HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by BowerR64, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 08, 2008, 05:52 PM
BeeZaur 480
Parkville Mo.
Joined Dec 2004
5,522 Posts
Discussion
My camera rigs

My last hobbie before helicopters was photography, i didnt have a good eye for taking artistic images but after the time i spent on camera forums and just trial and error i found a really good method to take decent shots with just cheap or basic equipment.

My main 3 cameras i use can still be found i think. Canon powershot S2, powershot A700 and an A540

I chose canon because to my eye the LCD screen looks about as true as what i see color wise. I found the biggest part of adjusting the camera is what you see on the display. So if you get an eye for how it looks on the screen after the shot then you know what you need to change to get a brighter or darker shot.

I found the biggest problem with the cameras we can get today is lighting, the more the better. The more spread out even better.

Im using 35mm external flash units with a "flash trigger" that slips on the bottom of the flash so when your pocket camera flash fires, it then fires this larger external or "slave" flash. I usualy point it to my ceiling so it illuminates the whole room. Thats what gives me that studio kinda image because its actualy giving me light from all directions. I think it works very well and its so cheap its not even funny.
BowerR64 is offline Find More Posts by BowerR64
Last edited by BowerR64; Dec 08, 2008 at 06:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2008, 05:57 PM
BeeZaur 480
Parkville Mo.
Joined Dec 2004
5,522 Posts
The flash ring on the canon S2 i just made of cardboard. It just wraps around the lens and it redirects the onboard flash around the lens giving a sorta "Flash ring" lighting effect for super closeup shots of things like cirquitboards and stuff. I just slip it over the lens then pop up the flash inside the cardboard thing and crank the flash. I use the paper (printer paper) to defuse the flash so it spreads out the light more evenly.

This was the first one i ever built and its been threw alot. I should of just glued it and then painted it but i lost interest once i got into helicopters

The canon S2 has this "super macro mode" i can get from touching the lens to about 12" i think. It has macro, super macro and then 10X zoom. A really hard camera to beat for what it can do focal wise.
BowerR64 is offline Find More Posts by BowerR64