HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Dr Kiwi, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 11:41 PM
I crash planes
USA, OH, Findlay
Joined Apr 2010
372 Posts
Is fly brushless site down? I can get home page but will not search or even let me go to register page.
bbjsw10 is offline Find More Posts by bbjsw10
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2011, 11:52 PM
Dayton Montgomery, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
259 Posts
I'm not sure exactly whats going on, I haven't made any changes to the site in a while. You have to love GoDaddy hosting....

I'm fighting a cold and don't have the energy to look at it tonight but I will look into it tomorrow as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for pointing out the problem.

Robert
rgoble is offline Find More Posts by rgoble
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:58 PM
Joined Sep 2004
259 Posts
I think I've figure out the issues but I'm not closer to solving the problem. I've got an email into GoDaddy's support but I don't have high hopes that they will be useful.

Its might be time to bite the bullet and move the site to a new host

Robert
Old Sep 10, 2011, 04:17 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,109 Posts
Good luck with it , Robert! I miss it's presence already...

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Sep 10, 2011, 05:00 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,543 Posts
Robert, may I suggest Blue Host? I've been using them for a number of years now and they've been pretty reliable. LAMPS hosting, with a number of pre-configured features you can just drop on to your site. I had my old rocket club site up there, plus my personal and business sites, plus those of a few clients, and even my current SRCB club site (www.suburbanrcbarnstormers.com). I have found the PHP support to be adequate, the MySQL support acceptable, and the uptime of the service is second to none. Tech support is usually good enough to get you out of trouble if you call during the day.

Price is around $84/year. The price seems to fluctuate depending on market forces, but I've never paid more than $96, I think.

Oh, yeah -- and you can do real Addtype and Addhandler through .htaccess, which is something that Go Daddy (ne Wild West) doesn't allow. This is important because I have all my sites set up to pass the HTML through the PHP parser for pre-HTML expansion. The search engines only see a straight-up HTML page, but the content is actually dynamically generated. Very convenient.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:36 AM
Joined Sep 2004
259 Posts
Ok guys I got it back up again.

GoDaddy's tech support wasn't super helpful as I expected but they did let me know they upgraded Apache which is what i figured. That did get me thinking though and I remembered I had to make a change to use ORIG_PATH_INFO instead of PATH_INFO to make it work in the first place on GoDaddy's server. Now that they upgraded Apache I just had to remove the work around.

Sorry for the downtime.

Robert
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:50 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,543 Posts
Thanks, Go Daddy, for the consistent inconsistency! Back when I was using Go Daddy for hosting I always struggled to get somebody who knew what they were talking about. I have a buddy and biz partner who is a reseller of Wild West's hosting services. Although I use him exclusively for domain registration I can't host any of my sites through his space provider because of the severe user limitations they put on how the space is hosted.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:22 AM
Garden Grove, California, United States
Joined Apr 2004
553 Posts
PA Thrust 10 Data?

Why can't I find any thrust figures for the PA Thrust 10 Motor?
cham is offline Find More Posts by cham
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:10 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cham View Post
Why can't I find any thrust figures for the PA Thrust 10 Motor?
Dr Kiwi has tested one of the PA motors, the Thrust 20, and the test data for that is in the FlyBrushless.com data base:

http://www.flybrushless.com/motor/view/65

And I'm sure a search of this forum would turn up one of his excellent and more detailed test reports.

The PA product web pages have links to the very detailed Data Sheets for their motors too. Those have have both static and dynamic testing data Here is the data sheet for the motor you asked about:

http://www.thrustmotors.com/thrust10.pdf

Jack
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:45 AM
Garden Grove, California, United States
Joined Apr 2004
553 Posts
Not sure why I didn't see that on their website, but thank you Jack
cham is offline Find More Posts by cham
Old Oct 28, 2011, 09:40 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cham View Post
Not sure why I didn't see that on their website, but thank you Jack
You're more than welcome, of course. Just out of curiosity, where did you buy that motor? I had not seen the Precision Aeronautics Thrust motors before and it is an interesting motor. Looks to be well designed for cooling and all the details on their web page are interesting. It's too bad that other motors don't have the same amount of detailed information and testing available.

I assume the motor is made in China as nearly all of the lower priced motors are. But if it is being made just for PA and to their design and specs (and with good supervision) it should be a better than average motor. It is priced quite a bit higher than the average cheap Chinese motor but that is fair enough, if you get more quality you have to expect to pay for it.

The specs on you 41 gram Thrust 10 motor put it's peak power rating at 185 Watts. That works out to 4.5 Watts peak per gram of motor weight. So the motor should be capable of a continuous 3 Watts per gram or so and that is better than most of the average quality motors will do.

Thrust 10 Motor specs
Outside Diameter 28mm
Length 31.7mm
Weight (gr/oz) 41.2gr / 1.45oz
Motor Shaft Dia. 3.0mm
Mounting Bolts Dia. M3
Max efficiency Current A * 6-12A
Peak current A (15 sec)* 16A
Battery pack range ** 2~3 LiPo / 6-10 NiCd
Poles 14
KV rpm/V 975
Recommended ESC PA Quantum 18
Peak Watts 185 watts

Jack
Old Oct 28, 2011, 03:46 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,543 Posts
This Precision Aeronautics outfit is Yet Another one of those places that uses a web site requiring Javascript just to see the content. I never visit an unknown site with Jabbascrapped enabled for fear of allowing the site to do Bad Things to my browser, host computer, or whatever. If they won't let me see content without Javascript then I guess they don't really want my business.

Silly gits.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 04:51 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,109 Posts
Get yourself a decent security program and browser and the javascript is not a problem.

I use Norton Internet Security. Not because it is the best but because I know how to use it and it works OK. I buy a 3 PC or 5 PC install version on eBay and it costs me about $10 a year for each computer. I sell the extra installs to neighbors or give them away...

Between NIS 2011 and the setting in FireFox, I am in charge, when I get to one of those dumba$$ed sites like you are talking about FireFox asks me if I want to look at or deal with the stupidity there and I decide it on a case by case basis.

You block javascript and you are blocking access to some of the most wonderful free calculators and stuff like that in the world.

Just my take on it....

Jack
Old Oct 29, 2011, 02:03 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,543 Posts
I only turn on Javascript for those sites I already know will not be harmful. I treat cookies like the modern day plague that they are, also. Of course I use the latest load of FF, with Cookiesafe and Noscript in the mix. I still keep the kaka out of my machine with settings that block the pills from polluting my storage space.

If someone wants me to buy their product they'll provide information about it on their site with a minimum of fuss. If I can't get to the content that describes a particular motor, dishwasher, or pair of shoes in three clicks or fewer, and without having to change any of the default security settings I have on my browser of choice, then they don't want my money and I don't want their product. Pretty simple.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 07:27 AM
Joined Sep 2004
259 Posts
I know when I was building www.flybrushless.com I tried very hard to make it still work without javascript. I believe most if it will still work with it turned off but I think some of the newer features might not, I don't recall testing them without it.