Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 08, 2008, 07:52 PM
Joined Sep 2008
67 Posts
Discussion
Lightest Rc Foamie

I was thinking the other day about how light you could really make a rc plane. What about a contest on who could make the lightest plane? It would have to be made out of parts you can purchase. If you have any ideas please post them.
acdcrocks4 is offline Find More Posts by acdcrocks4
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2008, 08:04 PM
Joined Jan 2008
389 Posts
I love these contest ideas. Brings out the innovation in us. When I was a kid we had a contest at our elementary school. You had to build something to protect an egg from breaking when dropped from increasing heights. I did not win, but designing and experimenting with ideas was fun and one of the most memorable projects I ever did.
Lightest foamie seems appropriate as electronics get smaller and more capable all the time. Light weight is always a concern for almost every design. Some new ideas that could be applied to any build might come from this contest. Great idea.
Unfortunately, I don't even barely have time to build a blu beagle in time for x-mas let alone try to experiment. Oh well.
nikg is offline Find More Posts by nikg
Old Dec 08, 2008, 08:06 PM
Joined Sep 2008
67 Posts
That's fine, but tell all your friends about it though because most people like challenges.

thanks for the comments
Last edited by acdcrocks4; Dec 09, 2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2008, 08:50 PM
is it flying time?
Wyandotte Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
2,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdcrocks4
I was thinking the other day about how light you could really make a rc plane. What about a contest on who could make the lightest plane? It would have to be made out of parts you can purchase. If you have any ideas please post them.
Do you mean something like this? Span 7",3.6 grams using off the shelf components.

Jerry
Jerry Combs is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Combs
Old Dec 08, 2008, 10:31 PM
Unregistered User
White Rock BC/Blaine WA
Joined Apr 2007
595 Posts
I think that you should set a minimum wing span, something like 30" for this contest. Otherwise it's basically just going to turn into a contest for who can build the smallest plane.

Sounds interesting though.
liam2317 is offline Find More Posts by liam2317
Old Dec 08, 2008, 10:59 PM
Joined Sep 2008
67 Posts
yes. That plane looks amazing! do you have any videos
Old Dec 08, 2008, 11:08 PM
is it flying time?
Wyandotte Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
2,777 Posts
There is a video in the thread on the model on the 2nd page.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=7+Steerman

This is not my lightest foamie.
Jerry Combs is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Combs
Old Dec 09, 2008, 05:24 PM
Joined Sep 2008
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liam2317
I think that you should set a minimum wing span, something like 30" for this contest. Otherwise it's basically just going to turn into a contest for who can build the smallest plane.

Sounds interesting though.

i think that is a good idea how about 30 in.
Old Dec 09, 2008, 06:15 PM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
250mg (1/4g) a couple days ago in the indoor/micro area. He had to cut the already tiny 10mah battery in half to get weight down.

Quote:
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Dec 09, 2008, 06:41 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Quote:
Lightest Rc Foamie: I was thinking the other day about how light you could really make a rc plane. What about a contest on who could make the lightest plane? It would have to be made out of parts you can purchase. If you have any ideas please post them.
One question: the title of this thread is about the lightest foamie.
Would this contest be restricted to foamies?
I know of some pretty light planes that are basically CF rod and cloth, like an IFO.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Dec 09, 2008, 07:34 PM
Joined Aug 2008
18 Posts
Quote:
Might be a good method for everyone to learn about exact scale factors, or help those of us that might be a little challanged to understand better, the art of eliminating weight yet retaining exact scale size.
RonLL is offline Find More Posts by RonLL
Old Dec 09, 2008, 07:37 PM
Joined Jan 2008
389 Posts
Rich -- do you have a link to that micro plane. Sounds unbelievable. I will actually refuse to believe it until I see it
nikg is offline Find More Posts by nikg
Old Dec 09, 2008, 07:51 PM
Joined Sep 2008
67 Posts
yes it would be restricted to foamies
Old Dec 09, 2008, 08:43 PM
Newport News, VA USA
Joined May 2001
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikg
Rich -- do you have a link to that micro plane. Sounds unbelievable. I will actually refuse to believe it until I see it
I'm not Rich, but here you go.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=961876

Incredible craftsmanship.
Sotos is offline Find More Posts by Sotos
Old Dec 10, 2008, 02:40 AM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
A minimum wingspan is definitely needed, if not there are already plenty of micromodels on the other side of the forum. 30" appears to be a good size to go with regular planes.
And: foam means only foam, or foam at least one percentage of the weight, etc? Not to be too precise, but what if I build a wing structure in foam and cover with mylar?
tacchino is offline Find More Posts by tacchino