HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Dr Kiwi, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 01:06 PM
Joined Nov 2010
16 Posts
We have Murphy over here too JJ, in polite circles, Sod is a little less refined....but then to them it is just turf....so it's perfectly OK.
Heliosupersix is offline Find More Posts by Heliosupersix
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2010, 05:45 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
one thing I havn't seen anyone talk about is the phase beteewn I and E.
In and Inductor the E otherwise known as the voltage leads the current otherwise known as I by 90 degrees.
Now and in the resistance and you get even more of a phase shift.

Now we know that since we are dealing with an inductor as the frequency goes up so does the impedance creating even more phase shift.
Also because we are dealing with magnetic fields that are expanding an collapasing we have to look as hysteresis( residual) magnatism and eddy currents all a factor of the airgap, the material the winding are wound on and the strenght of the permanent magnet ie it's flux densisty.
We also have to look at the internal z ( impedance) of the esc because it to is a factor in the phase shift beteewn I and E.

Bringing the I an E into phase decrease the heat and increases power (I times E)
But because this is not a dc circut any more and you cannot simply mutiply I times E because they are not in phase. You have to know the phase shift beteewn the 2 in order to get a proper wattage reading.

Many manuf of large industrail motors take all this in account an add in a cap to do this with and they call this the power factor.
You see a cap is exactly oppsite of an inductor there by subbtacting it's impedance.
The impedance of an inductor is 2 pi fL where pi is 3.14, f is frequency and L is the inductance in henrys.
the impedance of a cap is 1 over 2pifC where c is the value of the cap.

So you see there are many many factors involved in our little motors
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Last edited by kerwin50; Dec 21, 2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 08:42 AM
Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia, Weeze
Joined Jul 2010
27 Posts
Hello everyone,

I hope someone here can help me. I bought a HXM2730 1300Kv motor from Hobbyking, waited for what felt like years for it to come. When it did arrive i managed to pull one of the wires off the motor befor i even got to use it. What i need is a winding diagram for a 12 toothe stator with 16 magnets. I have never wound a motor before but now seem like as good a time as any to start learning but i cant find to right diagram anywhere. Please help.
mike300765 is offline Find More Posts by mike300765
Old Dec 08, 2010, 08:43 AM
Joined Jul 2010
27 Posts
sorry about the typos. i wrote the above with my feet.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 10:51 AM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
Send a PM to "Timocharis" (Dave North)... he is one of the winding gurus on RC Groups.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Dec 08, 2010, 01:27 PM
Joined Jul 2010
27 Posts
thanks. i'll do tha.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 04:21 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike300765 View Post
Hello everyone,

I hope someone here can help me. I bought a HXM2730 1300Kv motor from Hobbyking, waited for what felt like years for it to come. When it did arrive i managed to pull one of the wires off the motor befor i even got to use it. What i need is a winding diagram for a 12 toothe stator with 16 magnets. I have never wound a motor before but now seem like as good a time as any to start learning but i cant find to right diagram anywhere. Please help.
This may be the thread you are looking for.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1025188

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Dec 08, 2010, 04:57 PM
Joined Jul 2010
27 Posts
Thanks. for the help
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:43 AM
BOTHELL,WA. NORTHEAST OF SEATTLE
Joined Jun 2005
286 Posts
I've looked around and can't find a thread that mentions motor timing, I've always wondered if timing would help any of my motor applications as far as changing motor timing with the ESC, any help with refering me to a thread or a strait out answer from one of the knowledgable folks out there would be great.

George
faststick is offline Find More Posts by faststick
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:42 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,358 Posts
Here is a timing article that might help you

http://homepage.mac.com/kmyersefo/timing/timing.htm
Ken Myers is offline Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:58 AM
Joined Jun 2005
286 Posts
Interesting read, but I think it's way over my head! I think I'll just use the "recomended" settings and continue being in the dark!

George
Old Dec 18, 2010, 03:23 PM
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
Paraphrasing the gist of Ken's fine article, if I may... "most of the time, 'low advance' works best".
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:53 PM
Joined Jun 2005
286 Posts
I got that much out of it Phil! Thank you!

George
Old Dec 22, 2010, 01:14 PM
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
Robert has just added a bunch of motors from my recent testing: there are now 518 motors in the database.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 01:32 AM
Dayton Montgomery, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
259 Posts
I just added a new feature to that site that was suggested to me by bbjsw10, and I would like some feedback about it. He suggested that I add a way to find other motors that are similar to the one your looking at, which I though was a great idea so I added it to the site. Here is a direct link showing similar motors for a Dualsky - XM 2822 CA-24

Previously when viewing a motor there was a "Compare" link located under its name. I replaced that with a "Show Similar" link. When you follow it, you will see a table with the name/weight/kv/dimensions of the motor you were viewing and below it is a second table showing the same fields for all "similar" motors.

Right now a "similar" motor is one that is within +/- 10% of the weight and +/- 20% of the Kv.

I'd like to know what you think about the values I used to find similar motors and also if there is something you don't like about the way its being displayed. Any other feed back is also welcome.

Thanks,
Robert
rgoble is offline Find More Posts by rgoble