HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by szastoupil, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:31 AM
Registered User
timflight1's Avatar
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
626 Posts
We have the formal go ahead from the Engineers and the City of Appleton DPW to proceed with the topsoil project. We simply need to advise them when the work will take place. We must control erosion and add grass seed as well as hay if necessary. Topsoil should not exceed 75 yards for the project. If at any point the tractor tires compress the cap, we must stop all work until such time the ground is hard enough to support the weight of the tractor.

Topsoil must be applied only to the approved areas as shown in Jim's graphic (not attached). The engineers reviewed the mapped areas against existing gas header and header line location to ensure the depressions are not located over any of the gas systems.
timflight1 is offline Find More Posts by timflight1
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2010, 08:30 AM
end user
knighttwister's Avatar
USA, WI, Neenah
Joined Feb 2006
1,079 Posts
October 2010 Meeting minutes.

The meeting was called to order at 7:00 P.M. by club president Cris Zangle. There were 18 members present.

Secretary's report
Approved as read.

Treasurer's report
The finance report was read.
The Department of public works approved our lease for ten years with no increase in rent. The common council also approved the lease
The top soil project has been approved.
Where does our money go? Contact Tim if you want a copy of the pie chart that was passed around at the meeting.
The report was approved as presented.

Sod farm report
The east end is chopped up pretty good, and the west end has been turned over. There is still plenty of room to use for flying. Moving the porta poddy was discussed. There seems to be no need for a concrete base that was discussed at an earlier meeting. The keys for the chains are in the pin box.
Remember that when there is frost on the sod you MAY NOT walk on it. this will destroy the grass for next year.

Quarry Field report
The field is looking good. The top soil will be delivered Tuesday the 10.12.2010.
Dan will distribute the loads to their chosen places on the runway, and work on leveling will start this Saturday the 16th.
Flying will still be possible if you stay in the middle of the runway.

Indoor Flying
Trader has been contacted, but no information was received as of the date of this meeting. Bob is ninety percent sure it will be available for us to use. Todd will check with Soccer Heaven, but he is not very optimistic. We will look into using some warehouses in the area and also Riverside Lutheran Church gymnasium.

Old business
The adopt a highway project was updated by Jay. It is a three time a year event on a stretch of two miles. All the supplies will be furnished by the county highway department. These include reflective vests, bags, etc.
County Highway "A" is available.
The adopt a roundabout project was updated by Reg. The county information is a bit vague. In Appleton on Evergreen drive there will be three new roundabouts put in sometime in the future. The style of these roundabouts are still unknown and no policies for adoption are apparent at this time. There are indications however that a monetary donation would be the main possibility, with a sign stating the sponsor's name. There will be more information to come.
Jay revisited using the Northern Aces Show Team for our events next year. Their schedule proposals run from December to March and will be offered every other weekend for the season. The cost is fifty to seventy five dollars depending on the type of presentation. This should be considered at the next meeting.
New Business
A motion was made and approved that the certificates of deposit should be combined in hopes of a higher return in the form of interest accrued.
A motion was also made and approved to add one thousand dollars to the certificate of deposit
The shed and gate locks are to be replaced with new ones with a five place combination that includes numbers ,letters and symbols. An e-mail will be sent to all paid members.
A discussion was held to purchase another porta poddy late in the season to maybe get a good deal. The Quarry Field needed service at the time of the meeting, but it has been done since.
A discussion on visitors with AMA membership was held. We currently allow each visitor three visits per year before requiring membership. In the case of gliders, there seems to be a limited policing capability when it comes to this.
The bylaws need to be brought up to date every January. Now is the time to be thinking of any changes that need to be made. The AMA in 2005 asked for a copy of bylaws and were submitted.
The field rules can be change at any time when a need arises to do so.
The statement was made that the Department of Homeland Security is taking a close look at the larger scale aircraft in our hobby. We must always be sure to put forth a positive face to the public and to each other.
Truing to get our name out to the world on the internet was discussed. Search engines look for keywords, and we need to think of some to put on the forum and our basic site. Please bring some ideas to the next meeting or start a discussion forum for this.
Which rules to follow regarding our meetings were discussed.

Jonathan Hager Has soloed! Congratulations Jonathan! Jonathan received a document showing his accomplishment.

Nominations for club officers will be needed at the November meeting and voted on at the December meeting. All positions except secretary have been offered to be carried over for next year. This does not mean that nominations will be refused for any and all positions. If you feel that you would like to have another member considered for any position, please nominate him or her.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:18 P.M.

Another late submission.
Jim Van Linn
Secretary
Valley Aero Modelers.
knighttwister is offline Find More Posts by knighttwister
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:27 AM
Scott Zastoupil
szastoupil's Avatar
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighttwister View Post
Truing to get our name out to the world on the internet was discussed. Search engines look for keywords, and we need to think of some to put on the forum and our basic site. Please bring some ideas to the next meeting or start a discussion forum for this.
Interesting comments. Not sure what else can be done on this, but open to suggestions. The RCGroups forums is not the point of entry for club information, it's http://flyvam.com. Just as a background the search hit rate vs. keyword relevance is very good when using Google. I'm guessing the term "world" is used loosely and more accurately described as Appleton/Fox Cities area, because this where our market presence is at. I encourage members to try different keywords in a Google search to see how easy/difficult it is to find VAM. Ie. "appleton wi model airplane" will result in VAM as the #1 ranked hit. Additional food for thought is to try to find other clubs in the area using Google just for the sake of comparison and determine the results success. Pretend you are visiting the geographic area from a land far away and don't know any field names and want to hook up with local model aviation enthusiasts. One good example of this a model airplane guy contacted me from the Czech Republic a couple years ago saying he found VAM on the internet and that he'd be visiting the area for work (KC). He dearly wanted an RC sailplane kit that was crazy expensive to ship to the Czech Republic and was wondering if I could preorder it for him and meet to drop it off. The bonus for me was visiting with someone from the other side of the world with a common interest of RC soaring, engineering, and a free lobster dinner as appreciation. I suggest sending comments and suggestions directly to me and not a lengthy discussion here. szastoupil "at" yahoo.com
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Last edited by szastoupil; Oct 20, 2010 at 10:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 04:14 PM
Former B52H Crew Chief
aerofly0610's Avatar
Green Bay WI
Joined Feb 2009
781 Posts
i think they are talking about embedded meta tags that the engine crawlers look for. Itll take the webmaster like 5 minutes to update the site html.
aerofly0610 is offline Find More Posts by aerofly0610
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 04:53 PM
Scott Zastoupil
szastoupil's Avatar
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,629 Posts
Maybe. I'll have to visit with a club officer offline to get a better idea the purpose of the comment. I can only speculate if it's a desire for increased club forum participation, increased advertising to the public for increasing membership, more points on a website hit counter, etc.?
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:35 PM
Registered User
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2010
237 Posts
Regarding the roundabouts on Evergreen, two of them are already completed and you can get to them from the Ballard Road side. There will definitely be lot's of traffic through these once the rest of the road opens up, but there are so many traffic signs, etc. around them that I'm not sure anyone would notice a 'sponsored by' sign.
Jimmitude is offline Find More Posts by Jimmitude
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 01:07 PM
T.R. miller
tr miller's Avatar
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Nov 2008
593 Posts
scott....they want it easier to find the vam home paige when searching the internet by inserting key words
tr miller is offline Find More Posts by tr miller
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 01:22 PM
end user
knighttwister's Avatar
USA, WI, Neenah
Joined Feb 2006
1,079 Posts
November Meeting Minutes

NOVEMBER 8, 2010 MEETING MINUTES

The meeting was called to order at 7:02 P.M. by club president Cris Zangl
There were 14 members and two guests in attendance.

Secretary's report
was read and approved

Treasurer's report
There was a big change in balances due to the Quarry field repairs which had a slite
over run. The break down for the project is available from Tim upon request.
The 2011 membership dues are being accepted. The final acceptance date is March 15, 2011
Any dues received after that date will be considered late.
Soda returns are $76. This is up one dollar from last year.
The report was approved.

Sod Farm report
The sod farm is in good shape but please remember that if there is frost present DO NOT
walk on it. Permanant damage to the sod will occur.
The porta poddy tie downs have been removed and Tim will call to have it removed. the pin box was moved to Quarry field for winter storage.

Quarry Field report
The U.S flag has been changed and four more were purchased by Jim for future use. They are stored at his residence as they were purchased with his personal funds and will be donated to the club individually as needed.

There was some talk at the field recently about doing some repairs on the shelter by club members. please refrain form doing so if you were planning on doing repairs. Tim has contacted the installers and the will take care of it under warranty which is good for another 16 years. It is reated for 90 mph winds.

Indoor Flying.
It was mentioned that indoor flying can be done at Player's Choice and it would be advantagious to get a group together before we go so we can have a better chance of getting in for the future. the more flyers we have each time would go a lng way to let them know they can depend on more than just two or three of us to show up.
a thread will be started on our rcgroups forum for this.

Old business

The search words for our internet site was again discussed with no fruitful outcome.
It was mentioned again that according to protocol the flag at Quarry Field should be lighted. Jim feels that the donation of the flags and flagpole should be a source for gratitude, and if someone would consider donating the pole light, it would be greatly appreciated but in the meantime, if you have a complaint, you can be the remedy for it and get one yourself.
Patriotism for show is not a concern for him.

New Business
The show and auction will be Sunday, March 6, 2011. at the Wave.
Tim has placed the ad in Model Aviation Magazine.
Galaxy Science and Hobby has graciously agreed to co-sponsor the event. Thank you Wade!
The opening time and numerous auction times were discussed. it is felt that two or three short auctions would be more beneficial to all.
The categories for show planes and the procedure for public voting on them and the times they should be held, was also discussed.
Funds in the amount for 600 dollars was requested and approved for auction prizes and expenses (?) for the show and raffle.
Jerry All, a long time member of our club has donated a large number of kits and motors and other rc items.
The club is very grateful for this wonderful gift. It will be gone through and decided how to put it to good use.
Thank you Jerry, for being such a valued member for all these many years.
The member at large position was thought to be an elected position by some member but it is an appointed one.
The out going secretary would consider this position if offered.
Reg asked the treasurer if there has been an independent audit of the treasury recently. He was informed that
the records of every transaction can be viewed at any club meeting by any member with prior notice. He was also informed that we have been very careful in submitting every form that the state requires for our sort of organization by an independent financial company.
Nominations for club secretary are needed.
Reg Reinke was nominated for the position for secretary and he refused the nomination citing previous service to the club.
We need a club secretary by the end of January 2011. If you have ever wanted to serve the club this is a good time to do so. it is personally rewarding, and gratifying.
Due to a glitch scheduling, the January and February meetings will be held one week later than normal in room, s2.

December meeting
This will be a special one. We will have refreshments after the meeting. Please bring some treats to pass around. We will also have PIZZA from Little Ceasar's , and soda.
Please bring your membership dues!

Meeting adjourned at 8:15 P.M.

secretary,
Valley Aero Modelers
knighttwister is offline Find More Posts by knighttwister
Last edited by knighttwister; Nov 17, 2010 at 08:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:37 PM
Chris Zangl, VAM President
Boom Strike's Avatar
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Nov 2004
406 Posts
Needed

as many know we are still looking for a new Secretary, if anyone would like to fill this position for the upcoming year speak up soon, or if some knows of anyone(maybe a wife) this position does not require alot of work, just record and post what was said at the meetings.
Boom Strike is offline Find More Posts by Boom Strike
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 06:24 AM
end user
knighttwister's Avatar
USA, WI, Neenah
Joined Feb 2006
1,079 Posts
club officer duties

just read the constitution. thanks to Tim, it seems that the secretary has somewhat skated by in following his duties.

Duties:
a. Board of Directors: the management of the affairs of the Club shall be
vested in the Board of Directors who shall have the authority to establish
and administer its policies. Official decisions may be made by a twothirds
(2/3) majority mail vote or by a quorum at a Board of Director
meeting. A quorum shall consist of at least 50% of the current Board
members.
b. President: The President shall preside at all meetings of the Club and shall
act as spokesperson in all matters pertaining to it. President is primary
AMA contact person in case of questions, problems or situations.
a. Vice-President: The Vice-President shall act for the President when
he/she is unable to serve, and is to maintain an accurate record (including
place of storage) of all Club assets.
b. Secretary: The Secretary shall record minutes of each Club meeting and
handle all correspondence pertaining to Club activities.
c. Treasurer: The Treasurer shall collect all moneys due and shall keep a
record of moneys received and disbursed by the Club. Treasurer is primary
AMA contact for reasons of normal official club business and for
verifying AMA membership.
6. Appointed Officers/Vacancies: Vacancy in any office shall be filled by a
willing member receiving nomination and a simple majority vote of the
members at a meeting. Term of this officer shall continue until the end of the
term for which his predecessor was elected and shall not count as one term
under Article IV Section 4.
knighttwister is offline Find More Posts by knighttwister
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 05:31 PM
Registered User
timflight1's Avatar
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
626 Posts
Time Change: G&C Carports will be in town to tighten up the pavilion at 8:30am on Wednesday (11/24). If anyone wants to come out, we'll be out there.

Tim
timflight1 is offline Find More Posts by timflight1
Last edited by timflight1; Nov 23, 2010 at 10:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:21 AM
end user
knighttwister's Avatar
USA, WI, Neenah
Joined Feb 2006
1,079 Posts
December 13, 2010 Meeting Minutes

The meeting was called to order at 7:02 P.M by club president Cris Zangl. There were 17 members present.

Secretary's report
was read and approved

Treasurer's report
There was a big increase in checking caused by many members paying their annual dues and from the sale of the items that were so generously donated by Jerry Al, which generated more than 350 dollars in sales. 150 dollars was reterned to the Als.
Cds # 3 and 4 mature November 26 2011 at 1.6% interest.
There has been a good start on members paying their dues and as a reminder, you have till March 15 2011 to get them in without loosing your member in good standing status.
The report was approved by all members present

Sod Farm report
The porta potty people were called to have it removed.

Quarry Field report
Maintenance was performed on the pavillion by Tim and Jay with approval from G&C. . All screws were tightened and are now in good shape. The porta poddy was winterized.
Craige will perform preventive maintenance on the Gravely.
Thank you gentlemen for your ongoing commitment to the club.

Indoor Flying
The schedule for flying at Carl Tregor is posted on the Winnebago Flyers web site and can be found here; http://www.wrcf.rchomepage.com/Indoo...doorFlying.htm
There is a new system for flying rc and free flight this year. We will alternate between r/c, and free flight during the same day. there will be alloted time for each type and will be announced when types will be changing by the person in charge.
There seems to be no interest in forming a group to fly at Player's Choice this year.

Old Business
There was a comparative graff passed around by Tim to show the results of the investment and return for past shows.
Prizes are going to be purchased from Galaxy some time this month. The DLE 20 gasoline engine is the only prize that has been marked for purchase at this time.
Tim has sent letters to all of our common vendors such as Horizon and others with a request for prize donations.
A discussion for suggesting prizes was held. The Hobby Zone Champ was suggested along with a flight simulator.
The buget of 1600 dollars was presented and approved for the event.
Thank you Tim for your outstanding effort put forth for this year and the years past. You have made this event grow by leaps and bounds. The club owes you a deep debt and much gratitude.

New business
Tim Miller has accepted the nomination for club secretary.
The membership voted to elect Tim M. as secretary, Chris Z. as president, Jay S. as vice president and Tim S. as treasurer.
Congratulations to all.
Jim had mentioned that he had concerns about Jay having some difficulty attending meeting seeing as his new job has him working from the wee hours of the morning. After discussing this with Jay, it was made clear that his work schedule would not present a problem for him to attend the meetings in the up comming year.
The club library has vhs format video tapes that are held at Todd Fischer's residence. It was suggeted the the club donate these tapes to the Little Chute Library if they would have them or perhaps put them in the sale and auction potion of the the show March 6 2011.

Motion to adjourn
was made and approved. The meeting was adjourned at 7:49 P.M.

After the adjournment, Bob Johnson gave a very informative presentation on what to do with your lipos after they havs reached the end of their service life. thank you Bob.

After Meeting Party.
There was a good display of appetizers brought by various members of the club and four pizzas were purched by the club.
There was great brotherhood given to all who shared at this post meeting party.
This member is truely gratefull for all the kinship that has been given by this great group of people. There seems to be a never ending sense of support and well being in this group that constantly amazes me. I for one am proud to be part of such a membership.
It is my prayer that each and every one of us be blessed with health and goodwill this comming year.
May God bless you all!
Merry Christmas and a Happy New year!

It has been my honor and great privilage to serve as secretay of the Vally Aero Modelers these past twelve months.
I wish to express my gratitude for all the support i have received throughout the year. I also wish to thank those who have made me aware of my short commings in the performance of my duties and i have since strived to employ a higher sense of diligence to them.

With deep gratitude and pride, i hereby submit my last report for my term as
Secretary,
Vally Aero Modelers.
Jim Van Linn
knighttwister is offline Find More Posts by knighttwister
Last edited by knighttwister; Dec 27, 2010 at 02:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:22 PM
T.R. miller
tr miller's Avatar
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Nov 2008
593 Posts
January 17th 2011 meeting minutes

meeting called to order at 7:15 P.M. by club president Chris Zangl with 5 members present.

Secretary's report was read and approved without conflict

Treasurer's report
there was a large amount spent for the month of December for the lease, show and auction, raffle license, deposit for hall and insurance. Please get your membership renewals in as early as possible.

Sod farm
no report was given

Quarry field
field was in excellent flying shape as of the 9th, potty was not emptied or winterized, Tim will dump a bag of salt in to help from freezing.

Indoor flying
flying is in full swing in both Appleton and Oshkosh. If a group of people would like to fly at players choice they need to post to be sure we have enough people to make it worth while.

Old business
none to speak of

New business
auction will be held at Waverly beach do to the closing of the wave at the end of the month, some concern was expressed as to the fact of we might be short on tables, we will not have the 100 we have had in past years. 37 clubs were sent out info for our show and auction. A lot of the prizes have already been secured. It was suggested we consider other prizes to give out for the show planes other than trophy's, Tim will be checking prices on a plaque. The quarry field lease was renewed for 2011 and the price is locked in for 2011-2015 for $400.00 plus the cost of property taxes in the amount of $249.00.
Long time club member Jerry All has passed away, Tim attended the funeral and shared some stories with Jerry's family. There will need to be some maintenance done to quarry field in the spring, to include painting, and some general fixing up. It was also suggested again we consider a larger sign on the entrance fence as well as some signage on the pavilion. We will also be planning a past member memorial board to eternally thank the members no longer with us for their membership over the years. The club president Chris Zangl appointed Bob Rahmlow as the 2011 quarry field Marshall and Howard Boelter the assistant field Marshall.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:10
after the meeting Jay had a foam plane to show and tell, thanks jay!

Minutes submitted by Tim "T.R." Miller
valley aero modelers secretary
tr miller is offline Find More Posts by tr miller
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:05 AM
T.R. miller
tr miller's Avatar
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Nov 2008
593 Posts
February 21st 2011 meeting minutes

The meeting was called to order at 7:05PM by club president Chris zangl, with 9 members present

Secretary's report was read and approved

Treasurers report
current paid membership is 36, down from 80 last year. now is the time to renew your 2011 membership. taxes were filed and paid, deposit from wave was received.

Sod farm report
pretty quiet

Quarry field report
salt was added to potty, horse bob had been out and plowed

Indoor flying
in Appleton and Oshkosh, see rcg for details

Old business
none to speak of

New business
Sunday June 12th will be the annual fun fly. July meeting will be held at quarry field, august meeting will be at the sod farm. volunteers will be needed to set up for the show and auction, we will be meeting at 5:30AM at Waverly. other volunteers are also needed please contact Tim if you can help out. all prizes have been secured. vam has been named as a AMA gold leader again this year! we were asked to participate in old time brennand days by having some planes to fly as well as show. a fire extinguisher is needed for the son farm.

Meeting was adjourned at 7:50PM

After the meeting Chris had his new charger to show and tell, thanks Chris!

Minutes submitted by Tim "T.R." Miller
valley aero modelers secretary
tr miller is offline Find More Posts by tr miller
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:34 PM
T.R. miller
tr miller's Avatar
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Nov 2008
593 Posts
March 14 2011 meeting minutes

The meeting was called to order at 7:05 by club president Chris Zangl, with 12 members present

Secretary's report was read and approved

Treasurers report
Current paid members is at 49. Show and auction financials were shared, we had a good profit despite the extra costs that were incurred due to a location change. The time is here to renew memberships!

Sod farm report
Potty has been picked up, members are anxious to get back out and fly

Quarry field report
Bob has been keeping the driveway plowed, T.R. was out to fly on Friday evening, Jay was out on Sunday and could start to see some bare spots on the runway that have melted off

Indoor flying
Only a hand full of days left to fly, see RCG for dates and times

Old business
Jay had inquired on prices for a new banner and gate sign...4X12 foot banner$145.00 ....4X6 foot sign on weatherproof board for front gate $100.00. (update) The old time brennand days we were asked to participate in is to benefit kids with cancer.

New business
It is the time of year to look into a new vendor to service our potty's, we will be pricing having the sod farm serviced once a month and quarry field twice a month for the months of June - august. A solar refrigerator will again be priced out for use at quarry field. A general field repair day will be held at quarry field ( date to be determined ), also the Jerry All fund will be looked at to provide the funds to build some new starting tables. We will be price shopping the cost to build new pilot stations from steel. The club submitted the video of the show to AMA to possibly receive some funds to support the summer reading program and the kid's with cancer fund. Flyers are out for the June 12th fun fly, please post some up to help promote the next fund raiser for the club. The field Marshall will be gathering a list of things needed for the repair day if you know of materials, or equipment parts needed please get a hold of B.O.B or post them so we are sure to allocate the funds at the next meeting. The entire vam membership would like to thank the sponsors of the raffle for their support to include great planes, holiday inn, hitec, eaa, ace hardware, the brewers, micro fasteners, north side hardware, Sig, troy built, packers, bad brad, a big thanks to aero works, and thanks to galaxy for their help again this year, also Joe Fritz for the helicopter! Much thanks to all it was a great show!


Meeting was adjourned at 8:00pm

After the meeting Chris shared his newest helicopter and a new foam jet he had built. thanks Chris!

Minutes submitted by Tim "T.R." Miller
valley aero modelers secretary
tr miller is offline Find More Posts by tr miller
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools