or you can place the parts, wick in some thin to medium, and then spray some kicker. Unlike pure EPP, the Elapor doesn't soak up as much CA and become as brittle.

Also, Uhu Por or Creative, GWS contact cement, Welder, and Goop all work well. Stay away from Epoxy if at all possible, unless you are laminating fiberglass (such as the nose of the AcroMaster).

I've got 2 Easy Cubs to build here, so I'm searching out the threads to see what others have done. Doesn't seem to be much info on them.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Dec 25, 2008, 04:02 AM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Sep 2007
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maq001
Friend of mine has one and it is a great airplane. It has a 55 in wingspan is a nice slow stable flier. I think he has hs55's in his but, but any other brand would do fine. It's a good size plane and will handle about what every will fit. His airplane floats like a bird and lands nice and slow. I'm sure you will enjoy it. He painted he bottom half of his lime green and it really turned out sharp. Merry Christmas, lots of luck. Am I correct that the glue with epp is not as critical?
Maq thanks for the compliment. I used HS-81s in this one and they work great.

gasser1933 is offline Find More Posts by gasser1933
Old Dec 25, 2008, 11:49 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,918 Posts
^Looks beautiful.

Also, on a side note, niels the foam is Elapor, wuite different then EPP.

I have found CA's to work the best with the foam, and it also makes the cleanest joint. Still very strong, and not as brittle as people seem to make it out to me. The foam just does something ot the CA.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Dec 26, 2008, 05:38 AM
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Joined Oct 2008
327 Posts
Gasser,
Tnx for the pic of your plane. I have it saved to my pictures, so when I decide to build one I'll know what it is supposed to look like. I think this is a great plane. It floats like an easystar, but turns on a dime. It lands slow and gentle and looks great in the air. Gee, guess I'd better get one.
Maq001 is offline Find More Posts by Maq001
Old Dec 26, 2008, 06:31 AM
Joined Mar 2008
96 Posts
Looks Greaaatt!!

Well...just unwrapped mine yesterday and read the instruction book with a view to building it in the next few days.

I noticed on the wing that there is scores in the foam to suggest you could put ailerons and flaps, just wondering if anyone has ever done that??

Also.......the rudder and elevator are you supposed to hinge them with tape or use the natural foam hinge I can't seem to see any reference in the instructions??

Merry Xmas all and happy new year........and here's to some long hot calm days to come....(Fat chance in the UK)

Rob
rbwindover is offline Find More Posts by rbwindover
Last edited by rbwindover; Dec 26, 2008 at 06:42 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 05:17 AM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Sep 2007
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwindover
Well...just unwrapped mine yesterday and read the instruction book with a view to building it in the next few days.

I noticed on the wing that there is scores in the foam to suggest you could put ailerons and flaps, just wondering if anyone has ever done that??

Also.......the rudder and elevator are you supposed to hinge them with tape or use the natural foam hinge I can't seem to see any reference in the instructions??

Merry Xmas all and happy new year........and here's to some long hot calm days to come....(Fat chance in the UK)

Rob
Just use the natural foam hinges. Work them back and forth a bit before connecting to the servos.
I think it has far too much dihedral for ailerons to be effective.
gasser1933 is offline Find More Posts by gasser1933
Old Jan 05, 2009, 10:39 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I just finished building one stock. I like it Flew great, right off the board, just 2 clicks of up trim.

I'm building the 2nd wing, now. Just chopped off the inside 2" from the wings to get rid of the dihedral. Now figuring out what to do next I think I have it figured out, will show soon!
Old Jan 07, 2009, 09:42 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Funny, I'm not a scale nut by any means, but the guys at Multiplex sure must have a sense of humor.

The nose is sorta from a SuperCub, with the wide mouth. But, they stuck the engine cylinders out the side like a J-3 The stripes are a cross between a Super Cub and a J-3. Not sure what the rear window is supposed to be from? No struts or spats (which doesn't really bother me).

The N2020M is from a real J-3: http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N2020M.html
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:47 PM
UH-1 Gunship, AH-1G jock 69-71
So Cal ... Kingdom of Taxes
Joined Nov 2008
440 Posts
Resuming from the stalled thread over at "Discussion - Easy Cub Ailerons?"

Easy Cub Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
I have already done it

I cut the wings at the root to remove the dihedral.
I cut the spars and added a c/f 6" tube glued inside one side of each.
I made some 1/8" ply plates for the hold-down screws, and glued to one side.
I added some 9mm EPP on the bottom for wing retention.
I cut out ailerons 50% more chord than the moldings show. I routed the hinge line.
I burried a 9g servo in each wing

Viola. It works great. Very little adverse yaw. Very much additional fun. Very little lost wing area. Very little weight gain. Very good mod!

I'll upload pictures when I get a chance...

Gene,

This is in reply to the post you had on the 'sour puss" Multiplex "controlled thread. I posted this reponse there, but heard nothing. So .....

I'd like to see your ailerons mods and especially your wing flattening mod pics, if you don't post them here, PLEASE start another thread or forum topic here, or if they are too "stuffed shirts" here on RE Groups, post it on RCUniverse and let us know where the URL is.

I'm contemplating the aileron mods, but only if I find a way to flatten the wings.

I agree with you, this thread SURE LOOKS LIKE it was dealing with the aileron mods! Maybe the thread title needs to be changed. Guess we're seeing things, huh?

I'm trying to turn the EC I have (bought for $40 off some kid who tired of it) into a cheap Mentor with Ailerons to tow gliders for our park flyer group.

Ps, I enjoyed your observations about the odd comical "hybrid" J3 / Super Cub nature of the Easy Cub.
makeitworst is offline Find More Posts by makeitworst
Old Mar 24, 2009, 06:45 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Sorry for the delay. Life's been hectic.

Here's some pictures from the wing mod, and the finished product.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 02:41 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
I like your wheel mod GB .... real bush style ..... I fly off grass and the big wheels look ideal for our field ....

I built a MPX Cub while waiting for a Parkmaster Kit to turn up last summer ..... must admit I like it and have suggested it to a couple of guys as a first plane ..... just waiting to Maiden one of them right now but the weather here has beed desperate for weeks now so no first flight for the guy yet ....

There's not a lot posted about the MPX Cub as far as I'm aware ...... pity because I think it deserves more attention ..... I did load a video of my first few takeoff's and I've posted a link below ..... one amazing thing is that the video has taken over eight thousand hits so lets hope it's encouraged some more kits to hit the air .....

Multiplex EasyCub (9 min 17 sec)
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:45 PM
UH-1 Gunship, AH-1G jock 69-71
So Cal ... Kingdom of Taxes
Joined Nov 2008
440 Posts
Smells like a Super Cub, trys to be a J3 and now it's a Clip Winged Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
Sorry for the delay. Life's been hectic.

Here's some pictures from the wing mod, and the finished product.
So Gene, you've taken the Multiplex confusion about what this plane is supposed to be, one step further with your mod - Smells like a Super Cub, trys to be a J3 and now it's a Clip Winged Cub..

I was hoping to find a way to heat and bend things to take the dihedral out, but no one has yet tried that apparently. I know it's not the same thing, but that's what I did to my FrankenEasyStar wings (immersed the tips in boiling water for about 2 minutes at a time, then pressed them flat, then dunked again .... about 5 times. Viola, flat ... and them added Ailerons out at the last 1/3 of the wing. Also did the 2700kv BL Inrunner thing, modded the rudder too.

Anyway - I may order an extra set of wings and try your clipping approach and still fiddle around with bending the originals somehow (still thinking about how). Only paid $40 for the plane including the Multiplex servos and it had 2-1/2 Dubro lite foam wheels, which is fine for taking off in even 2" grass at our field. Hell, the plane is off the ground in about 5 feet!

So, you went that nearly whole wing length with the ailerons and deeper to boot? Isn't it a bit "over aileroned"? How does it handle compared to the original? We still want mucho stability (for towing), but much improved response / control and then have some fun with it after towing up the gliders.

How did you make the hole for the servo? Exacto, soldering iron, or?

Can you explain a bit more about the CF struts you made and where they went, can't tell from the pics?

Last - what motor / size and batt are you using?

Thanks, glad I found your post.
makeitworst is offline Find More Posts by makeitworst
Last edited by makeitworst; Mar 24, 2009 at 11:51 PM.