HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2008, 07:14 PM
Fortson, Georgia
Joined Sep 2004
126 Posts
Discussion
Anyone know about OK Cub engines

I saw some OK Cub engines for sale, does anyone know if the engines are still in production? Are they as good and dependable as the Cox 049s? I went to their web site and it appears they make train stuff and two types of glow engines. However I googled and could not get any good information. Can someone enlighten me about their product.
digdugb17 is offline Find More Posts by digdugb17
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2008, 07:36 PM
Joined Oct 2008
816 Posts
You can still buy them as you have found.
They are not the best you can buy but serve well for some.

it is hard to tell you what you want to know without more specific questions.
LT
lightthings is offline Find More Posts by lightthings
Old Dec 08, 2008, 07:49 PM
Fortson, Georgia
Joined Sep 2004
126 Posts
I needed some .049 engines for some control line Blackhawk models that I am building. I need a few engines to put on them that are dependable, I am looking at the OK Cub engines because they have the fuel tank attached to the crankcase which is really what I need. I have never even seen an OK Cub engine and wondered if someone had used them and found them to be a reasonably reliable engine like the Cox. I guess they use 15 to 25% glow fuel like the Cox engines.

Do them use a standard glow plug or do they have a special glow head like the Cox?
Old Dec 08, 2008, 09:55 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
My experience only: I had a Cub 049 in the early 50s, bought simply because it was cheap. My buddy's Spitzy 045 had more power, started easier, and was lighter. His 065 made the Cub look silly. It had a standard plug IIRC.

When I had some experiences with the Cox 049s, I never ran my Cub again.
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Dec 08, 2008, 10:55 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,745 Posts
Well, of COURSE an .065 will make an .049 look silly!! It's 30% bigger.

The Cubs were like OS nowadays -- completely reliable, simple to operate, and cheaper. Not as powerful as Wasps, not as finiky as Spitzys or K&B. I loved mine -- had .049, .049x and several .074's. Nice memories.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Dec 08, 2008, 11:36 PM
Airplane Gearhead
Central N.Y.
Joined Jan 2005
1,144 Posts
Made in Herkimer N.Y....about 25 or so miles from me...
Last time a friend enquired, they said they no longer gave tours of the shop, and IIRC they were assembling some engines from what parts they had left, and then that would be it. That was a few years ago...not sure if they've resumed production or what?

They use a std. short plug...a hot one...and use a fuel with preferably all Castor oil content (or the majority of it castor) 20-25% oil and 10-20% nitro will work...6x3 or 5x4 props have worked for me.
They don't have the power of a Baby Bee .049 but will fly a Scientific (now Blackhawk) "log" plane well enough on short (25' or so) lines.
I have one that starts right up nicely, and another one that is a real pain to start...not sure why exactly...
proptop is offline Find More Posts by proptop
Last edited by proptop; Dec 08, 2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2008, 12:15 AM
Fortson, Georgia
Joined Sep 2004
126 Posts
Thanks for the information on the Cub 049s, for the price and the real amount of time I will be using them I am going to go ahead and get two. The price is right, and besides I guess the days of a small engine with the fuel tank and engine in one piece may be coming to an end. It just makes the build easier. I am painting the planes now and maybe I can put some pictures on the site later.
Old Dec 09, 2008, 12:25 AM
Airplane Gearhead
Central N.Y.
Joined Jan 2005
1,144 Posts

Will be looking forward to seeing those pics...
proptop is offline Find More Posts by proptop
Old Dec 09, 2008, 04:04 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,246 Posts
Umm What's wrong with finding an Old Cox Black Widow?? Last time I looked they came with fuel tanks attached :-)
My own OK cub was utter garbage Hard to start, barely ran and had V little power.
That was over 40 years ago.. and I still remember because it Was such a dissapointment.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Dec 09, 2008, 08:52 PM
Fortson, Georgia
Joined Sep 2004
126 Posts
Well l ordered two of the OK Cubs yesterday for $25 each. Both new without the glow plugs, I guess they would take something like an A3. I was told to use a low nitro content like 15%. I have a bunch of Cox 049s that I bought before the prices went up, and up, and up. I manage to paint some of the planes today and now I need some Clear Aerogloss to finish them..........and paint the little pilots. Those Blackhawk planes are just to cool, even if I don't fly them all I have really enjoyed building them. I needed some simple planes to build....because.......well...............there simple. Maybe pictures in a few days.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 08:55 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,272 Posts
Back in the days of yore our family had a Scientific Miss Worlds Fair r/c escapement, powered by a .024 Cub. Flew the pants off the airplane, the Cub always started easy and had enough power to fly the all sheet balsa model, including the r/c gear. My Dad also had a Live Wire with a Cub .09 and it too had enough power to pull it around. Everybody has different experiences.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:33 PM
Joined Oct 2008
816 Posts
Digdug, I look forward to your success with your cubs. Please keep us posted.

Quote by aeronca52:
"Back in the days of yore our family had a Scientific Miss Worlds Fair r/c escapement, powered by a .024 Cub. Flew the pants off the airplane, the Cub always started easy and had enough power to fly the all sheet balsa model, including the r/c gear. My Dad also had a Live Wire with a Cub .09 and it too had enough power to pull it around. Everybody has different experiences."

How true. Seems these days that more is expected of engines besides reliability.
I read and see many planes designed for no more than a tee dee Cox 049-051 and find that these models are getting .15 and even .25 engines and hear tell of unlimited vertical and honking speeds. What happened to flying Live Wires with an 09 or a Scientific Miss World's Fair with no more than a .024 or even a .049? Was that not flying? Was there no joy?
Surely there was...
LT
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:56 AM
Hagerstown, MD
Joined Jan 2008
692 Posts
I asked about one of the first planes I ever "flew", a "Sportster" powered by an .020 cox engine in a different thread. After a lot of research, I found a picture of the box the kit came in.

http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com...-sportster.JPG

I was a pre-teenager, and my Father helped me build the plane. It flew at about eye level in a perfect circle, before "landing" in a small tree in the middle of the field. I learned a very important lesson that day. Never fly in a field with a tree in the middle!

I was so discouraged with that attempt that it took me years to actually try to fly a plane again. But, obviously, I overcame that initial discouragement !

Cheers and Merry Christmas ! Jim
jim_ag3y is offline Find More Posts by jim_ag3y
Old Dec 12, 2008, 03:10 PM
Fortson, Georgia
Joined Sep 2004
126 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, the engines should be here next week. I will put one on the test stand and video tape it and try to upload it to RCGroups. Hey, for $25 for a engine how can I go wrong. I have heard both good and bad about OK Cub engines. I will hope for the good. Everyone have a blessed Christmas and take a moment to reflect on it.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 07:19 PM
Joined Oct 2008
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_ag3y
I asked about one of the first planes I ever "flew", a "Sportster" powered by an .020 cox engine in a different thread. After a lot of research, I found a picture of the box the kit came in.

http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com...-sportster.JPG

I was a pre-teenager, and my Father helped me build the plane. It flew at about eye level in a perfect circle, before "landing" in a small tree in the middle of the field. I learned a very important lesson that day. Never fly in a field with a tree in the middle!

I was so discouraged with that attempt that it took me years to actually try to fly a plane again. But, obviously, I overcame that initial discouragement !

Cheers and Merry Christmas ! Jim
That Sportster is really cool!

As for the trees, small makes no difference. Neither does it placement in a field. All trees have airplane magnets in them. Also kite magnets.

LT